Prop anode

1 minute ago, Maverick said:

The cone is part of the nut that holds the prop on.  The anode fits over the cone and is held in place with an allen key threaded screw (can't remember their proper name.  This screw should have a little lock tight on it to secure.

similar to this

Accesories - Shaft Lines - Zinc Anode Nuts

You have just copied my work with a photo added. Charlatan. 

Whilst you are doing your anode check your circuit/bonding for continuity.  I had a bonding cable that had corroded through and allowed for slight pitting on one of my rudders.  We just caught it in time before masses of damage was done

2 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

The cone is part of the nut. It is what the anode sits over and then bolts to. 

Ah, Ok, I understand now, I don't normally get involved with the under carriage, my work is usually the oily bits inside the boat where there is lots of swearing and skinned knuckles !  ............... put a pod on the back with twin Verado's 👍

24 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Ah, Ok, I understand now, I don't normally get involved with the under carriage, my work is usually the oily bits inside the boat where there is lots of swearing and skinned knuckles !  ............... put a pod on the back with twin Verado's 👍

Make that twin Yamaha’s 😉 

6 minutes ago, JonC said:

I’m getting fed up with this going off topic thing. Once again the same people dragging this down to their level. 

You tell 'em Jon! Glad we've got you here, whiter than white, to keep us all on the straight and narrow... 😉

25 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Clearly the advert is struggling with the difference between a set screw and a bolt....

They do mention both Steve, although for the uninitiated The picture shows set screws. For Jon C, the allen word refers to the hexagon recess to allow an allen key to fit. A set screw is threaded for the full length of the stated diameter whereas a bolt is only threaded partially to leave the full shank diameter up as far as the head. The set screws pictured are referred to as  socket head or cap screws. Various other heads are available, the most common being countersink, hexagon and button head. Grub screws have no head at all, the hexagon recess is within the screw diameter. In use the grub screw length is usually specified such that it does not extend out further than the part it is securing. Sorry about the lecture as I am sure most of our readers are fully aware of all this. Geoff. ☺️

6 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Shouldn't they be A4 stainless for marine use tho?

Yes Steve, for marine use I believe grade A2 is even better, but I am not 100% sure - i'll have to google it. Geoff. ☺️

Edited by Geoff
spelling

5 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Yes Steve, for marine use I believe grade A2 is even better, but I am not 100% sure - i'll have to google it. Geoff. ☺️

A4 is the recommended "marine grade" and has the highest corrosion resistance of the 2 👍

2 hours ago, JonC said:

Ok you bunch of tossers, if I was to say a set screw with an capped head that requires an Allen key would that be better? 
I am just going to ban all of you. 

Not in place of a grub screw Jon ☺️ Geoff.