The battle begins today.

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Thanks Ian, but I’ve made the decision to leave it on and clean it in place. I’ve got other bits to get done that are more important ATM. Next season I’ll remove and get the whole prop refurbished professionally. 

Theres the next boat woes thread right there, "My prop and shaft has been eaten". Get it done man, while she's out and we're on lockdown!! Pair of stilly's, spanner, hammer or socket and bar and maybe a puller and you're there........ And you'll have peace of mind

17 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Theres the next boat woes thread right there, "My prop and shaft has been eaten". Get it done man, while she's out and we're on lockdown!! Pair of stilly's, spanner, hammer or socket and bar and maybe a puller and you're there........ And you'll have peace of mind

@suzook12Dont be dramatic Steve, the anode has been sourced and replaced. I only wanted to take the prop off so I could polish it in comfort at home. No other reason. There is no problem with it. I was just making a job for myself that doesn’t really need to be done. 

4 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Thanks Ian, but I’ve made the decision to leave it on and clean it in place. I’ve got other bits to get done that are more important ATM. Next season I’ll remove and get the whole prop refurbished professionally. 

My only concern is that the shaft & prop should be greased annually for the same reasons as an outboard.

However if it looks ok with no obvious corrosion then I guess another year wont matter as you don't know when it was last removed. If it has been on there a few years it could be a bastid to get off but a decent puller some heat and a bit of patience will see the job done.

3 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

@suzook12Dont be dramatic Steve, the anode has been sourced and replaced. I only wanted to take the prop off so I could polish it in comfort at home. No other reason. There is no problem with it. I was just making a job for myself that doesn’t really need to be done. 

Yeah I make you right. If something is hard then it’s not worth doing. 

While I was there this morning I whipped the boarding ladder off, there was rust stains on it that have also stained the boarding platform so I need to get some oxalic on there. 
F448F306-6F60-463B-B729-3C079782E99D.thumb.jpeg.ff8bd33990de97b046a066c37ce7f03a.jpeg
I used a bit of rust cleaner and a gentle rub with a wire brush and it lifted out.877D94CA-92AA-48BB-9945-3E413C67CDA2.thumb.jpeg.06dec4443a45e1bb107c8dab77f49d6a.jpeg

It was only secured with 6 m6 screws.The nuts were pretty tight but I got them off, I’m not the type of person to let a nut beat me. 
I also removed the auxiliary bracket, this is a block of wood mounted vertically on the swim platform. It has probably never been off, as when I levered it off after removing the coach screws that secure it the adhesive behind it took a big chunk of gel coat off with it. 

13 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I didn’t realise 👨🏼‍🦰👽🧠 were humorous........ 

oh wait.............. yeah..... they’re not. 

Bit grumpy today @Saintly Fish. What's the matter, are your nuts too tight? 

@suzook12 

654AF9E6-46D2-4902-B867-986B235153CE.jpeg.f7bd01c566314bd6cc41027c67c0fb3a.jpeg

There old boy, I’ve got it off.

Trouble is my prop puller won’t fit on because the rudder is too close to the end of the nut so it won’t sit straight. As @JonC suggested, I’m going to have to cut the bolt down to make it fit. So far I’ve achieved bending the puller. 
6F688E60-DC8A-49C6-9CEF-6A7ED6286AA7.jpeg.0580af0dc1431efdfe8ac7fab734febe.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yeah mine is bent on the grab arms not the bolt. But yeah I couldn’t get it on straight. 

There was some woman from Portsmouth who made one up out of two plates and two bolts that was a lot more compact. Shame I don’t remember her name as she would probably lend it to you. 

Just now, JonC said:

There was some woman from Portsmouth who made one up out of two plates and two bolts that was a lot more compact. Shame I don’t remember her name as she would probably lend it to you. 

That’s ok, think I’d rather pay someone !! 

1 minute ago, suzook12 said:

The hammer? Yeah you got a point...... 🤣

Can you imagine him underneath his boat smashing the granny out of his prop, it’ll definitely need to go to the menders when he’s finished with it. 

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

@suzook12 

654AF9E6-46D2-4902-B867-986B235153CE.jpeg.f7bd01c566314bd6cc41027c67c0fb3a.jpeg

There old boy, I’ve got it off.

Trouble is my prop puller won’t fit on because the rudder is too close to the end of the nut so it won’t sit straight. As @JonC suggested, I’m going to have to cut the bolt down to make it fit. So far I’ve achieved bending the puller. 
6F688E60-DC8A-49C6-9CEF-6A7ED6286AA7.jpeg.0580af0dc1431efdfe8ac7fab734febe.jpeg

You could make one out of 3 pieces of 8mm plate and  4 short lengths of 10mm or 12mm threaded rod.

2 of the 8mm plates go behind the prop and connect to another 8mm plate which is placed over the end of the shaft.

Edited by GPSguru