Reel loading

19 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Even tension will only be applied over length of knot IF ALL THE WRAPS are applied with equal tension. The PR bobbin makes a better job of the tension than could ever be applied by hand.

As a time served transmission and cable balancing engineer, there is a formula for length of pull sleeve ( Chinese finger) given cable dia, and pull tonnage. This would be equally applicable to line dia vs BS.

I struggle with the bobbin when it comes to going back across the first load of twists. It never seems to want to travel back the way I swear at it to. Is my tension too tight?

17 hours ago, JDP said:

I see to many fg's pull apart on decent fish over here from experienced anglers who think they have perfected them. 

As you will recall, those solent salmon and 3 bearded rockling dont half go some... stands to reason that the bench mark for any international tackle test, takes place in the mighty Solent. 😁 

An FG tied properly won't give up before other weak points in the line..  👍

6 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I struggle with the bobbin when it comes to going back across the first load of twists. It never seems to want to travel back the way I swear at it to. Is my tension too tight?

No, not too tight, there is a knack to finger placement which sends the bobbin in the opposite direction.

1 hour ago, Hoop said:

As you will recall, those solent salmon and 3 bearded rockling dont half go some... stands to reason that the bench mark for any international tackle test, takes place in the mighty Solent. 😁 

An FG tied properly won't give up before other weak points in the line..  👍

Your point about 3 beardeds does stand up. The main issue for me with other nots is the size and the fig not greatly reduces that. Most of us fish over gunned anyway so the chances of a fish smashing us up as opposed to getting snapped are generally low. 

50 minutes ago, JonC said:

Your point about 3 beardeds does stand up. The main issue for me with other nots is the size and the fig not greatly reduces that. Most of us fish over gunned anyway so the chances of a fish smashing us up as opposed to getting snapped are generally low. 

Here, here Jon. I think for the most part size etc is relative to lines used. Decent lines tend to knot better, give higher resistance to abrasion at lower diameters. 

Not a million miles away from the topic, I've heard recently of a theory regarding braided lines vibrating in tide and in turn spooking nearby feeding fish? 🤔 Some beach folk turning their backs to braid and fixed spools, going back to multis and mono.. wondered what the average boaty thought on this? 

3 minutes ago, Hoop said:

Here, here Jon. I think for the most part size etc is relative to lines used. Decent lines tend to knot better, give higher resistance to abrasion at lower diameters. 

Not a million miles away from the topic, I've heard recently of a theory regarding braided lines vibrating in tide and in turn spooking nearby feeding fish? 🤔 Some beach folk turning their backs to braid and fixed spools, going back to multis and mono.. wondered what the average boaty thought on this? 

Not heard that one but it could be a thing. But I’m not average so my thoughts aren’t applicable 

7 minutes ago, Hoop said:

That's a new one on me. We've always been told that braid cuts through the tide better as it's thinner. Surely fatter mono would catch more tide and vibrate more I would have thought, but who knows. Either way, I've now got another excuse to add to my armoury for the next time I blank 😉

8 minutes ago, JonC said:

Not heard that one but it could be a thing. But I’m not average so my thoughts aren’t applicable 

Average!? Never.. Jon = boaty Jedi!

4 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

That's a new one on me. We've always been told that braid cuts through the tide better as it's thinner. Surely fatter mono would catch more tide and vibrate more I would have thought, but who knows. Either way, I've now got another excuse to add to my armoury for the next time I blank 😉

Losing your touch old chap? Historically saved by a dog or three... 

3 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

I dont really do drawing's, but I will tske a still off a vid to demonstrate wot I mean.

What moosic will you put in the background? I’m thinking a bit of gangster rap? 

39 minutes ago, Hoop said:

I will never go back to mono, purely because of the stretch ( even co polymer is 12% ish). Bite detection and lure control is just so much better and easier with almost zero stretch braid.

5 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Look at the vid below from about 3:30 onwards, at 3:36 the guy uses a tad of tension to the tip of the bobbin with the index finger to ensure the bobbin reverses direction, which is exactly how I do it. Generally, I use my right hand for that to happen.

A PR bobbin knot can be tied in less than 2 minutes on the boat, how long does it take to tie a FG knot on a rocking boat ?

50 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

A PR bobbin knot can be tied in less than 2 minutes on the boat, how long does it take to tie a FG knot on a rocking boat ?

Honestly, about a minute. Have done it on a rocking boat and in the dark on the shore. All without a bobbin too.

12 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Honestly, about a minute. Have done it on a rocking boat and in the dark on the shore. All without a bobbin too.

Your minute is probably closer to 5 ! .......... to get 25 wraps will be at least 25 - 30 seconds

I always said I could tie a bobbin knot in 30 secs, but timed it was 2 mins.

I always said a Yucatan knot was quick, but timed it was a little over a minute.

Anyway, it matters little, the whole point is that we tie the knot that suits us best and a knot that each of us have confidence in.

2 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Your minute is probably closer to 5 ! .......... to get 25 wraps will be at least 25 - 30 seconds

I always said I could tie a bobbin knot in 30 secs, but timed it was 2 mins.

I always said a Yucatan knot was quick, but timed it was a little over a minute.

Anyway, it matters little, the whole point is that we tie the knot that suits us best and a knot that each of us have confidence in.

Don't get me wrong I find it a ballache having to tie an FG, but it's the least fiddly of the wrapper knots out there. The actual tying is doable in 1-2 mins easy, but it's the cutting back the frayed braid to good and getting another length of leader ready that sucks the time (and effort) up.

9 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Don't get me wrong I find it a ballache having to tie an FG, but it's the least fiddly of the wrapper knots out there. The actual tying is doable in 1-2 mins easy, but it's the cutting back the frayed braid to good and getting another length of leader ready that sucks the time (and effort) up.

So 1 min becomes 1-2 mins. Reality is probably 10!