Talk to me about anchors, chain and ropes

We are slowly getting out boat ready for sea and have had a look at the anchor it came with. Its a smallish grappling type anchor with about 5m of chain and then blue poly prop rope. I didn't measure the rope but its not very long so I think we should get some new rope. Been looking into what is recommended and they all say "depends on the depth you'll be anchoring in"

Problem is I have no idea. 

the boat is a 17ft wilson flyer look-a-like and we will be launching around the south coast, Chichester/Poole/Hayling Island sort of area. As new to boat fishing and boating in general we won't be going too far out, our insurance only covers us to 12 miles but I think it will be a while before we go much more than 5 miles or so. Any ideas on the sort of depths around there? Any recommendations for rope? Is 5m enough chain, seems very short to me?

thanks 

4 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

We are slowly getting out boat ready for sea and have had a look at the anchor it came with. Its a smallish grappling type anchor with about 5m of chain and then blue poly prop rope. I didn't measure the rope but its not very long so I think we should get some new rope. Been looking into what is recommended and they all say "depends on the depth you'll be anchoring in"

Problem is I have no idea. 

the boat is a 17ft wilson flyer look-a-like and we will be launching around the south coast, Chichester/Poole/Hayling Island sort of area. As new to boat fishing and boating in general we won't be going too far out, our insurance only covers us to 12 miles but I think it will be a while before we go much more than 5 miles or so. Any ideas on the sort of depths around there? Any recommendations for rope? Is 5m enough chain, seems very short to me?

thanks 

You will want atleast 3-4 times the depth you’ll fish in for rope and double the length of your boat in chain. 6mm chain will do and 10mm rope. If you can afford it get 8 plaite rope. It stows away neater in the buckets. A 7kg anchor set up on an Alderney rig would be my preferred weight.

60-100 feet is the normal I fish in, in and around the solent. So I’d say a minimum of 100m of rope. You may well not need that much but better to have it for the odd occasion you may. 

Hi Adam, as Neil says above, 3-4x your regular depth is about right. In the east Wight area (the area south of Hayling Island) it rarely gets deeper than 30-35m, so if you aim for around 120m of rope you'll be fine. On my 165 I used 12mm 3 strand - generally the larger the diameter, the easier on the hands if you have to haul manually. Do you plan to use the Alderney method of anchor retrieval? If so, you can reduce your rope diameter to 10mm.

As for an anchor, I recommend you keep the grapnel for a spare and use a Bruce anchor for your main. Better holding power than the grapnel and they're not too expensive. Don't forget to trip your anchor in case of snags. Shout if you need help with how to rig an anchor to trip. For your boat a 5 or 6kg anchor would be ok. I used a 5kg on mine.

For chain the general rule of thumb is to use chain that is 1.5x the length of the boat. On my 165 I used 1x the length of chain, but went up a grade and used 8mm chain instead of 6, and this worked fine.

In fact, I have this chain going spare if you want it. 5m of 8mm galvanised chain. Free of charge but you'll probably want to pick it up in person as I imagine the postage might be quite steep. From memory you were planning to use your boat in the Reading area as well as on the coast? I'm between Reading and Newbury.

8 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Hi Adam, as Neil says above, 3-4x your regular depth is about right. In the east Wight area (the area south of Hayling Island) it rarely gets deeper than 30-35m, so if you aim for around 120m of rope you'll be fine. On my 165 I used 12mm 3 strand - generally the larger the diameter, the easier on the hands if you have to haul manually. Do you plan to use the Alderney method of anchor retrieval? If so, you can reduce your rope diameter to 10mm.

As for an anchor, I recommend you keep the grapnel for a spare and use a Bruce anchor for your main. Better holding power than the grapnel and they're not too expensive. Don't forget to trip your anchor in case of snags. Shout if you need help with how to rig an anchor to trip. For your boat a 5 or 6kg anchor would be ok. I used a 5kg on mine.

For chain the general rule of thumb is to use chain that is 1.5x the length of the boat. On my 165 I used 1x the length of chain, but went up a grade and used 8mm chain instead of 6, and this worked fine.

In fact, I have this chain going spare if you want it. 5m of 8mm galvanised chain. Free of charge but you'll probably want to pick it up in person as I imagine the postage might be quite steep. From memory you were planning to use your boat in the Reading area as well as on the coast? I'm between Reading and Newbury.

thanks Andy, very generous. Yes, I'm near Camberley, I'll message you in the new year about the chain. 

Alderney rigging is what I think we'll do, watched a load of youtube videos and it looks the easiest way. Can we use the cheap blue poly rope? Found 100m reel for £20, claims to have a 960kg breaking strain but seems worryingly cheap, stuff listed as anchor rope is £200 for 100m, don't want to cheap out and have issues but also don't want to waste money I could spend on other boat stuff 

7 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

thanks Andy, very generous. Yes, I'm near Camberley, I'll message you in the new year about the chain. 

Alderney rigging is what I think we'll do, watched a load of youtube videos and it looks the easiest way. Can we use the cheap blue poly rope? Found 100m reel for £20, claims to have a 960kg breaking strain but seems worryingly cheap, stuff listed as anchor rope is £200 for 100m, don't want to cheap out and have issues but also don't want to waste money I could spend on other boat stuff 

Don’t bother with the blue stuff. It’ll frei and tangle like you wouldn’t believe. 

Avoid blue poly like the plague. It floats and is therefore much more at risk of wrapping round your prop when recovering your anchor using the Alderney method, plus it's abrasive on your hands and doesn't coil nicely when stowing. Seriously, use nylon - either 3 or 8 strand. If you buy in bulk you should have enough rope for your main and your spare set-ups. 220m coil for £110. Link below.

https://www.ropesandtwines.com/proddetail.php?prod=10mm_nylon_rope

9 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Sat at my house I have 20m 8mm chain spliced to approx 110m 12mm tope. It’s spare.

£70 it’s yours

im in Southampton 

Why did you change? Did you go down to 6mm or up to 10mm ? 

2 minutes ago, JonC said:

I remember you changing it, why did you change though? Was it to carry more rope?

No I had enough rope, I did it because the rope I did have was not feeding through the gypsy well enough. So I decided to go to smaller plaited rope and chain so that it would fall better into the anchor locker. 
It didn’t work. 

7 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

No I had enough rope, I did it because the rope I did have was not feeding through the gypsy well enough. So I decided to go to smaller plaited rope and chain so that it would fall better into the anchor locker. 
It didn’t work. 

Were it not for the weight it would almost be worth going all chain, just to eliminate the issues with the rope not self-coiling. Presumably the anchoring power of all chain is better than chain and rope, so less could be carried?

28 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Were it not for the weight it would almost be worth going all chain, just to eliminate the issues with the rope not self-coiling. Presumably the anchoring power of all chain is better than chain and rope, so less could be carried?

I have considered this, but as you know I’m a bit nose heavy and I worry this will make it worse. 

54 minutes ago, JonC said:

Did you try the cone? If it doesn’t physically fit you could use one of @GPSguru’s butt plugs. Not the big one that he got stuck that time though. 

I think it is you that needs the butt plugs Jon ..............especially with your gimp suit 🤣

spacer.png