Advice

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah going really well, My engineer has stripped the power head off the outboard because it wasn’t pumping water, now he can’t get a gasket kit for it, he sourced one at Cambridge Outboards and now the whole place has shut down because of covid🤣🤣🤣 any ooo new boat feeling I should have has gone lol, literal worst purchasing experience of my life, not to throw shade on Just Boats they did offer my money back but that don’t really help TBH.

On 12/11/2020 at 10:22 PM, JDP said:

We have to carry a epirb if more than 2nm offshore, a plb is optional but these aren't considered a marine item and more for land use. I have both as well as a Garmin inreach so I can use two way communication anywhere outside on the plannet.

We have the option to log on by radio with marine rescue telling them how many onboard, destination and return but I find this can be a pain if you change location regularly. The marine rescue app is much better, you simply log on by using the selections in the app and the rescue centres can then track your phone on their large navigation base computers, this way will often more than double your vhf range.

please tell me more

53 minutes ago, KennyPowers said:

Yeah going really well, My engineer has stripped the power head off the outboard because it wasn’t pumping water, now he can’t get a gasket kit for it, he sourced one at Cambridge Outboards and now the whole place has shut down because of covid🤣🤣🤣 any ooo new boat feeling I should have has gone lol, literal worst purchasing experience of my life, not to throw shade on Just Boats they did offer my money back but that don’t really help TBH.

That’s a proper pisser. Sorry to hear your having such troubles. I take it a sea trial wasn’t done then? 
At least it’s happened at a time when it’s not great to go boating anyway! 

1 hour ago, KennyPowers said:

What do you mean by shut down? Their website is still up and running and they still have stuff on ebay..... Have you tried ringing them?

2 hours ago, suzook12 said:

What do you mean by shut down? Their website is still up and running and they still have stuff on ebay..... Have you tried ringing them?

The head honcho was or still is in hospital with covid, offices are shut, I managed to get the phone answered by warehouse staff, they couldn’t locate the parts, despite being told the part no’s etc, I’ve given Mark a call at just boats and I think has now located the gaskets but not as a bundle as individuals, I’m quite disappointed in my engineer to ge honest he is a mechanic but clearly shit at sourcing parts etc, hopefully I’ll be in the water early next week although I’ve been saying that since the 1st of December🤣🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

That’s a proper pisser. Sorry to hear your having such troubles. I take it a sea trial wasn’t done then? 
At least it’s happened at a time when it’s not great to go boating anyway! 

It’s pure bad luck and nothing more, hopefully once all sorted I can just go fishing🤣🤣 

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

Sorry to hear that Micky. Jon mentioned that you'd run into some challenges with the engine. Shame that it's had to be stripped - did the engineer find the cause in the end?

I’m not engine savvy but a large piece or pieces of rubber were found in the water ways, in fairness to Just Boats once they heard at what level the engine had been stripped they said to take it to the last point which was removing the power head, I’m not sure what else can be done, new gear oil, thermostat impeller etc, it should be bang on the money when it comes back.

Just now, KennyPowers said:

I’m not engine savvy but a large piece or pieces of rubber were found in the water ways, in fairness to Just Boats once they heard at what level the engine had been stripped they said to take it to the last point which was removing the power head, I’m not sure what else can be done, new gear oil, thermostat impeller etc, it should be bang on the money when it comes back.

Ah, right. So a previous impeller had fragmented and pieces of it had blocked up the waterways. But am I right in remembering that the current impeller was complete and ok? If so, it means that a previous owner has been a bit sneaky and replaced the broken impeller with a new one without flushing or otherwise removing all the broken bits.

1 hour ago, KennyPowers said:

The head honcho was or still is in hospital with covid, offices are shut, I managed to get the phone answered by warehouse staff, they couldn’t locate the parts, despite being told the part no’s etc, I’ve given Mark a call at just boats and I think has now located the gaskets but not as a bundle as individuals, I’m quite disappointed in my engineer to ge honest he is a mechanic but clearly shit at sourcing parts etc, hopefully I’ll be in the water early next week although I’ve been saying that since the 1st of December🤣🤣🤣🤣

That is a shame, have had dealings with Ben in the past and found him very helpful.

4 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Ah, right. So a previous impeller had fragmented and pieces of it had blocked up the waterways. But am I right in remembering that the current impeller was complete and ok? If so, it means that a previous owner has been a bit sneaky and replaced the broken impeller with a new one without flushing or otherwise removing all the broken bits.

Yeah exactly that, impeller was worn but intact, the engine is recorded as doing only 150 hours so I’ve no idea what the servicing history was like, can’t understand why on an engine like that you wouldn’t spend a few hundred quid a year on servicing.