Tamar tussles

Plaicehunter

A hectic four hours of uptiding on the Tamar today yielded four conger and some good whiting to 1lb 11oz. The first eel was around 10lb, but was dwarfed by the next, a real 'anaconda' of around 6ft long and very thick-set. A 'cod' on the whiting rod mysteriously turned into a 5lb eel as it surfaced in the fast ebb tide. And the final fish of the day was another whopping eel, which fought hard with crash dives, vicious head-shakes and vigorous spinning. The big eels came to whole joey mackerel baits on a pulley pennell, the whiting to a two-hook flapper baited with squid and mackerel pieces. Great sport not far from home! PH

IMG_20210117_120933.jpg

IMG_20210117_095020.jpg

Yeah, true, but we had the Boga grip there and there's more space to avoid an angry conger in your tub. If all else fails we can hide like schoolgirls in your saloon with the door shut 🤣. Not sure @Plaicehunter has that option!

Well done on getting out Graham ........ Still no Cod but at least you have put in the hours, and a few decent whiting are OK.

I thought about going out today as the sea was 0.3m @ 12.5 secs, so almost flat calm, however, the tides were not good for a timely recovery, so I gave it a miss.

Great result. Well done. I love your picture of the Torpoint ferry. I started my apprenticeship at HMS Fisgard in January 1959, met my wife Joyce at the Cappuccino coffee bar. Neither of us had much money so we often spent the evening cruising back and forth over the Tamar. Foot passengers paid 1d for the crossing, paid only on the Cornish side so Joyce "cruised" FOC and it cost me 2d at the end of the evening (1d on &1d off), Joyce did of course have to pay her bus fare home, but I would walk (or thumb it) back to Fisgard.  For part of our golden wedding AV celebrations we arranged with the ferry management to set up on the top deck and had a table set up and a few family and friends join us for a Tamar cruise, In the early/mid eighties we took our boat up the Tamar just after the Falklands war and have a couple of pics of returned warships covered in bullet holes. Just for info the screensaver (wallpaper) Joyces computer is a BW (ex calender) picture of a '50's  Torpoint ferry. Not meaning to do  a JC and hijack this thread, but MY best ever catch was Joyce! Big softy!!!☺️ Geoff.

5 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Yeah, true, but we had the Boga grip there and there's more space to avoid an angry conger in your tub. If all else fails we can hide like schoolgirls in your saloon with the door shut 🤣. Not sure @Plaicehunter has that option!

What’s with that grip thing? Are you all scared of touching the fish? 

On 1/17/2021 at 4:00 PM, Saintly Fish said:

Well done again that man. Why no photos of the eels though?

I don't bring conger into my 18ft open boat. I T-bar them off at the side if possible and cut them off only if the hooks are deep. Three of the four were lip-hooked fortunately! I did try to film one of the bigger ones, but playing an angry 6ft conger with one hand in a fast tide while holding a phone in the other hand is not easy! The video clip was too big to load on here. PH

1 hour ago, Plaicehunter said:

No, but I am on WhatsApp. PH

I’m a techno mong but even I have worked out how to post the link from YouTube. If you set up a free account on YouTube you can just upload the video and copy and paste the link. Trust me I’m bad at this stuff. I can’t even workout how to ban @Maverickfor the crime of back chatting a member of the senior leadership team. 

12 minutes ago, JonC said:

I’m a techno mong but even I have worked out how to post the link from YouTube. If you set up a free account on YouTube you can just upload the video and copy and paste the link. Trust me I’m bad at this stuff. I can’t even workout how to ban @Maverickfor the crime of back chatting a member of the senior leadership team. 

Regarding YouTube, you need to select the "Share" link to paste in here, then it'll Embed.

AdjL1MNl.jpg

If you just copy the URL from the address bar it only appears as a link. See below - the two URL's are different, and it's the Share link that works.

v08DbMhl.jpg

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

Regarding YouTube, you need to select the "Share" link to paste in here, then it'll Embed.

AdjL1MNl.jpg

If you just copy the URL from the address bar it only appears as a link. See below - the two URL's are different, and it's the Share link that works.

v08DbMhl.jpg

You had to ruin it.

Dear Outlaws, I have posted my pathetic attempt at videoing on YouTube. Obviously I haven't got to grips with editing yet, but at least you get to see one of the eels. The whole thing lasts just over a minute, including the blank bit in the middle. I enjoyed the bit where the fish dived and I'm clearly heard to cry "Oh sh*t!" It's called Conger battle on the Tamar. Enjoy! PH