Beach casting reel suggestions please....

3 minutes ago, JonC said:

As I’ve said above this was @mike farrants ‘ way of asking for help fishing in the dark. He’s right , the dark is scary especially when you look over yor shoulder and see hundreds of pairs of eyes staring at you from the bushes.

We have a duty of care to help him out. 

what are you doing in the bushes anyway ?

I’ve heard a lot of good reports of the Okuma. Some are saying it knocks the spots off the Penn equivalent. I’m looking at them for boat fishing, lures and such like for those who don’t want to use a multi etc. 

Okuma kit can be good. Some of has the build quality of cheese but the same can be said for all the main brands. Have a look online see what you can find but like I say I’ve heard good things. 

Other option is buy second hand. Usually lots of gear for sale post Xmas as fisherman get new gear…. Or most do…. This one is unlikely to get any unless he orders it for himself 

40 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I’ve heard a lot of good reports of the Okuma. Some are saying it knocks the spots off the Penn equivalent. I’m looking at them for boat fishing, lures and such like for those who don’t want to use a multi etc. 

Okuma kit can be good. Some of has the build quality of cheese but the same can be said for all the main brands. Have a look online see what you can find but like I say I’ve heard good things. 

Other option is buy second hand. Usually lots of gear for sale post Xmas as fisherman get new gear…. Or most do…. This one is unlikely to get any unless he orders it for himself 

I looked at an okuma lever drag recently, I was told it was the same as an avit. There seemed to be a lot of play on the handle, maybe an 8th of a turn before it seemed to engage. 
As for penn reels I know Fils tackle has been selling loads of Slammers, they seem very popular, too early to judge the durability though. 

19 hours ago, JonC said:

I looked at an okuma lever drag recently, I was told it was the same as an avit. There seemed to be a lot of play on the handle, maybe an 8th of a turn before it seemed to engage. 
As for penn reels I know Fils tackle has been selling loads of Slammers, they seem very popular, too early to judge the durability though. 

They are not as good as Avets. However, Avets need to be treated carefully and not crank the drag up and use it as a winch else you’ll overcompress the bearings and knacker it… 

Avets can suffer from corrosion but just was them after use but the drag is very very smooth, great for running fish 

8 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

They are not as good as Avets. However, Avets need to be treated carefully and not crank the drag up and use it as a winch else you’ll overcompress the bearings and knacker it… 

Avets can suffer from corrosion but just was them after use but the drag is very very smooth, great for running fish 

Does the avit have the slack in the retrieve the same? I don’t know if I could live with that. 

2 hours ago, JonC said:

Does the avit have the slack in the retrieve the same? I don’t know if I could live with that. 

Nope… uses an ARB not a dog pawl (on the smaller models) 

Edited by Odyssey

17 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Nope… uses an ARB not a dog pawl (on the smaller models) 

Shirley you mean Sprag (one way bearing) ?

AR-B and ARB are Anti Rust Bearings, but in the case of Shimano, that is debatable 🤣

Fin-nor use a Sprag  bearing AND a feck’in annoying dog pawl for belt and braces. We usually remove the pawl to make to reel silent. Although I can crank up the drag to 45lb ish, I have never had a sprag slip.

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

Shirley you mean Sprag (one way bearing) ?

AR-B and ARB are Anti Rust Bearings, but in the case of Shimano, that is debatable 🤣

Fin-nor use a Sprag  bearing AND a feck’in annoying dog pawl for belt and braces. We usually remove the pawl to make to reel silent. Although I can crank up the drag to 45lb ish, I have never had a sprag slip.

That’s all grease monkey lingo…. I’m an electronics engineer, not a mech one… 😉 

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

I’m an electronics engineer,

So am I …… RF ( DC to daylight), telephony, secure comms, paging, ETACS, GSM, microwave, and satellites 😉

But I come from a family of mechanical and precision engineers, and it sort of rubs off 🙄

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Blimey you lot have really drifted @mike farrants's thread. Poor guy wants to know about reels not your qualifications. 
How's he gunna get a stocking filler with that kind of info? Unless he's into ballbearings!

you left out scaffolding he can have a erection anywhere