More trailer boat action!!!!!!

JDP

The weather was too bad to launch from my local ramp and harbour so I headed up the coast to larger harbour with a wider river mouth less effected by swell and current.

Around 60 boats had all planned the same move but launching with experienced boaters means you seldom need to wait, we didn't. Having trailer boats means we can easily follow fish or simply target different species anywhere around the coast or even on the inland rivers, dams and lakes etc. Launching at various different locations keeps you on your toes in regard to navigating and boating skills, also stops the kids getting bored of fishing the same location week after week. 

We took just two frozen mackerel incase we couldn't find fresh bait, sure enough finding mackerel was tough on this trip. The frozen baits had been setup on the outriggers as skip baits and was was hit instantly but unfortunately the trace was sliced through, most likely mako.

Luckily we found some bait, the hard bit was getting it up from 180m using big leads to get the bait jig to the bottom.

Water temps were a touch high for stripped marlin, the more common at the moment, however it wasn't long before we hooked into the first black marlin of the day. We had the fish traced at the side of the boat in minutes but the young 13yr old lad couldn't hold onto to it so a deep water battle then persisted for his 15yr old older brother!!!!!...It's good getting the kids to drive the boat and do all the hard work!!!!!...by the way the kids should have been at school😶

Once that one was released it was time for my youngest daughters boyfriend to take the next fish. Again another lively black marlin was soon found using my incredible fish finding skills🤣 and he was into marlin number for his third trip and 11 for the boat. Again this stubborn little black kept wanting to fight deep using the current to help keep its head down and draw out the fight for around 40mins. Left the fish biting again and headed home with the left over baits for another quick beach sharking trip.

Had today off as I was starting to feel shagged!!!!!....might be up for an afternoon trip tomorrow if the swell backs off.

_JDP5645.thumb.jpg.d0d08afe6c6b04bb6b9473f189e21749.jpg

_JDP5726.thumb.jpg.33b0e7e634a5420eec69e97b191327fa.jpg

_JDP5698.thumb.jpg.b91278510f9d5e74a84ad8ef7d103f72.jpg

_JDP5710.thumb.jpg.2a6f7896a3ad96fea0deec327dc7a3db.jpg

_JDP5665.thumb.jpg.4580e55d036f2b6d12dbbb25a597f3dd.jpg

_JDP5547.thumb.jpg.f341c417f3c13243686e23032cca88a5.jpg

7 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Awesome pics! 🙂 as for the fishing…. Well

im packing my bags and heading over 🤣

Many boats are catching around 10 marlin per day but the way they do it isn't the way I like targeting them. When some boats find marlin feeding on bait they use very long wind on 200lb traces which as soon as they touch by hand counts as a capture. The mono is then held and pulled until either the hook straightens or the fish is handled to the boat. Its very quick and allows the anglers to pull more marlin of single bait balls rather than motor away fighting a fish for a photo like we do. Its good in some ways as the fish barley realises its been hooked and the skipper who's caught the most per day has the biggest penis☺️.

If I was a paying customer, I think I would at least like a look of the fish up close rather than a quick look at one jumping some distance from the boat. Its much the same on mako comps where some boats can capture 20 sharks in a day on light line class. 

What are other peoples thought on this style of catch and release ? Would you like to bring your porbeagle, blue or thresher to the boat so you can have a good look but with a longer fight where you get to see it and possibly grab a few quick photos, or chase it with the boat and grab a 9m leader to break the fish off so you can get back to catching another. By the way marlin are considered pretty hardy according to catch and release statistics. 

4 hours ago, JDP said:

What are other peoples thought on this style of catch and release ? Would you like to bring your porbeagle, blue or thresher to the boat so you can have a good look but with a longer fight where you get to see it and possibly grab a few quick photos, or chase it with the boat and grab a 9m leader to break the fish off so you can get back to catching another. By the way marlin are considered pretty hardy according to catch and release statistics. 

I do tend to chase big big fish like Tuna and Porbeagles with the boat, as it is good to get back to the reel top shot, then I tighten the drag right up and let them pull the boat, which really sucks the energy out of them. With Blues, we normally just bring them straight to the boat.

The only time I have ever intentionally pulled for a break is in the Maroochydore inlet, when I hooked something big that was taking us out to sea and the wive’s were getting worried. I assume it was a big Bull shark, but totally unstoppable on the gear I was using.

Edited by GPSguru

4 hours ago, GPSguru said:

I do tend to chase big big fish like Tuna and Porbeagles with the boat, as it is good to get back to the reel top shot, then I tighten the drag right up and let them pull the boat, which really sucks the energy out of them. With Blues, we normally just bring them straight to the boat.

The only time I have ever intentionally pulled for a break is in the Maroochydore inlet, when I hooked something big that was taking us out to sea and the wive’s were getting worried. I assume it was a big Bull shark, but totally unstoppable on the gear I was using.

