So I'm now a boat owner........

So, with tomorrows imminent arrival of said boat things suddenly feel very real!!

I'm gonna be a proper boat owner!

The trailer whilst sound and in good nick, had had everything removed brake wise and the wheels / tyres are past their best so thats gonna need some love. Its Purely been used as a launching trailer and mover around the yard where its launched from.

I'm not one for taking risks so the downside is that it's cost a fair chunk on a recovery truck. The boats not local enough to sort in situ so it is what it is - my first unforseen expense!!!!

So all being well it'll be on the driveway tomorrow evening and the real fun and sleepless nights, through fear of it being nicked can begin!

1st job is sorting the trailer, whipping the wheels off and making it secure and prevent it going missing!

After that its onto getting the boat how want it.

It only has a single battery set up, so I'll need to install a 2nd and the associated wiring to go with it.

VHF is ancient, as is the garmin 160c fish finder so these need updating.

New anchor, chain and rope. 

Fire extinguisher and safety bits will need purchasing as will fenders.

Hull has previously been antifouled, so have a waterline to work to. Gonna need new coat, so some sanding and a new coat will make a difference.

The deck will either need repainting or a new top coat. I'm tempted by the later, and doesn't look too difficult to prep. But I'll need to remove a few extra pedalstal seats and fill the holes prior to this.

Whilst it's out if the water, I'm tempted to replace fuel lines and maybe even steering. That reminds me, I need to install a fuel water separator too.

Engine is sound and well looked after. Full service history and paper work supplied. Despite this, I may invest in the services of someone who knows their way around an outboard proper and have it looked over.

New cover will have to be purchased - but no rush on that.

So these are all the easy bits........ we'll discuss the more difficult stuff in due course. 

All being well, ill post up a few images tomorrow and you'll see how a perfectly good boat can be made Into an eye sore!!

Marina berth has been arranged for April, so I've 8 weeks to get her how I want her.

Oh, I also need to sort an auxiliary, ideally a 6hp as these seem popular.

Exciting times ahead.😬😬😬😬

10 hours ago, Jon cook said:

So, with tomorrows imminent arrival of said boat things suddenly feel very real!!

I'm gonna be a proper boat owner!

The trailer whilst sound and in good nick, had had everything removed brake wise and the wheels / tyres are past their best so thats gonna need some love. Its Purely been used as a launching trailer and mover around the yard where its launched from.

I'm not one for taking risks so the downside is that it's cost a fair chunk on a recovery truck. The boats not local enough to sort in situ so it is what it is - my first unforseen expense!!!!

So all being well it'll be on the driveway tomorrow evening and the real fun and sleepless nights, through fear of it being nicked can begin!

1st job is sorting the trailer, whipping the wheels off and making it secure and prevent it going missing!

After that its onto getting the boat how want it.

It only has a single battery set up, so I'll need to install a 2nd and the associated wiring to go with it.

VHF is ancient, as is the garmin 160c fish finder so these need updating.

New anchor, chain and rope. 

Fire extinguisher and safety bits will need purchasing as will fenders.

Hull has previously been antifouled, so have a waterline to work to. Gonna need new coat, so some sanding and a new coat will make a difference.

The deck will either need repainting or a new top coat. I'm tempted by the later, and doesn't look too difficult to prep. But I'll need to remove a few extra pedalstal seats and fill the holes prior to this.

Whilst it's out if the water, I'm tempted to replace fuel lines and maybe even steering. That reminds me, I need to install a fuel water separator too.

Engine is sound and well looked after. Full service history and paper work supplied. Despite this, I may invest in the services of someone who knows their way around an outboard proper and have it looked over.

New cover will have to be purchased - but no rush on that.

So these are all the easy bits........ we'll discuss the more difficult stuff in due course. 

All being well, ill post up a few images tomorrow and you'll see how a perfectly good boat can be made Into an eye sore!!

Marina berth has been arranged for April, so I've 8 weeks to get her how I want her.

Oh, I also need to sort an auxiliary, ideally a 6hp as these seem popular.

Exciting times ahead.😬😬😬😬

Congratulations. Seems like there's plenty of elbow grease ahead.

On the auxiliary... what makes you say you need one? If the main engine is as good as you say then why the need for an aux? My last two boats haven't had auxiliaries, and on my first boat I never used the aux. Just suggesting there may not really be a need for one.

Congrats @Jon cook. Looking forward to seeing some before/during/after photos! Don't be as slow as @Geoff and @captin slows old outlaw or you'll never see the water!! 
I agree with Andy about the auxiliary, in 12 years I've never had one and never needed one. Just keep the engine well maintained and your trolling valve shut!!! 

What boat is it? Picture please. 

As for getting an auxiliary- I have one onboard, though it is stowed away because it looks messy on the back. 
As said regular maintenance can safeguard against mechanical failures but there are things that are outside of your control that can fuck you up. I was all for the no auxiliary school of thought until this happened 159F83A6-1841-4416-96AF-940B8A2E2656.thumb.jpeg.8844ff3351e8a841ba373381a1d35089.jpegNo amount of maintenance would have helped me avoid this. Also for an auxiliary keep a separate tank of fuel, fuel contamination or blocked filters is a common cause for engine bother. 

1 hour ago, Jon cook said:

Wheres the idiots guide to postings photos!?!?!?

Re the auxiliary- I'm a wimp so would fill happier with one!

Boats safely on the driveway🤪

Idiot's guide, you say? Well, if the cap fits, Jon!

It's been used as a safety / starting boat on the Thames, but since Covid struck its hardly used and the charity decided its best sold and the money used else where.

The previous 2 sales ive managed to  track down online as they were both sold via brokers.

The charity added them, I can see the logic, but kinda ruined it.

35 minutes ago, Jon cook said:

Yep, they gotta come off. Will be hours of work to make good thou... I'll do some close up picks.

Lots of sikaflex and bolted through.

1st job though is the trailer.

If they are stuck with sikaflex then it will rip the gel coat off, could get a wrap done, it would save a lot of work 

Congratulations. You know that you have just bought yourself a lovely boat and a load of work, but you will have a tremendous sense of achievement when you see her finished. It may take a little while, but will be well worth it and should have added some value to your rig. Geoff.👍

30 minutes ago, JonC said:

If they are stuck with sikaflex then it will rip the gel coat off, could get a wrap done, it would save a lot of work 

I was thinking of a vinal wrap, but I still gotta take it all off and make good beforen hand.

24 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

If they are sikaflexed on, use a guitarstring/cheese wire to get between them and the gelcoat, then a stanley blade scraper to remove excess adhesive

Sounds easy on paper

Is every one of those fitted using screws through the hull ?

Bolted through.

It's been done well, and each nut & bolted is supported with washers either side of the Hull.