Advice

17 minutes ago, JonC said:

How long does it take to run out to the buxey? There is a speed limit along the Burnham stretch I believe? 

Essex marina is no wash so I stay right out in the middle and burnham is a strict 8 knot but there are no floating moorings there now so I ignore it, I have been pulled by CHA there though for speeding🤣🤣

3 minutes ago, KennyPowers said:

Essex marina is no wash so I stay right out in the middle and burnham is a strict 8 knot but there are no floating moorings there now so I ignore it, I have been pulled by CHA there though for speeding🤣🤣

That’s the good thing about the  Blackwater, other than the 8 knots 200 yards from shore rule it’s pretty much a free for all, out of the creek and top gear flat out. 

Depends on how you drive the boat and how much weight you have on it but expect .75 litres per mile or better at a cruise of 20kts or there about (correctly propped of course).

They do go better with a 75/80hp on them though although 60hp will be ok, it"s just revving higher and working harder than an 80 so will use a little more fuel when pushed.

6 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

I can go see it for you if you want, before you travel. Just incase it’s a dog made to look good! It’s only 5 mins from my door. 

That would be awesome mate, you clearly know more about boats than me anyway and it’s great to have an additional opinion, Mark does sound a nice guy (don’t all salesmen) says the engine gets tested and serviced at LM marine I think he said🍻

6 hours ago, headlight said:

Depends on how you drive the boat and how much weight you have on it but expect .75 litres per mile or better at a cruise of 20kts or there about (correctly propped of course).

They do go better with a 75/80hp on them though although 60hp will be ok, it"s just revving higher and working harder than an 80 so will use a little more fuel when pushed.

Sounds a lot better already, I like the open cuddy it will encourage me not to bank shit in the cabin, there actually is also far less weight, I was told there shouldn’t be the need for the secondary this time but I’m not so sure, apparently four stroke is far more reliable?

3 hours ago, KennyPowers said:

That would be awesome mate, you clearly know more about boats than me anyway and it’s great to have an additional opinion, Mark does sound a nice guy (don’t all salesmen) says the engine gets tested and serviced at LM marine I think he said🍻

Ok I will endeavour to pop in there Friday afternoon. Lee Marlo (LM marine) used to service my outboards and does now service @Andy135’s engine. Lee’s a good engineer. 

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Ok I will endeavour to pop in there Friday afternoon. Lee Marlo (LM marine) used to service my outboards and does now service @Andy135’s engine. Lee’s a good engineer. 

Is he the guy that nailed your transducer on upside down? 

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Well it all sounds real good so far, what’s your opinion on carrying a secondary when you have a reliable 4 stroke main? I know the what the obvious choice would be but do I want or need the addition weight hanging on the transom? 

3 minutes ago, KennyPowers said:

Well it all sounds real good so far, what’s your opinion on carrying a secondary when you have a reliable 4 stroke main? I know the what the obvious choice would be but do I want or need the addition weight hanging on the transom? 

I suppose it depends on how far from any help you will be and how food your comms will be should anything go wrong. I don’t think an additional 25-30kg for an auxiliary would make that much difference. 

39 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I suppose it depends on how far from any help you will be and how food your comms will be should anything go wrong. I don’t think an additional 25-30kg for an auxiliary would make that much difference. 

There’s not a lot of back up in our area, no sea start or anything. My marina doesn’t have a boat to recover people or anything so you are on your own in reality.

6 minutes ago, JonC said:

There’s not a lot of back up in our area, no sea start or anything. My marina doesn’t have a boat to recover people or anything so you are on your own in reality.

Then I’d say a decent aux is a good idea. What do you have ?

57 minutes ago, KennyPowers said:

I don't have an aux on either of my boats, and so far (touch wood!) I've not needed one either.

5 hours ago, KennyPowers said:

Another vote for Lee Marlow (LM Marine Services). Knows his stuff and is a nice bloke to deal with.

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Then I’d say a decent aux is a good idea. What do you have ?

I bought a 6hp tohatsu sail pro. It’s a high thrust prop designed to be used as an aux as opposed to running about on a tender. I’ve never used it in anger, it lives on its side in the storage compartment on the boat. 

Edit- 

the sail pro also has a 5 amp output so if things did get bad you could still power your electrics.