We also have to use the boat and drags are set to the max for 24kg right from the hookup, its just that we don't use the extremely long leaders. Something else we do a little different form my UK sharking days is having 250m of line on the reels before a join. Instead of replacing a complete spool of line after a season or line get damaged etc, its just the top 250m that gets replaced. Obviously with the spin outfits these are filled with braid and top shotted with mono and normally the quicker outfits to get fish back to the boat with. The three marlin caught on spin gear have all been by for the quickest released, one being the biggest of the 11 fish and covered approx 2nm of water was released in about 20mins. The spin outfits tend to have 80lb braid and obviously faster easier to handle rods, not to mention the spin rods are normally handled in most peoples dominant arm, unlike the heavy multi's on the weaker arm.

2 hours ago, JDP said:

Something else we do a little different form my UK sharking days is having 250m of line on the reels before a join. Instead of replacing a complete spool of line after a season or line get damaged etc, its just the top 250m that gets replaced. Obviously with the spin outfits these are filled with braid and top shotted with mono and normally the quicker outfits to get fish back to the boat with

For the bigger stuff I use Fin-Nor 2 speed multi's loaded with 375m of 80lb braid and a topshot of 50m of 80lb co-polymer shockleader. The Top shot to braid knot is a PR, and the top shot to wind-on leader is a multi twist loop knot

The only time the reels go into low gear is when the fish are circling deep below the boat, the low gear gives that extra bit of 'grunt' to get them moving through the water column.

Today I have been mixing chum (burley), and freezing it down ready for a season start in Mid to late April 👍, it's a shite & smelly job, but good for clearing out the bait freezer ready for some fresher baits to be frozen down.

Edited by GPSguru

2 hours ago, GPSguru said:

For the bigger stuff I use Fin-Nor 2 speed multi's loaded with 375m of 80lb braid and a topshot of 50m of 80lb co-polymer shockleader. The Top shot to braid knot is a PR, and the top shot to wind-on leader is a multi twist loop knot

The only time the reels go into low gear is when the fish are circling deep below the boat, the low gear gives that extra bit of 'grunt' to get them moving through the water column.

Today I have been mixing chum (burley), and freezing it down ready for a season start in Mid to late April 👍, it's a shite & smelly job, but good for clearing out the bait freezer ready for some fresher baits to be frozen down.

I used to get my fish waste from a local wholesaler who sold to fish shops when I lived on the IOW. I had to climb into a big biffa bins with a large plastic shovel to fill my 20lt buckets, saved having to kill to many mackerel or have a large freezer. I hit the breaks hard once and had 4 x 20lt drums of fish snot from the back to the front of the car, maggot city!!!!!!

Edited by JDP

Absolutely insane results

amazing pics.

10’marlin a day 20

mako a day …

im booking a ticket ..! I’m already in Thailand now how much further 😄

re: the leadering ect.

personally yes I would want that photo for the efforts gone in it’s nice to look back at these memories.

I have noticed this in marlin vids seems to be a quick release (which to me actually looked like a hook pull)

then away and understandably as their so so hectic boat side if that wasn’t classed as a catch many wouldn’t be ‘caught’..

iv done the same On a tuna think I put it on here couple seasons back 

got the lip hook in then slipped back out ect . And even tho I clearly completed the fight . I felt a little robbed of the photo ha.

saying that with multiple marlin in a day 

i think I’d be happy to catch one get aload of great shots for each anglers first one of the day

then pull the hook on the rest to keep the boat rotating with fish all day.

also… straightening the hooks ??

On 3/16/2023 at 7:12 PM, JDP said:

Many boats are catching around 10 marlin per day but the way they do it isn't the way I like targeting them. When some boats find marlin feeding on bait they use very long wind on 200lb traces which as soon as they touch by hand counts as a capture. The mono is then held and pulled until either the hook straightens or the fish is handled to the boat. Its very quick and allows the anglers to pull more marlin of single bait balls rather than motor away fighting a fish for a photo like we do. Its good in some ways as the fish barley realises its been hooked and the skipper who's caught the most per day has the biggest penis☺️.

If I was a paying customer, I think I would at least like a look of the fish up close rather than a quick look at one jumping some distance from the boat. Its much the same on mako comps where some boats can capture 20 sharks in a day on light line class. 

5 hours ago, Josh said:

Absolutely insane results

amazing pics.

10’marlin a day 20

mako a day …

im booking a ticket ..! I’m already in Thailand now how much further 😄

re: the leadering ect.

personally yes I would want that photo for the efforts gone in it’s nice to look back at these memories.

I have noticed this in marlin vids seems to be a quick release (which to me actually looked like a hook pull)

then away and understandably as their so so hectic boat side if that wasn’t classed as a catch many wouldn’t be ‘caught’..

iv done the same On a tuna think I put it on here couple seasons back 

got the lip hook in then slipped back out ect . And even tho I clearly completed the fight . I felt a little robbed of the photo ha.

saying that with multiple marlin in a day 

i think I’d be happy to catch one get aload of great shots for each anglers first one of the day

then pull the hook on the rest to keep the boat rotating with fish all day.

also… straightening the hooks ??

Without a photo, according to JonC, it didn't happen. He must not fish anymore!!!!!!