MegaByte home

16 minutes ago, JonC said:

@GPSguru. Don’t you start or I’ll get you put in a home 🖕

Well, your post was your usual stupidity 🙄

you were implying that you don't use ropes on a pontoon, when the reality is you actually have more ropes to worry about. Often when launched double handed we use no ropes at all.

Whilst there is an element of convenience being moored on a pontoon, that element is often nullified by the fact that once a year you have to paint the hull (which uses more fuel and makes the boat slower) and any hull / powerplant issues are not easily resolved.

Another point is most slips are close to the open sea with very little ‘speed limit’ travel time.

Obviously pontoon mooring suites larger boats, but with trailered boats it is very much a matter of choice as to what is most convenient for the user.

38 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Well, your post was your usual stupidity 🙄

you were implying that you don't use ropes on a pontoon, when the reality is you actually have more ropes to worry about. Often when launched double handed we use no ropes at all.

Whilst there is an element of convenience being moored on a pontoon, that element is often nullified by the fact that once a year you have to paint the hull (which uses more fuel and makes the boat slower) and any hull / powerplant issues are not easily resolved.

Another point is most slips are close to the open sea with very little ‘speed limit’ travel time.

Obviously pontoon mooring suites larger boats, but with trailered boats it is very much a matter of choice as to what is most convenient for the user.

For all of this, you can’t get away from the simple fact that being on a pontoon is easier access, whatever system you use. If I leave my house and go to the marina at the same time as someone who is equal distance away and dragging a trailer with them I will be on board and underway before them. That’s surely undeniable? 
Maintenance etc is a different conversation. If you want to bring random points into the subject I bet more boats are stolen that are in trailers than from marinas. 

Personally I’d love both…. My big boat for offshore work and weekends away, then a RIB or other boat I can drag to a suitable location to catch other fish…. Sadly not quite there yet but maybe one day….

56 minutes ago, JonC said:

For all of this, you can’t get away from the simple fact that being on a pontoon is easier access, whatever system you use. If I leave my house and go to the marina at the same time as someone who is equal distance away and dragging a trailer with them I will be on board and underway before them. That’s surely undeniable? 
Maintenance etc is a different conversation. If you want to bring random points into the subject I bet more boats are stolen that are in trailers than from marinas. 

You have to evaluate the whole picture, so yes, maintenance is part of the picture.

For me, slip launching just makes common sense.

My nearest marina’s are Torquay, Brixham, and Exmouth. The nearest is Torquay and it is 30 minutes drive (on a good day - closer to 1hr on a busy summer day) plus parking plus walking down the pontoons, so probably 45 mins to get to a boat.

My nearest slip is 10 mins and the launch plus parking takes 5 mins. 

When bro-in-law had his boat on torquay MDL, we would both leave home at the same time (he lives near me) and I would launch, travel 6 Nm to the orestone and be catching fish before he got there, and the orestone is only 2 miles from torquay MDL.

17 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

You have to evaluate the whole picture, so yes, maintenance is part of the picture.

For me, slip launching just makes common sense.

My nearest marina’s are Torquay, Brixham, and Exmouth. The nearest is Torquay and it is 30 minutes drive (on a good day - closer to 1hr on a busy summer day) plus parking plus walking down the pontoons, so probably 45 mins to get to a boat.

My nearest slip is 10 mins and the launch plus parking takes 5 mins. 

When bro-in-law had his boat on torquay MDL, we would both leave home at the same time (he lives near me) and I would launch, travel 6 Nm to the orestone and be catching fish before he got there, and the orestone is only 2 miles from torquay MDL.

But if you lived 5-10 mins from the marina?? 

Let's get @Andy135 involved. He's had a trailerable boat (albeit in a compound), and a marina dry stack berth. 

12 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Let's get @Andy135 involved. He's had a trailerable boat (albeit in a compound), and a marina dry stack berth. 

Exactly what I am saying 👍, you need to evaluate the whole picture to see what suits best.

18 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Are you calling your first witness to the stand? 

2 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yes , just that. But he's a neutral and doesn't own a boat. So not sure if he's eligible. 

We really only should use sensible witnesses who agree with me if we want a fair and reasonable debate. But there is no debate 

• JonC locked this topic
On 3/14/2023 at 7:47 PM, Saintly Fish said:

I can see both sides of this.

On one hand, walking along the pontoon and onto the boat is hard to beat for convenience. Anti-foul and winter haul outs were not an issue for me on a dry stack, so this really did offer all the upsides of a marina berth and few downsides (cost aside, coming back into the dry-stack pontoons at 4pm on a summer Saturday would usually see boats rafted up or queuing afloat to await a free space alongside, which was a bit of a pain).

On the other hand, when I had Apache I always wanted to trailer her to the West Country for a long weekend's fishing but just never got round to it. Not having a tow vehicle for the last couple of years of ownership was a bit of a show-stopper for this to be fair, and I never really felt good about towing anyway, but this could have been solved by more experience towing. What I will say though is that I quickly got bored of beach launching off the trailer single-handedly. There was no pontoon to tie up alongside when I had her, so if I wanted a solo trip I would have to walk the anchor up the beach then stow the trailer and tractor before getting afloat. Just a chore at the best of times, let alone when I'm wondering if she had come adrift and was floating out of Langstone Harbour on a 6kt flood.

I'm considering a trailer boat for my next one (along with a vehicle to tow it) and maybe tow it down to Devon for the summer, then over-winter it back on my drive or maybe on a dry-stack on the S. coast for the cod season. Not sure yet, but given that I don't live 5 mins from a marina, I may as well get the benefit of being mobile and therefore more flexible in where I fish. If I have to drive 90 mins to the coast, then if I have a trailer boat I can pick and choose the direction I spend those 90 mins travelling in, rather than going to the same old ground chasing the same old dogfish.

