Bolt rig

13 minutes ago, JonC said:

Basically a lead that’s rigged with little or no movement on the line as opposed to sliding. Popular for carp, the fish hooks Itself then bolts. 

So a fixed leger, rather than a running leger?

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

So a fixed leger, rather than a running leger?

Bit more to it than that, but yeah, with very short hook lengths........ Not sure there is much use for a true bolt rig in sea fishing. I know a few anglers use what the carp boys call a helicopter rig

2 hours ago, JonC said:

I think a three way swivel would work well with a breakout lead, using the trip to spot the bites, but I use fixed Geminis for most fishing and it would be hard  for a fish to break them out.

Surely thats just a paternoster? The idea of a bolt rig, is the fish pricks its mouth on the bare hook, which makes the carp bolt and the fixed lead sets the hook. The important part is the bare hook with hair rigged bait etc. Bare in mind this is designed for use in lakes, hence the short hooklength. Where you have tide holding the bait down and a baited hook, it really is just a paternoster, and as you know, the bite is hopefully a dropback as the lead is dislodged.... (uptide).

6 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Surely thats just a paternoster? The idea of a bolt rig, is the fish pricks its mouth on the bare hook, which makes the carp bolt and the fixed lead sets the hook. The important part is the bare hook with hair rigged bait etc. Bare in mind this is designed for use in lakes, hence the short hooklength. Where you have tide holding the bait down and a baited hook, it really is just a paternoster, and as you know, the bite is hopefully a dropback as the lead is dislodged.... (uptide).

So what’s the advantage of a bolt rig in sea fishing?

7 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

So what’s the advantage of a bolt rig in sea fishing?

I dont see one and I  don't know anyone that uses a true bolt rig. But hey, for all we know it could be killer........ Do I have the patience for tying hair rigs and trying to use fish baits on the hair, no.... But short or any other length paternoster on a grip lead? Yup, every time.

In fact, I only use a running leger on downtide, with the exception of a pulley rig....

Edited by suzook12

On my Uptider I tend to use a running leger.  I have it set up on a tube boom that only allows maybe 9-10 inches of run before it butts up against another swivel and then sets the hook.

I use a similar rig when I leger for Mullet and it works really well,  very short hook length on a running leger with a stop maybe an inch or two above the hook link swivel. Allows the fish to pick up the bait and move off with little resistance but very quickly sets the hook.

Saintly Fish, have you tried pop ups on your Bream rigs?

5 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

No Scott I have not. Normally when I catch bream they are on the lowest hook. The upper two seem pretty redundant. What’s the advantage pop ups on a bream rig? 
I do use them occasionally on a flounder rig from the shore, it slows the crabs down a bit. 

44 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

I dont see one and I  don't know anyone that uses a true bolt rig. But hey, for all we know it could be killer........ Do I have the patience for tying hair rigs and trying to use fish baits on the hair, no.... But short or any other length paternoster on a grip lead? Yup, every time.

In fact, I only use a running leger on downtide, with the exception of a pulley rig....

You probably remember in the 80s when hair rigs became popular, I think it was big carp anglers like Chris Yates? I understood the hair rig was to count the carps sensitive feeding, their barbels feeling the line etc. Sea fish are far more hit and hope so I don’t think there would be any merit to hair rigging a bait at sea.

16 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

On my Uptider I tend to use a running leger.  I have it set up on a tube boom that only allows maybe 9-10 inches of run before it butts up against another swivel and then sets the hook.

I use a similar rig when I leger for Mullet and it works really well,  very short hook length on a running leger with a stop maybe an inch or two above the hook link swivel. Allows the fish to pick up the bait and move off with little resistance but very quickly sets the hook.

I sometimes use about 6” of 60lb line between two swivels for my lead runner but more ofter just have a swivel on the main as a lead runner. 

The pop ups give your bait a more neutral buoyancy if set up right.  I ran a side by side test of two identical rigs on the Bream one with yellow pop ups and one without.   The pop up rig out-fished the other rig by a considerable margin.  Usually set with 1 or 2 yellow (Seems to be the colour for Bream) pop up beads just above the hook.

I have been using them on all my scratching rigs and you'd be surprised what you catch on them.  I took my niece out for the Bream early this year set her up on a pop up rig, she caught a small Tope, a fair few Smoothound amongst the Bream again I was fishing a non popped rig for a test and she out-fished me massively.

You'd also be surprised by the amount of Ray's I have had on it.

1 minute ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

The pop ups give your bait a more neutral buoyancy if set up right.  I ran a side by side test of two identical rigs on the Bream one with yellow pop ups and one without.   The pop up rig out-fished the other rig by a considerable margin.  Usually set with 1 or 2 yellow (Seems to be the colour for Bream) pop up beads just above the hook.

I have been using them on all my scratching rigs and you'd be surprised what you catch on them.  I took my niece out for the Bream early this year set her up on a pop up rig, she caught a small Tope, a fair few Smoothound amongst the Bream again I was fishing a non popped rig for a test and she out-fished me massively.

You'd also be surprised by the amount of Ray's I have had on it.

Well that’s certainly worth a try. Doubt @Andy135 will bother, he catches enough dogs without extra help. 

4 minutes ago, JonC said:

I’ve never tried pop ups, always been obsessed with pinning it hard on the bottom. Maybe I’ll try different tactics. 

I read about it for the Bream somewhere that I cant remember so I tried it,  the piece specifically mentioned yellow pops ups and when I went into Rover in Fareham to stock up on them Mark who used to work in there said "Making Bream rigs are we?"  so I thought there must be something in it.

Give them ago you maybe pleasantly suprised

2 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

I read about it for the Bream somewhere that I cant remember so I tried it,  the piece specifically mentioned yellow pops ups and when I went into Rover in Fareham to stock up on them Mark who used to work in there said "Making Bream rigs are we?"  so I thought there must be something in it.

Give them ago you maybe pleasantly suprised

What size in mm do you use?