Transducer anti foul

I know for sure this has been covered by us before on the dark side. But not here. And tbh I’ve forgotten the reasons so I’ll ask again. 

what's the problem with priming and anti fouling a transducer ? 
and I mean using the same stuff you’d put on the hull. 
ive tried transducer specific stuff before and it just doesn’t work. So why not the real stuff? 

9 hours ago, Maverick said:

Yes the Echo instructions say no primer just lightly abraid the plastic then stick it on.

Yeah I’ve researched the echo fouler and it seems to be pants Martin. Most people saying how ineffective it is. That’s why I’m looking for a plastics primer I can use first then put normal AF on. 

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

I used to find someone who wanted a trip out, get them over the side to clean it for a free trip....

Yep, we used to do almost the same with the Bayliner Classic a few years ago. When we went out to the mooring on the dingy, the first job would be to tie onto the stern and clear the transducer of growth (mostly Mussels) and check the engine intake was clear.

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Well it’s been debated that standard anti foul eats the plastic of the transducer! 

What doe the manufacturer say about it ?

Modern paints in general are much 'greener' then even a couple of years ago, so maybe the solvent and metallic content of antifoul is now much lower than it ever used to be.

18 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

What doe the manufacturer say about it ?

Modern paints in general are much 'greener' then even a couple of years ago, so maybe the solvent and metallic content of antifoul is now much lower than it ever used to be.

Funnily enough I was just about to email Garmin! 
I will report back. 

Found this in Garmin's Q&A

In certain environments, namely salt water, Garmin recommends painting the transducer with a water based, anti-fouling paint.

Anti-fouling paint helps to hinder marine growth and maintain transducer performance. This also helps in boat maintenance by lowering the costs associated with hauling a boat for cleaning.

Garmin recommends only using a water based, anti-fouling paint. Ketone-based paints should never be used. Ketone-based paints can weaken many plastics and possibly damage the transducer.

Please note: Garmin does not recommend painting the paddlewheel portion or any moving parts of a transducer as this can cause restriction.

I’ll email my MP.... not sure why, I can’t think of anyone else to email and need to look busy like the rest of you.... 😬

Edited by Odyssey
Spelling (again)

38 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I’ll email my MP.... not sure why, I can’t think of anyone else to email and need to look busy like the rest of you.... 😬

You could be writing your next article.... 

“ how to drag up @headlight from the deep”!!