Super trawler petition

Pecheur Anglais

Some of you have probably signed this already, but if not please consider it.

The way these boats efficiently empty the seas of pelagic fish is appalling and worth a couple of minutes to get behind the petition against them.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/550730

14 hours ago, Pecheur Anglais said:

Some of you have probably signed this already, but if not please consider it.

The way these boats efficiently empty the seas of pelagic fish is appalling and worth a couple of minutes to get behind the petition against them.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/550730

Done

From my local MP..

Dear Neil

Thank you for contacting me about sustainable fishing in British waters and the access of large trawling vessels to our waters.

I share your concern about the protection and health of British waters and I am fully aware of the impact that super trawlers have on marine life. Our waters are a precious natural resource and they must be managed carefully. The future of the communities that earn their livelihoods from the sea and the biodiversity of the ocean depends on a balanced and considered approach to fisheries management.

The UK has 357 Marine Protected Areas covering a quarter of the country’s waters but the EU’s Common Fisheries Policy has restricted our ability to impose more stringent protections on our seas. I am pleased that now our future relationship with the EU has been agreed, the UK will be able to introduce stronger measures so that we can manage our waters as we see fit.

The Fisheries Act will help to protect our marine resources and develop plans to restore our fish stock back to more sustainable levels. This builds on a manifesto commitment which promised to introduce a legal commitment to fish sustainably as we become an independent coastal state once again.

I understand that the access of super trawlers to UK waters is of significant concern to local fishing communities and to those working to protect our seas. I am pleased that the Fisheries Act has provided the Government with powers to licence foreign vessels in UK waters. This means that any vessel granted access to our waters will also be required to abide by UK rules, including on sustainability, and I fully support this approach. I am pleased that we are once again in control of how we protect our waters.

I understand that temporary licences have been granted to a handful of vessels to allow them to continue fishing in UK waters beyond 31 December 2020, and are valid until the 21st January 2021. I am pleased that the Prime Minister recently highlighted the freedom available to now manage our own fisheries, including ending the practice of pulse fishing and the potential to regulate the activity of large vessels sometimes referred to as supertrawlers. I look forward to hearing more details on this shortly, and in the meantime will ensure my Ministerial colleagues are aware of your strong feelings on this issue.

I know that commercial fishing vessels must demonstrate a genuine link with the UK economy to fish our waters, which is important to ensure local communities benefit from the fishing activities of UK-registered vessels. I am pleased that the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs has consulted on options for strengthening this link. This consultation outlined plans to increase the landing requirements from 50 per cent to 70 per cent for quota catch caught by English registered vessels landing more than 2 tonnes per annum. I look forward to reading the Minister's response to this consultation which is due shortly.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me.

Best wishes

Royston

Royston Smith | Member of Parliament

Member of Parliament for Southampton Itchen