Any information on Rodman or similar?

25 minutes ago, Gordmac said:

Any thoughts on a Rodman 940?

Nice boats. 

Good compromise of fishing and cruiser. Won’t fish many but you’ll do it in comfort! 

6 minutes ago, Gordmac said:

Not that one, I believe it has sold. I am looking at the one RBS marine, the importers, have.

Poor galley but a good compromise between deck space and cabin space I think. Anyone know if the D4 225 engines have any particular issues?

I believe the D4 engine relies heavily on ECU’s. And these are particularly expensive if they go wrong. There are many reported issues with the D4, but tbh I think a lot of engines will have their own issues if not looked after properly. And let’s be honest, not all boaters are as careful with their motors as they should be. Just get a good engineer to check it over for you. If you need the number of a good guy down this way, PM me and I’ll supply you with one! 

D4 good engines. Standard fitment on offshore 25s by breaksea boats. Given that Pete is building most of these for commercial guys I’d say pretty good. 

Obviously, only if maintained.

Not a huge amount of cabin space, but I think you got more berths and an inside heads. I know that many call my boat a ferry but the internal layout is great.

Ive seen a 940 take some heavy seas. I followed one coming back from sharking with a nice bit of swell running and it took it quite well. 

Edited by Odyssey

Thanks.

Being old I spent a lot of my youth fiddling with points, plugs and carbs on cars! Modern electronic stuff needs none of that and is much more efficient. The downside being if something electronic goes wrong it is hard to diagnose and costly to fix. Doesn't happen often, at least with cars. I haven't investigated, can you buy software to interrogate the Volvo stuff like you can with cars? I assume there will be people repairing the electronics?

I may need someone to do a mechanical survey in the deep South sometime, thanks.

What is your boat, Odyssey?

I’m running an Evolution 30. 

https://www.breakseaboats.com/gallery/nggallery/breaksea-boats/lady-jue-evolution-30-swansea When she was first commissioned by previous owner.

As she is now...

You can’t really see the fridge and TV which are currently opposite the table.

TV will move into the V berth at some point, when I’m allowed back down there.

ECU on an engine is better as you can plug in your laptop and get a readout of trouble code etc. It’s rare for an ECU to go.... injectors and turbos more likely due to diesel bug/incorrect servicing etc.

5 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

The recieved wisdom seems to be that outdrives are indeed high maintenance, and that owners skimp on maintenance at their peril.

I’ve read the same, great when they are working but high maintenance to keep up to speed. 6 hours to change a washer or something along those lines I think. 

2 hours ago, Gordmac said:

Nice looking boat, thanks.

Not sure I could afford to look after two outdrives and engines though! Maybe not typical but friends Botnia on twins has been quite high maintenance so far.

What engines are in her?

Outdrives are long gone. They were Yamaha outdrives. Known to be an issue. Mercruiser or Volvo and you’re onto a winner.

Im currently running twin Yamaha 300hp outboards on the back.

Legs have a bad reputation but I would be happy to have one (or two) as long as I knew they are serviced. 

If you leave an outboard gear box too long you’ll soon get issues. Same with a leg 

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, Gordmac said:

Budget around £60k. As I have some capital but a low income, running the boat comes from capital so for something cheaper to run I can spend more and vice versa.

And are you open to different styles or is the rodman style the preference? 
And are you prepared to travel? If so how far? 
Obviously UK only limits your choice. 

800 litre fuel tanks, so got good range. Great for entertaining, just small enough for single handed use and good for fishing too. 

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2003/starfisher-32-3539679/

https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/starfisher-840-for-sale/610934

https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/aquastar-pacesetter-27-for-sale/647533

Now this is a lot of boat for not a lot of money. Well within budget and bullet proof engines on shafts. 

https://www.rightboat.com/gb/boats-for-sale/bimax/genesi-930/rb180595

Thanks for that.

My preferred style would be Botnia Targa/Nordstar but rare and well over budget. Rodman seemed a reasonable option with walkaround decks and twin shafts about the same maintenance costs as single outdrive. They seem well thought of and decent quality.

I will have to travel far, not much here and a South Coast round trip would be over 1000 mile. Problem is of course higher travel and delivery costs mean less to spend on a boat!

The one in Spain would be near enough £80k with vat added. Starfisher 840 looks good although maybe a bit underpowered? Tiny cockpit in the Aquastar is not for me, been there before. Bimax looks like an open boat, not for me.

Thanks for finding those. I suspect we won't be able to travel for quite a while yet so looking at anything is impossible!

32 minutes ago, Gordmac said:

Thanks for that.

My preferred style would be Botnia Targa/Nordstar but rare and well over budget. Rodman seemed a reasonable option with walkaround decks and twin shafts about the same maintenance costs as single outdrive. They seem well thought of and decent quality.

I will have to travel far, not much here and a South Coast round trip would be over 1000 mile. Problem is of course higher travel and delivery costs mean less to spend on a boat!

The one in Spain would be near enough £80k with vat added. Starfisher 840 looks good although maybe a bit underpowered? Tiny cockpit in the Aquastar is not for me, been there before. Bimax looks like an open boat, not for me.

Thanks for finding those. I suspect we won't be able to travel for quite a while yet so looking at anything is impossible!

Ok that’s fine, the reason I showed those was just to get an idea. What your preferred style is and maybe show something you’ve not come across or thought about. Botnia tar gas can be had at your budget or around it but you’ll be looking at much older boats. What age is too old for you? 

As an example...

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1990/targa-25-2997043/

@Andy135 has experience of purchasing from the channel isles if you need questions answered.