PWC Negligent Use

Odyssey

Looks like rules are toughening up in PWC (Jetskis and the like) 

Perhaps this is a good thing…. I know they can be a pain the behind in certain locations…

https://www.rya.org.uk/news/rya-welcomes-legislation-to-regulate-the-safe-operation-of-personal-watercraft

However I do expect there to be a toughening up of training for boaters in the future, akin to needing a PB2 to launch from slips and to berth in marinas, but currently it’s only being talked about in certain circles not even up for consultation yet but who knows wgst will happen in the future….

I think it’s on the back of this incident a few years ago…

https://www.gov.uk/maib-reports/collision-between-rigid-inflatable-boat-rib-tickler-and-a-personal-watercraft-with-loss-of-1-life

Personally if I see a jetski or RIB doing stupid manuvres in my wake it’s 5 blasts on the horn… just too risky… interested to hear other people’s thoughts/experiences… 

more training or legislation needed?

Edited by Odyssey

In Poole we have the marine section police (part time) who have a rib you wont get away from unless you can go into the shallows and jet skis.  Harbour control have several boats and jet skis who do police the harbour fairly regularly but especially the summer months.  PHC also have the harbour almost completely covered with radar and cameras.  We also have Dads army also known as MVS who plod around the harbour in a six knot skip

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

And you have those in your area? We certainly don't. One harbour master on the Hamble river but that's about it. You'd be lucky to even see a copper around here! 

Yep we have police boats driving around and harbour master as it’s a commercial port. 

Fun starts in sheltered areas where there is enforcement… 

Good news here, they (jet skis) are a freaking nightmare, tearing down river at mac3 not 6kn and right up to the beach where they should not go as it's cordoned off. Only a matter of time before I have a close encounter with one and my kayak 😲

9 minutes ago, Malc said:

Good news here, they (jet skis) are a freaking nightmare, tearing down river at mac3 not 6kn and right up to the beach where they should not go as it's cordoned off. Only a matter of time before I have a close encounter with one and my kayak 😲

In my village there is a sailing club and a Ski club. 
As a whole most of the ski club members are fairly considerate and well behaved, the odd one has to race through the moorings but not too bad. They have a very long membership waiting list so the threat of being banned helps. The worst offenders come from the caravan parks, they are a certain type of breed. They are affectionately known as the Romford Navy around here, 

13 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

That's cheap. On the Solent I've seen them go for £85k. 
madness

Slightly bigger but real mad prices... HERE

We used to live 8 miles or so away and in the late 80's considered buying one but it would have cost us all my resettlement grant of £1100. 😭

7 minutes ago, Malc said:

Slightly bigger but real mad prices... HERE

We used to live 8 miles or so away and in the late 80's considered buying one but it would have cost us all my resettlement grant of £1100. 😭

Yeah but that's a home not a beach shed! Nice view though. 

How did you get that? apparently only genuine gays are given that spreadum sheet. I always wondered why I got sly looks now I know thanks, I'll go back to wearing mums knitted bobble hat.  Have you any idea what that means

7 minutes ago, Maverick said:

How did you get that? apparently only genuine gays are given that spreadum sheet. I always wondered why I got sly looks now I know thanks, I'll go back to wearing mums knitted bobble hat.  Have you any idea what that means

You look like a twat??