Bank holiday weekend

Josh

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

@Josh what curry did you have?

plain Nann? Really ??

This was was Lamb ghost … it was insanely good . Punjabi restaurant rather than Bangladeshi

ha I think that one came with another dish . I had a garlic one don’t worry haha

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Well done @Josh, you really do put the effort in. I'm rubbish without sleep, so good on you for going the distance, literally and figuratively!

Nice pollack too 👍

Won’t be able to keep this up forever … mrs is pregnant now too…. Got to pack everything into the next 9months right

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

I didn’t actually know what bird it was to be fair more of an assumption @GPSguru😊

got some more shots hereB83B2AFD-BFA0-4235-891A-F7867C597E66.jpeg.6b47a981fd97d13b88d53fca81311801.jpeg

901F46C2-26FF-4F63-BEF1-B32F933FE7EB.jpeg.200f7b8b68afa26187aff7263ba6f62b.jpeg

6582CEB5-1693-4DB2-8692-B7717C62230E.jpeg.b83126e1995641ac9ad919ade7892792.jpeg

137FCC5F-DB5A-4C53-81CF-1FE545C2DB00.jpeg.8b791a7d0c5b0b288d1fd252bf339811.jpeg

Could be a Bewick's Wren. Native of the US, and a long way from home if so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bewick's_wren

1 minute ago, GPSguru said:

It is definitely not a sparrow, so I am gonna stick with a finch of some kind.

Fair choice 

i look forward to this time of year it’s usually right around 24th April ish the swallows come dashing on the pond in the garden … I believe journeyed all the way from africa

39 minutes ago, Josh said:

Fair choice 

i look forward to this time of year it’s usually right around 24th April ish the swallows come dashing on the pond in the garden … I believe journeyed all the way from africa

Yes, @Andy135almost got it, it definitely is the common Wren that we get in the UK. I knew I had seen it, but just could not remember what it was. It is the thin beak that gives it away. We get them nesting in the garden. That one must have been coming back from its migration.

Here you go

IMG_2135.jpeg.a93eb23ff6fd84b490f85c2bc75e1cf9.jpeg

Cracking pollack 🙂 beats west wales ones for sure 🤣

A mate had an 18lber out of Plymouth on the weekend.

As for the sharks, at least you were in the right place and hopefully hook up soon 🙂 

24 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Cracking pollack 🙂 beats west wales ones for sure 🤣

A mate had an 18lber out of Plymouth on the weekend.

As for the sharks, at least you were in the right place and hopefully hook up soon 🙂 

Excellent 18 That’s a proper proper one that !
the reefs aren’t what they used to be and i imagine people would say the same about wrecks. 
see alot of nets round the reefs in spawning season I know everyone’s got to make a living but that logic just doesn’t add up there’s got to be a better way. Trouble is it’s a if I don’t take them someone else will scenario.

19lb was my best as a young boy I’ll dig the photo 

Not sure I’ll go north again this season now with life commitments but a blue session won’t be that far ahead 

6 minutes ago, Josh said:

*Back in the day of disposable cameras E02C52A8-FC81-4417-9B86-F2E0AF2553FF.thumb.jpeg.39d2f5d9ccb3cce2ca486edb61aa1a98.jpeg

That is a very good fish Josh, these days you really have to work hard to get fish above 15lb, but there are still some stonkers out there.

I remember the days when we used to get almost as many Coalies off the wrecks as we did Pollock, and some of the Coalies were getting on for 20lb.

My best Pollock stands at 24lb, which I caught 55 years ago, on a very famous conger charter out of Brixham.

2 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

That is a very good fish Josh, these days you really have to work hard to get fish above 15lb, but there are still some stonkers out there.

I remember the days when we used to get almost as many Coalies off the wrecks as we did Pollock, and some of the Coalies were getting on for 20lb.

My best Pollock stands at 24lb, which I caught 55 years ago, on a very famous conger charter out of Brixham.

That’s awesome ! Incredible fish 24lb

and a Coaly I’ve never caught one would love one . Fight even harder ??

yeah maybe some huge pollack lurking in the hurds 

7 minutes ago, Dicky said:

Great effort Josh. I have 5 days in September booked again at Fowey but doubt i will manage to get down there before that.

Nice ! and thanks 
Probably see you out on the water mate 

Edited by Josh

32 minutes ago, Josh said:

Coaly I’ve never caught one would love one . Fight even harder ??

Yes, most definitely. You tend to get them above the Pollock in mid water, and they go straight down when hooked, no stopping. Also, they fight all the way to the boat.

Another interesting point is that unlike Pollock, Coalfish don't suffer from 'barotrauma', meaning their swim bladder does not blow up.

After over 30 years of not seeing any, we are catching a few small Coalfish (5lb ish) on the wrecks now, but they are not in any great numbers.

2 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Yes, @Andy135almost got it, it definitely is the common Wren that we get in the UK. I knew I had seen it, but just could not remember what it was. It is the thin beak that gives it away. We get them nesting in the garden. That one must have been coming back from its migration.

Here you go

IMG_2135.jpeg.a93eb23ff6fd84b490f85c2bc75e1cf9.jpeg

Don't reckon it's a common/Eurasian wren as they have more mottled wings. See the wings in the pic below, not seen in Josh's photos.

X9U3IM8.jpg

9 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Don't reckon it's a common/Eurasian wren as they have more mottled wings. See the wings in the pic below, not seen in Josh's photos.

X9U3IM8.jpg

The beak tells us it is definitely a Wren of some sort.

The other possibility was a juvenile Thrush, but they are also very mottled, and we have loads of them in the garden at the moment.

7 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Yes, most definitely. You tend to get them above the Pollock in mid water, and they go straight down when hooked, no stopping. Also, they fight all the way to the boat.

Another interesting point is that unlike Pollock, Coalfish don't suffer from 'barotrauma', meaning their swim bladder does not blow up.

After over 30 years of not seeing any, we are catching a few small Coalfish (5lb ish) on the wrecks now, but they are not in any great numbers.

Good to hear yea I have seen reports of more coal fish great for the furture