Low engine hours

Just now, JonC said:

That’s because you don’t wear your pants on the outside! 

You’re dragging this further and further of topic ( Sorry JonD)

The rescue boat had to have one helm and one crew to operate. 

18 hours ago, JonC said:

It is amazing to see how many of the older sailing members don’t attach the kill cord when at the helm. 

Anybody that does not wear a kill cord on an open boat is just asking for the day of judgement !

I always wear the kill cord and often it is 2 connected together as it gives me a bit of leeway to move around the boat and still stay connected. Also, it provides a spare in case one breaks (Merc cords have a habit of breaking the ring) ............... I don't wear it on the leg .......... I clip it to my LJ  recovery loop............

4 hours ago, GPSguru said:

often it is 2 connected together as it gives me a bit of leeway to move around the boat

Thanks for that statement Ian. Jon was so self involved that he thought I was having a pop at him. When I asked a serious question. I would think it’s always needed to move around the boat. Especially if you have to pull in a MOB. 

15 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Thanks for that statement Ian. Jon was so self involved that he thought I was having a pop at him. When I asked a serious question. I would think it’s always needed to move around the boat. Especially if you have to pull in a MOB. 

Are you actually promoting going against RYA guidelines? 
Gps is an experienced  operator of boats, others reading may not be. 

12 minutes ago, JonC said:

I’m not going against anything. I’m just backing up the fact that I asked a serious question. Like I said I don’t drive a rescue boat. So how am I supposed to know the guidelines?

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

I’m not going against anything. I’m just backing up the fact that I asked a serious question. Like I said I don’t drive a rescue boat. So how am I supposed to know the guidelines?

It’s not rescue boat specific, it’s a universal guideline. 
GPS’ suggestion of clipping to a suitable securing point such as a lifting ring is a good idea, I guess the RYA say to attach around the leg is to avoid confusion over what is a suitable securing point, zips , belt loops, nose rings etc 

I will sometimes put the kill switch leash around my leg, they get in the way to much when put around your wrist. I have seen cases here where people have put the leash around their wrist and accidentally disconnected it while crossing the bar, which has then ended by the boat getting caught out by the waves, ending in fatalities. 

2 hours ago, JDP said:

I will sometimes put the kill switch leash around my leg, they get in the way to much when put around your wrist. I have seen cases here where people have put the leash around their wrist and accidentally disconnected it while crossing the bar, which has then ended by the boat getting caught out by the waves, ending in fatalities. 

When I asked Fisty he suggested this

C3E57E32-FB0D-4A50-B41B-F953272F49A3.png

5 hours ago, JonC said:

The RYA guidelines are exactly what is on the tin ........ Guidelines .............not mandatory, not a COP, just guidelines............

The bottom line is, and I say this to all open boat users.............

1. Wear a Kill cord ........ it will save your life and the lives of others

2. Make sure the kill cord is in good order, and the kill switch is tested at each annual service.

3. Make sure it is SECURELY fixed to the wearer, and the wearer will always be the helm

4. Make sure that it cannot get tangled and interfere with the safe operation of the boat

A rescue / safety boat helm should never fail to wear a kill cord ............ and you have met that criteria 👍

These guys had the safety line attached but even in these relatively calm conditions for our bar, when the boat got caught by a wave they accidentally pulled the release and after trying to start the engine with it disconnected ended up flooding the motor. This has happened numerous times with people accidentally disconnecting in this situation, hence why it placed around my leg is far better. By the way these were inexperienced boaters at crossing bars, which is obvious from the video.

Edited by JDP

2 hours ago, JonC said:

Can’t you just get someone to build you a nice marina? 

There is a marina but the river and lake are tidal and the east coast is exposed to swell almost all year round, hence why some parts of Oz are so well known for surf. We have a swell prediction for around 8m over the weekend for some parts of the coast, we can get large swell without any wind, unlike when I lived on the IOW where most of our rough sea conditions were due mostly to wind waves. Bar crossings here and New Zealand have a reputation of being quite dangerous. You can sometimes be far offshore experiencing beautiful conditions only to find the bar playing up when you return, which isn't fun after dark!!!

This is why fast deep V hulls are so common, they help soften the ride and give you the speed to outrun bad weather or dash between waves when needed. Staying with a wave coming back in could mean running over 24 knots just to stay with it but you need a lot more than 24kts up your sleeve. I do enjoy coming in through it when its bad but heading out takes very careful timing and often holding the boat in reverse against a run out tide and big waves for quite some time.