Strangest thing you've caught?

Andy135

As the title suggests, what's the strangest thing you've caught that wasn't a fish?

I've had a sea anemone, various shellfish, plastic wrapping and several trees (on the back cast when fly fishing).

Can anyone do better?

Caught the undersea cable to a small island.  Seagulls, a gannet, and a couple of cormorants (bass livebaits). Bats when flyfishing at night.  A mate caught a cat.  He left his rod on the pier with a conger trace and bait hanging to come and help me net a fish.  We heard a load of angry cat and looked up to see a cat hanging from the pier on his line, like a pendulum, neatly hooked in the scissors.  I was laughing so much that I found it difficult to help unhook the cat.  It was severely p1ssed off.

I love animals and will normally be the first to help in an emergency.  It's just that this cat, swinging over the sea with all its hair stood on end and sounding like a Tasmanian Devil just reduced me to collapsing with laughter.  We did get it released and took it to the vet.

My best was a bus....

Basically I was fishing a road bridge called the lougher bridge for flounder. 

I put my rod down and there was a bus waiting behind me in a queue of traffic. Bus driver opened the door to ask has I had much etc.... in this exchange I had somehow managed to get my rig stuck in the door. I didn’t know until he drove off and promptly emptied my reel....

8 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

My best was a bus....

I put my rod down and there was a bus waiting behind me in a queue of traffic. Bus driver opened the door to ask has I had much etc.... in this exchange I had somehow managed to get my rig stuck in the door. I didn’t know until he drove off and promptly emptied my reel....

Should have set that clutch properly.

24 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Should have set that clutch properly.

Well there was one time I strapped my rods to a roof rack and left my speed master reel in free spool. The entire thing emptied itself on the A48 in Cardiff. I only knew when I saw line flapping behind me and blue lights as a police car had found my genie clip. I then had to wind the entire 300 yards of line back on while suffering a lecture about safe loading of a car....

I know this sounds like a tale from the Dennis the menace, but it is honestly true. Joyce and I took a friend and his family for a canal boat holiday in Shropshire. I took Benjamin (friends 9 year old son) fishing down the bank. Benny called me over and said that he snagged the bottom. I took the rod and tried to clear the snagg. After a couple of minutes something gave and I was able to retrieve something heavy (definitely Not a fish), but an old w

Wellinton boot - full of mud an water of course, but to my amazement Benny had also caught a live Gudgeon, not on the hook but in the boot! Geoff.

Edited by Geoff

On 12/31/2020 at 6:06 PM, Odyssey said:

My best was a bus....

just as well it got away, can't imagine the size of frying pan you would need for a bus.

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

@ever optimistic, how long do you recommend for frying a bus then? 10 mins at gas mark 5?

You so obviously don’t cook. Who has a numbered hob burner? It’s not a fan oven is it! Maybe you should join Jeeves in the kitchen one day and get him to give you a run down of the place and how it all works.👍🏻

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

You so obviously don’t cook. Who has a numbered hob burner? It’s not a fan oven is it! Maybe you should join Jeeves in the kitchen one day and get him to give you a run down of the place and how it all works.👍🏻

One doesn't have a dog and bark oneself you know...