Beach casting reel suggestions please....

I know you will say Shimano Aero/ultegra etc etc 

but i'm after a decent sub £100 fixed spool reel for general shore fishing - to replace my cheap starter reel

i was thinking

penn rival longcast 6000

Diawa shorecast 6000

Okuma surf 8000

Shimano beastmaster 

akios fury FX8

13 minutes ago, JonC said:

Abu 6500 mag elite. The 6500 are tried and proven reels that will last years. Fuck fixed spool reels there for flids. 

I have an Abu 6500 C3 CT Mag - I wanted a FS for night fishing!

Edited by mike farrants

9 minutes ago, JonC said:

The 6500 will work in the dark just fine. And fog, wind, rain,sand storms and solar eclipses. 

Yeah, but he asked for recommendations for fixed spool reels. Telling him to get a multi is like you asking for a pot noodle recommendation and me telling you to try fresh noodles instead - they're still noodles, but not what you asked for... 🤦‍♂️

9 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Yeah, but he asked for recommendations for fixed spool reels. Telling him to get a multi is like you asking for a pot noodle recommendation and me telling you to try fresh noodles instead - they're still noodles, but not what you asked for... 🤦‍♂️

Yor comparison has no relevance in the context of the subject matter 

@mike farrants you need to practice more. 
To start off with I would suggest wearing only a blindfold to practice in. Nothing else, you need to be at one with the reel. If you haven’t got time to go to the beach then just go to the park, but wear a pair of crocs because there’s bound to be dog shit everywhere. Rex hunt wears crocs and he’s the best. 

so heres the thing - I grew up using a multi - without brakes or any assistance other than my thumb - i had to stop the weight just before touchdown to avoid a birds-nest - as a rsult i used FS at night - I now have a shiney magged multi - but no idea what it can and cant do - do i not need to stop it with my thumb then? 

i eat a lot of carrots but i have no chance of seeing a lead touch down in the dark even if i can only cast 20yrds 🤣

12 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

do i not need to stop it with my thumb then? 

Yes you will still need to control it with your thumb. An experienced multi caster will be able to tell by the sound of the spool speed slowing when to thumb it. I don't do enough casting, and for this reason I also use a FS reel on the beach. A decent 8-10'000 will land anything and cast miles. 

25 minutes ago, JonC said:

Beach?!!! Why on earth is this question being asked on the boat angling techniques page? 

i looked for a shore angling equipment section and there wasn't one - this felt the closest - there was one about stinky baits..... but that would have been wrong too. 

feel free to move it to fishy humour if that's more appropriate!

15 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

i looked for a shore angling equipment section and there wasn't one - this felt the closest - there was one about stinky baits..... but that would have been wrong too. 

feel free to move it to fishy humour if that's more appropriate!

I’m not that kind of guy, we have a moderator  hoo like’s moving stuff around. 

2 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

why not just answer the question, if you don't lick fixed reals .just give your reasons for that. don't fright-on other people of giving theirs.

i might add that you do have a lot of very good idears

As I’ve said above this was @mike farrants ‘ way of asking for help fishing in the dark. He’s right , the dark is scary especially when you look over yor shoulder and see hundreds of pairs of eyes staring at you from the bushes.

We have a duty of care to help him out.