Hull wrap

Polished my hull 2 years ago still looks good. 

Wont need a full cut and polish, instead I’ll wax polish it and it’ll take a day with electric polisher..... 

Top sides get done every 12 months, hull every 2 years. 

it’s a fishing boat so maybe not quite as detailed a saiking boat.... but when at sea no one notices 😉 

5 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yes I am aware of this and that’s my only reservation. I don’t have time to polish the boat myself. I’ve been quoted £340 to polish the hull and if it needs doing every season that 2500-3400 quid over the life time of the wrap. The wrap is better value over the life time. Could be even better value seeing as the guy wants his bathroom re done! 

Give it a go Neil ...... apart from the initial cost profile you have got nothing to lose. If it doesn't work out like you hoped then it is pretty easy to reverse back to where you are now with just a small dent in your wallet. 

However, it does damage easily so you will need to be mega careful when berthing an also when any boats pull along side.

38 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Given that I need to get my hull polished, I wonder if we can get a volume discount for both @Saintly Fish? Or we split the cost of a decent DA polisher and DIY?

That’s worth considering either way. Gives us something to chat about Sunday 🤞🏻

10 hours ago, JonC said:

What does it do different? I know it’s going to be far better quality and more robust than a normal polisher but is there a different function? 

Part of the difference is that they don't do perfect circles, they throw a different rotation pattern and eliminate swirls. They also have a slip or stall setting which eliminates to much power and heat to certain delicate paint surfaces. Theres also the trigger that can control the speed of the rotation and soft slow start up. As already mentioned, much has to do with comfort and vibration in the hand. When I looked into purchasing I asked a few car smash repair yards if they recommended the likes of rupes polishers etc and I didn't find any commercial user that actually used them as they claimed the Makita had several advantages over them, one being half the cost. The Makita has a setting where you can use it like the high end models allowing for slip or you can set it to not slip (which I tend to use most of the time). I only use the slip function on finishing polishes on our vehicles. Makita also gives a 3 year warranty over here on this model. Plenty of info on youtube explaining polishers better.

For a boat wrap to be fitted the hull will need to be polished if its oxidised badly. I believe here 3M products get the better ratings.

In regards to fitting while on a trailer, there are numerous videos on this. This is just on a small boat but there are videos doing it on far bigger boats.

Edited by JDP