Rod wrapper completed

thejollysinker

Some time ago I posted about making a rod wrapper/dryer. I’ve finally made it but never did find a way of getting it to work from one motor to do the wrapping and drying, so, it has 2 motors, a sewing machine one that is almost infinitely variable for wrapping (as I wired in a rheostat for fine control) and a synchronous motor for drying. 
The base for the whole thing is a 3m length of ali curtain walling from my glazing days, cut in two and jointed with an oak table leg offcut. 
The main assembly is made from various pieces of ali that I’ve hoarded over the years and some of the parts have been knocked up by my boy (who’s a toolmaker) which has made the whole thing work like a dream. 
I’ve used a system of custom made belts to drive everything at specified speeds for wrapping and drying which is a bit fiddly but does the job admirably.

I have also made a hook on thread station which can hold up to 4 bobbins but this does need some more work to make perfect.

A cheap marketplace Daiwa whisker 12/30 that I picked up for £20 has been rebuilt on it, although I fucked up on the resin (which was too old really) which doesn’t affect its performance but isn’t nice and clear so lesson learned there, chuck old resin in the bin 😐

I have a pair of Cono-flex Nemesis Plus that I wrapped by hand ready for resin which, when I have permission to take over the dining table from the missus, will be getting the resin treatment. If I fuck this up I won’t be happy as they took ages to make so brand new resin is waiting to be mixed 😅

796AB4F0-2B12-431C-B62B-577910BB1D73.jpeg

B619760D-B4A7-4DF5-A92A-E9FC2B4251A5.jpeg

420E8ECB-BCA4-4D5D-B340-47648BB6AF5A.jpeg

B01CD2C3-650D-487F-9F3A-C19F168B8E9D.jpeg

16A5A6B7-442F-412B-885D-4FAA1AD94659.jpeg

6D89B2FE-6840-4115-B8A8-2EAA5AFF13B0.jpeg

10 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Excellent work.

Instead of a rheostat controlled motor, which isn't load sensing, you could have used a washing machine motor and a closed loop controller from RS Comps (not expensive). I use one on my 1945 Boxford lathe.

a washing machine motor would have been a bit big for this application I think.... the rheostat is wired in with the foot controller so I have the ability to run very slowly for trickier bits and very fast for the big wraps.

8 minutes ago, thejollysinker said:

a washing machine motor would have been a bit big for this application I think.... the rheostat is wired in with the foot controller so I have the ability to run very slowly for trickier bits and very fast for the big wraps.

Sounds like a sowing machine motor would be about right, they have an incremental pedal or whatever it’s called 

On 12/31/2022 at 3:04 PM, Andy135 said:

That looks like a nicely engineered set up. Top spannering 👍

Are you planning to branch out into rod building as a side hustle?

Cheers Andy, mostly made up of stuff that was begging to be used.

Quite possibly. I've dabbled for years since 1991 and done a reasonable job on various rods that I've just pulled apart and re-built for practice.  I've even had a go at doing a couple of diamond wraps for fun and tbf, they looked pretty good for a beginner (I'll try and find a photo or two). 

The scary bit atm is the resin application. I'm too keen to get stuff finished most of the time so tend to rush but I know I need to practice some self restraint here..... I will post pictures when those Nemesis rods are finished, regardless 😬

8 hours ago, Ivan Tuna said:

Very impressive. You should do a line spooling station next 

Cheers mate.

Many moons ago I was in California (don't ask why...) as a young man desperate to use a multiplier for beach fishing and took some advice from a guy in a tackle shop there. Being very naive, I settled on a Penn Jigmaster (still got it) loaded with 15lb line 🤦‍♂️.... He set it up on a spooling station looking at me like I was some kind of thickie (I didn't know) and proceeded to load it up. Didn't take very long and I was chuffed to bits to take it away and practice with when I got back to good old Blighty.

Out on the field well, you can probably guess.... burnt thumb and scorched line 🤣

I'll need to think how useful a spooling station could be to me 🙂

15 hours ago, thejollysinker said:

I've dabbled for years since 1991 and done a reasonable job on various rods that I've just pulled apart and re-built for practice.

You seem to be doing well, I have redone a few rods since I was a teen but all were awful looking at best but still use able. Just did my GX2 kayak rods as they had rubbish rings and again they are awful to look at but are catching fish, I'm not mad about the aesthetics but can see why some people like to have a working piece of art. 

All the best to you!

3 hours ago, Malc said:

You seem to be doing well, I have redone a few rods since I was a teen but all were awful looking at best but still use able. Just did my GX2 kayak rods as they had rubbish rings and again they are awful to look at but are catching fish, I'm not mad about the aesthetics but can see why some people like to have a working piece of art. 

All the best to you!

cheers Malc, nothing wrong with functional, if it works it works. Kayak rods are probably the most likely to get bashed about anyway so I wouldn't want to take a really nice rod out on one, it's bad enough on my boat!

All the best to you too 🙂

Looks the dogs danglies 🙂 

Microwave motors make good motors for drying motors as the RPM rate is quite low. 

Other option for a rod wrapping motor is cordless drill motor& gearbox, but looks like you’re sorted with what you’ve got 🙂 

The first attempt at a diamond wrap on the butt of an old glass DAM pike rod, not very straight.

DFF1AB0E-59E8-477A-8AF8-F6DC648E5206.thumb.jpeg.85ec6426b2440788e7308d2132e145c6.jpeg

the next two were done with a bit more precision on an old Shakespeare Admiral which, tbf is quite a nice little rod, perfect for blasting 4oz but still capable with 5oz.

D44E944B-21E0-4428-BB78-07252797A214.thumb.jpeg.73ebdd65d7dce495035c8567f25770d2.jpeg

B1E0AC0A-B8E4-458D-ABD4-34E1B291578F.thumb.jpeg.292b788ba9c3d917cb0b9f2d9ace5f0e.jpeg

The only let down with them was the lack of resin for finishing as I literally had no money (1991 recession) so I used yacht varnish which is yellow 🤷‍♂️

never mind, it was good practice 😊

9 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Looks the dogs danglies 🙂 

Microwave motors make good motors for drying motors as the RPM rate is quite low. 

Other option for a rod wrapping motor is cordless drill motor& gearbox, but looks like you’re sorted with what you’ve got 🙂 

Thank you, I hope to get some good use out of it.

The drying motor is very similar to a microwave (synchronous) motor which turns at 55rpm, which is reduced to 14.5rpm, 20.5 and 35 respectively according to which belt is selected for the multi pulley… bit of a faff with all the belts but it works and is reliable 🙂