Hello Chaps

Ivan Tuna

Just joined the Forum - looking forward to learning from you guys and sharing what I know. Haven’t owned a boat for a while but COVID Lockdown made me take the plunge. Boats in Lymington and I live in Oxfordshire. I’m a lure fisherman at heart but have done my share of bait fishing over the years.

We used to pick up charter clients from Lymington years ago. The shingle banks were always an area I avoided to a point back then but with better charts and the ability to build your own charts I would love to map that area in order to work lures chassing bass there now. 

Most modern gps units allow you to make your own charts, which would be handy for that area given how the shingle banks move. Sidescan and forward scan is also handy in such situations, very few boats ventured that area years ago but those who did normally did well. 

What size boat do you have and is it powered by inboard or outboard. Outboards are handy in those sorts of areas as you can simply trim up and hop onto banks at low tide to flick lures quietly without the boat running. It also looks incredibly interesting on the charts as you head west along the drop offs in that area. 

On 12/13/2020 at 8:17 PM, Ivan Tuna said:

Just joined the Forum - looking forward to learning from you guys and sharing what I know. Haven’t owned a boat for a while but COVID Lockdown made me take the plunge. Boats in Lymington and I live in Oxfordshire. I’m a lure fisherman at heart but have done my share of bait fishing over the years.

Out of curiosity, what was it about lockdown that made you buy a boat?

6 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Out of curiosity, what was it about lockdown that made you buy a boat?

Boat sales went through the roof back in summer, jet skis etc even paddle boards were in demand. I live in a boaty village it was hectic here. 

Couple of things really - I normally spend weeks abroad chasing Tuna and GTs, you need to get super fit to do that justice, struggle to fit the fitness in. Shore fishing in the U.K. sucks. Sitting around in the garden, working from home all that COVID stuff got me thinking about what’s important, don’t want to regret not doing something.

6 hours ago, Ivan Tuna said:

COVID stuff got me thinking about what’s important

I think there were a lot of people in lockdown one that did a fair bit of reflection on life. You made a terrible decision.

Sorry that was meant to be you made a great decision. 🤣