Cooking Bass

NOT Sea bass

BASS

The last couple I oven baked in a foil parcel, with a knob of butter and some seasoning in the stomach cavity (for a daughter that's usually off fried food)

I prefer shallow fried personally

What do you do with a Bass if it's to be cooked ?

I'm not a huge fan of bass to eat, but I occasionally do it shallow fried for the kids, who love it. Tried it in a foil parcel years ago and it was ok, but we didn't enjoy it enough to cook it regularly. Probably just my terrible cooking... 🤢

Foil wrapped 20 mins in oven, serve with green beans and new potatoes (pref home grown) 😋 

However, I do feel it’s over rated. Mackerel tastes good As long as it’s fresh. 

The old ball and chain likes hers either filleted and skined, with salt and pepper,  garlic, butter and dark soy. Foil wrapped lightly and in an oven at 160 / 170 for 20 - 25 minutes depending on size of fillets. 

The other method is head and tailed foil wrap with salt and pepper, garlic, ginger drizzled with olive oil.. depending on the size of fish rough guide being 160 for 40 minutes.

This is my go to recipe for bass https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spanish-roast-fish-broad-beans-chorizo

Obviously this recipe was made for farmed bass but works well with a larger fish or filets, just adjust the cooking time of the fish to suit. Also works well with whole bream.

• 1 month later...

I like Bass cooked the Mediterranean way, the recipe is a bit lengthy but here goes;

heat some olive oil in a pan,add a squirt of tomato paste,sundried tomato paste,garlic paste,chile paste and a pinch of dried mixed herbs,fry gently for a couple of minutes.

add skinned fillets of bass,or any other white fish and fry gently for a couple of minutes each side.

add a tin of tomatoes,stir in, then add a tin of butter beans or cannelini beans,make sure you rinse the beans off in cold water to remove the starch before adding them.

add salt then cover the pan and simmer gently on the lowest possible heat for about an hour to soften the beans.

This is my favorite Bass recipe stolen from the PBSBAC website recipe from Member Adam Franklin

Take your bass, gutted and remove head and tail. Make 4 incisions across the fish on each side to allow heat to penatrate.

Garnish liberally with salt and pepper. Cut a 3" piece of ginger into thin slices and arrange in the stomach cavity. Take a large orange, slice into thin wedges. Put 4/5 of these in the stomach cavity and another 4 into the slits in the flank of the fish. Drizzle a little olive oil and sprinkle a little basil.

Grill the fish slowly allowing to cook right through for about 10 - 15 mins each side, depending on the size of fish. Replace the burnt orange slices for new ones when you turn the fish over.

For the sauce. Melt 1oz butter and 5 tablespoons of suger in a small saucepan. When melted add the grated rind from 1 orange, the juice from the orange and a splash of pure orange juice and lemon juice. Bring to the boil for about 4/5 mins - this will reduce down to a lovely thick sweet sauce.

Serve the bass piping hot straight from the grill, with a decent splash of soy sauce, a handfull of matchstick spring onions all drizzled in the orange sauce.

Simply the best fish dish ever?....

post-15-1096400664.jpg

Loads of other interesting recipes on our site just register and view

Edited by Maverick

me i like it. guted filerted seasond and fresh lemon sqized over i a bowl.

clariefie the buter.

add buter to the f / panwith a oven proff handel and heat gentlyaddthe fillits face down, cook for a few minits and turn over.

add sliced allmonds , and put into the oven just a few minits on a slow oven.

remover from the oven check to see its cooked through. place the fillits on to a warm plate add the remaning lemon juice from the holding dish marinadde. make it hot without burning (takes seconds )pore over the fish (dont dron it )put allmonds from the pan over the fish. parsly to decerate