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

I can see both sides of this.

On one hand, walking along the pontoon and onto the boat is hard to beat for convenience. Anti-foul and winter haul outs were not an issue for me on a dry stack, so this really did offer all the upsides of a marina berth and few downsides (cost aside, coming back into the dry-stack pontoons at 4pm on a summer Saturday would usually see boats rafted up or queuing afloat to await a free space alongside, which was a bit of a pain).

On the other hand, when I had Apache I always wanted to trailer her to the West Country for a long weekend's fishing but just never got round to it. Not having a tow vehicle for the last couple of years of ownership was a bit of a show-stopper for this to be fair, and I never really felt good about towing anyway, but this could have been solved by more experience towing. What I will say though is that I quickly got bored of beach launching off the trailer single-handedly. There was no pontoon to tie up alongside when I had her, so if I wanted a solo trip I would have to walk the anchor up the beach then stow the trailer and tractor before getting afloat. Just a chore at the best of times, let alone when I'm wondering if she had come adrift and was floating out of Langstone Harbour on a 6kt flood.

I'm considering a trailer boat for my next one (along with a vehicle to tow it) and maybe tow it down to Devon for the summer, then over-winter it back on my drive or maybe on a dry-stack on the S. coast for the cod season. Not sure yet, but given that I don't live 5 mins from a marina, I may as well get the benefit of being mobile and therefore more flexible in where I fish. If I have to drive 90 mins to the coast, then if I have a trailer boat I can pick and choose the direction I spend those 90 mins travelling in, rather than going to the same old ground chasing the same old dogfish.

Anyone who hopes that the tuna fishing will open up to being legally able to do from their own boat will do better with something they can launch where the fish are, same goes for sharking really. Some of the heavy tackle needed is quite an investment, so hoping the fish will simply turn up in range of your dock every weekend would be extremely unlikely and the investment wasted. 

Getting out and exploring the many wrecks around the coast is a no brainer, the trailer boat would have far more options for a variety of species. Weekends away with the family exploring new waterways and restaurants in the evening might appeal to the other half too, even if he or she doesn't fish during the day. 

However if I didn't have the room to keep a boat at home I would consider a more permanent place to keep it but having had several boats kept on swinging moorings and pontoons I personally found it to be restrictive, time consuming and expensive, not to mention I lost one of my boats on a swing mooring to a storm. 

Out of my last five boating trips, only one has been from my local area.

1 hour ago, JDP said:

Anyone who hopes that the tuna fishing will open up to being legally able to do from their own boat will do better with something they can launch where the fish are, same goes for sharking really. Some of the heavy tackle needed is quite an investment, so hoping the fish will simply turn up in range of your dock every weekend would be extremely unlikely and the investment wasted. 

Getting out and exploring the many wrecks around the coast is a no brainer, the trailer boat would have far more options for a variety of species. Weekends away with the family exploring new waterways and restaurants in the evening might appeal to the other half too, even if he or she doesn't fish during the day. 

However if I didn't have the room to keep a boat at home I would consider a more permanent place to keep it but having had several boats kept on swinging moorings and pontoons I personally found it to be restrictive, time consuming and expensive, not to mention I lost one of my boats on a swing mooring to a storm. 

Out of my last five boating trips, only one has been from my local area.

I completely agree…. I’m based in Milford. If I was hunting Tuna or sharks on a smaller boat I’d want to be mobile…. 

Just a shame that there are not that many really good places to launch… in Bristol Channel we are fortunate to have quite a few but given size of tides they are limited by tides (except Cardiff and perhaps Milford haven). 

A trailer boat is tempting…. A nice RIB I can code, use for teaching and a few trips in summer and then drag it down south for the big stuff while keeping main boat for 80% of my fishing but funds don’t allow for 2 sadly…. So I guess I’ll just have to drag Emma to Australia and move out there instwsd 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

7 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

So I guess I’ll just have to drag Emma to Australia and move out there instwsd 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I spent a few years there, near Brisbane. It is worth the effort. I vividly remember our barramundi trips up to Northern QLD, and walking in the shallow water of the whit sunday islands with 100 - 200lb stingers swimming around your feet !

It was the family responsibilities that brought us back, together with a move up the employment ladder.

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

I spent a few years there, near Brisbane. It is worth the effort. I vividly remember our barramundi trips up to Northern QLD, and walking in the shallow water of the whit sunday islands with 100 - 200lb stingers swimming around your feet !

It was the family responsibilities that brought us back, together with a move up the employment ladder.

If I were to live out there it’d be as divorcee, Em ain’t moving Aus so I’d best stay home 🙂 

2 hours ago, JonC said:

Unfortunately the usual people turned this post into a tuna fishing glory hole. 

Unfortunately not.

Once you had lost the argument and the plot, you then returned to your childishness and locked the thread, which only demonstrates negativity to all those non members that may read it 🙄.  You can only reap what you sow 🤷‍♂️

8 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Unfortunately not.

Once you had lost the argument and the plot, you then returned to your childishness and locked the thread, which only demonstrates negativity to all those non members that may read it 🙄.  You can only reap what you sow 🤷‍♂️

I locked the thread because it had drifted from being a post about Megabite’s boat and his yearly maintenance into the repetitive ‘my way or no way 300000 km marlin fishing’ that had little to do with maintenance. 
 You talk about non members being put off? If a non member clicks on a post about yearly maintenance in the boat maintenance section then that’s what they are looking to read, not shark fishing stuff that has it’s own page.

Any more backchat from you and I will use my official super powers.