Sharking and SPJ success!

Andy135

Sadly the weather window was shorter than planned…. It flattened off at lunchtime but it was bit of a washing machine when we first headed out. 

Fair dos they soldiered on and had some good sport 🙂 Final count was: Scad, dogs, poor cod, pout, coalfish, pollack and wrasse. So not too shabby given the circumstances and time of year. I managed to enjoy a lovely bit of pollack for tea last night and lot more in the freezer 🙂 

Was great to have the guys out, sadly not quite what we had planned but maybe next time can find something with big teeth for the guys 😁

2024 diary is open….. 

Edited by Odyssey

3 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Any particular colour doing better than others on the jigs ?

Silver dreams used to work very well, also black feathers

No one colour that outperformed the others, they were hitting them all. What I did notice however was that I was able to fish for longer on each drop if I used a slimmer, teardrop shaped jig. The flat, butterfly style jigs would catch the tide and head off past the stern more quickly, so I got less fishing time per drop with those ones. Also harder to feel the bottom with them.

What was noticeable was that jigs out fished “normal” feathers by a wide margin….

Its certainly got me thinking about SPJ and running dedicated SPJ trips next year….

Edited by Odyssey

19 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

What was noticeable was that jigs out fished “normal” feathers by a wide margin….

Ots certainly gif be thinking about SPJ a d running dedicated SPJ trips next year….

Let me know. I've been thinking about a repeat session on jigs, and I'll bring my coolbox next time!

6 hours ago, Josh said:

Be some nice fillets there @Andy135

well done

shame about not getting offshore but salvaged a decent session…

poxy-weather 🙄

@Josh the weather has put the kibosh on several planned big trips this year... strange one, it was reliably unreliable 😖

13 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Let me know. I've been thinking about a repeat session on jigs, and I'll bring my coolbox next time!

I’ve already started looking a new rod and reel 🤣🤣🤣🤣 but there maybe a promo trip in May…. Experienced jiggers welcome to come and get some fish for the camera 

Edited by Odyssey

36 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I’ve already started looking a new rod and reel 🤣🤣🤣🤣 but there maybe a promo trip in May…. Experienced jiggers welcome to come and get some fish for the camera 

Talk to Terry, but I would suggest a Temple Reef rod and a Maxel Rage reel. Both of mine have been faultless.

My Hearty Rise rods are a tad too beefy for general SPJ, but fine for the larger pollock on the deeper wrecks (250 ft and more).

3 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Talk to Terry, but I would suggest a Temple Reef rod and a Maxel Rage reel. Both of mine have been faultless.

My Hearty Rise rods are a tad too beefy for general SPJ, but fine for the larger pollock on the deeper wrecks (250 ft and more).

I’ll have a look but I suspect it’ll break my budget…. I’m a poor skipper who has endless trips blown off due to weather…. 😞 

2 hours ago, Odyssey said:

I’ll have a look but I suspect it’ll break my budget…. I’m a poor skipper who has endless trips blown off due to weather…. 😞 

As you saw with Leo's fish, you can quite easily start off with a spinning rod and a slow jig. It's easier to work the jig with a dedicated jigging rod, but perfectly possible to catch good fish using a slow jig without the full rod & reel set up.

21 minutes ago, thejollysinker said:

Those boys look happy 😊 made the most of it and a successful day out. Nice report, shame no dogs for you though 🤪🙂

Yeah, I was miffed I didn't catch one. Maybe I should sell my SPJ gear if I can't catch doggies on jigs...

7 hours ago, Odyssey said:

How many can you take and what cost Luke, we're looking for a few trips down your way next year