Jig Heads

Odyssey

How much do they work? How do you fish them? 

Ive used red gills on a flying collar in the past. Just never used jig heads so any tips welcomed 🙂 

3 hours ago, Odyssey said:

How much do they work? How do you fish them? 

Ive used red gills on a flying collar in the past. Just never used jig heads so any tips welcomed 🙂 

They're usually fished direct i.e. no flying collar/boom.

Generally they're lighter than the weights you'd use on a flying collar rig (they typically market them in gram weights rather than ounces, which indicates just how light some of the jig heads can be), which generally means small tides and shallower marks.

You can find jig head moulds to pour your own heavier heads - I have one for a 6oz head - but these seem to be the exception.

Where are you thinking of using them? Guessing the BC, so you may need to find a heavier head or pick a neap at slack water.

My soft plastic jig heads would most likely seem very small to most people. I mostly use them in depths of 65m and fast running water, which means plenty of boat work in setting up drift accuracy and drop time. This is also something I can't do using heavy braids as I simply loose all contact of the falling plastic if I do. Light braids of bellow 15lb will normally allow me to feel a fish hit a falling lure, which is when most of my plastics get hit. Using jig heads to heavy simply messes up the action of the lure and results in 0 catches apart from junk species. Cheap braids that fluff up after a few uses are simply not going to work as the line needs to fall off the spool without any restrictions.

Using the boat constantly dropping it into gear to back up on the falling lures and keep in contact can be tricky fishing but is soon mastered, many people use the ellectric Minn Kota motors for this. 

Jig heads need to have the correct gauge hook to suit the target species or you will soon straighten hooks. 

Soft plastics will also work very well down rigged and trolled at very slow speeds around deep reefs.

IMG_2905.thumb.JPG.e29a2dacc4df3fc4387f06c33770c3c2.JPG

I thinking of fishing over slack/little tide with a spinning rod and jig head for pollack in the spring. 

Then as the tide gets going back to feathers/flying collar. We don’t get many big pollack (2-5lb is normal stamp) on the reefs so looking to maximise my fun as I fish for bait 🤣

A simple one we use from shore and boat is a big gummie mack (orange) with an appropriate bullet lead free on the line above a big link swivel and bead to take the twist.  Same works with firetail worms, orange shads etc.  Pollack here seem fixated on fluo orange, with bronze or brown sometimes working in overcast conditions.  Fluo green catches ling with us, but not much else.

On 1/4/2021 at 5:26 PM, SiDfish said:

A simple one we use from shore and boat is a big gummie mack (orange) with an appropriate bullet lead free on the line above a big link swivel and bead to take the twist.  Same works with firetail worms, orange shads etc.  Pollack here seem fixated on fluo orange, with bronze or brown sometimes working in overcast conditions.  Fluo green catches ling with us, but not much else.

So basically a Texas rig, but if there is a trace between the link swivel and lure, then it becomes a Carolina rig ................

• 1 year later...
On 1/4/2021 at 2:10 PM, Odyssey said:

I thinking of fishing over slack/little tide with a spinning rod and jig head for pollack in the spring. 

Then as the tide gets going back to feathers/flying collar. We don’t get many big pollack (2-5lb is normal stamp) on the reefs so looking to maximise my fun as I fish for bait 🤣

Sorry to resurrect the thread but I'm with GPSGURU, using a texas rig is ideal on those occasions but they need to be cast. My favourite way is to be 10m off the structure and drifting alongside it, cast over and as soon as the lure hits the surface put the bail over and feel the lure drop through the water column, any stop you should strike and count down the first cast so you know the "depth" and it's just a case of retrieving at different levels. If it takes say 10 seconds to hit bottom, next cast wind at 8, then 7 etc but I  wouldn't go to mid water unless very shallow. I use jelly worms and also red Gill evo stix and retrieve is as slow as possible.