Plaice

I used to catch them regularly from a pier in a West Country creek, I was after fluke which were the staple there and used an ABU rauto spoon with rag on sunny summer days on the early flood.

From the boat or kayak I'm not sure how I would tackle them, spoons, bling, spreaders, rag, lug, tips of mackerel or squid?

What's your go to for spotties as I need to seriously scratch an itch as it's been 40 years since the last one I think 🤔 

I should add that I've only ever had one plaice from rod & line, which turned up on a rocky reef mark to ragworm static on the bottom - totally opposite to the received wisdom of bling on the drift 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I should add that I've only ever had one plaice from rod & line, which turned up on a rocky reef mark to ragworm static on the bottom - totally opposite to the received wisdom of bling on the drift 🤷‍♂️

I was just about to add also, that the one plaice I did catch was on a naked hook length. No bling. But it was moving, on a drift. 
I don't think bling really matters, worm quality and hook positioning and size is more critical. 

7 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Did it look like this by any chance? 

IMG_2686.jpeg

5 hours ago, GPSguru said:

mack strip tipped with squid, or frozen king prawn (Morrisons), tipped with squid

That makes things more simple for me as worm here can be very variable in quality. I hope Aldi king prawns are acceptable too 

On 3/25/2024 at 7:24 AM, Malc said:

That makes things more simple for me as worm here can be very variable in quality. I hope Aldi king prawns are acceptable too 

Prawn is my go to bait as it tends to find the bigger fish.

The worm vs fish bait is a choice between an endless string of weevers, dragonets, and tiny gurnards, or hooking the occasional doggy, and believe me, the latter is a better option.

Edited by GPSguru

Spreader bar with short 12" hooklengths or a single running ledger which i vary the length until i get bites. Ragworm, half a prawn cut lengthways tipped with a thin sliver of squid. This has worked for me on  the skerries, shambles and out of portsmouth. Green and black beads with 1 or 2 small spinner blades .

Our club record plaice 6lb 11oz was caught on the shambles using a half side of mackerel on a 5/0 hook with no bling.  We were fishing for the illusive turbot which we had but they were smaller than the plaice lol

18 hours ago, Maverick said:

Our club record plaice 6lb 11oz was caught on the shambles using a half side of mackerel on a 5/0 hook with no bling.  We were fishing for the illusive turbot which we had but they were smaller than the plaice lol

Hope you didn't get mackerel juice in the chinos!! 

20 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Ginger for life, not just a weekend 👨‍🦰

True, but still most unfortunate!  As you say Andy - the older I get the meaner I get! Geoff.😉