E10 Fuel

Just use super unleaded instead, those will remain E5 based.

Ethanol tends to absorb moisture, so not ideal on a boat.....

If you have the time you can remove the ethanol as per some racers do

Although may take some time if you are carrying 75L of the stuff and of course expensive....

Worth a read.... https://www.sail-world.com/Australia/Effects-of-Ethanol-E10-on-the-outboard-the-real-story/-95413?source=google

Edited by suzook12

According to the government it's likely that older outboards will be affected.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/e10-petrol-explained

As I understand it, the E10 grade will speed up the deterioration of rubber fuel lines if they're older than 2011 or not E10 compatible, so use E5 super unleaded instead. I expect marinas will start supplying E5 and charging even higher prices for doing so.

You could in theory change your fuel lines to E10 compatible ones but as all marinas will likely stock E5 instead of E10 it won't make any odds.

28 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

According to the government it's likely that older outboards will be affected.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/e10-petrol-explained

As I understand it, the E10 grade will speed up the deterioration of rubber fuel lines if they're older than 2011 or not E10 compatible, so use E5 super unleaded instead. I expect marinas will start supplying E5 and charging even higher prices for doing so.

You could in theory change your fuel lines to E10 compatible ones but as all marinas will likely stock E5 instead of E10 it won't make any odds.

Its more than just fuel lines though Andy, it's all rubber parts, some castings and many plastics. Read the article I posted at the bottom of last reply, it will give you a better idea.....

10 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Its more than just fuel lines though Andy, it's all rubber parts, some castings and many plastics. Read the article I posted at the bottom of last reply, it will give you a better idea.....

I have concerns about the hygroscopic properties when E10 fuel is left for a while onboard in a potentially damp environment.

its grate for outboard makers, all those old outboards will be on the scrape heap, the second hand market price will fall through the floor,

yhere has been talk about this in the M A G, for at least  6 years may be more , but i have not heard of a solotion as yet

38 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Marinas won’t go for higher grade fuel... They charge more as they can’t get it in bulk like a normal supermarket/garage can...

Looks like they might be forced to though. They can't sell the regular fuel at E5 now (it has to be E10, which many of their marina customers can't use), so they'll follow market demand for the Super grade E5 and drop the regular stuff instead of footing the cost to install new pumps for the two grades of petrol. So the existing pumps would supply Super grade E5 and they'll charge even more of a mark-up cos Super-grade is higher octane and is more expensive anyway.

33 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Looks like they might be forced to though. They can't sell the regular fuel at E5 now (it has to be E10, which many of their marina customers can't use), so they'll follow market demand for the Super grade E5 and drop the regular stuff instead of footing the cost to install new pumps for the two grades of petrol. So the existing pumps would supply Super grade E5 and they'll charge even more of a mark-up cos Super-grade is higher octane and is more expensive anyway.

Guess we're right back at the decanting debate...... Of course the diesel boys have gotten away with it for now

Edited by suzook12

21 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Yeah, there has been much talk about what is allowable/illegal etc to transport/store/decant for personal useage, not here, but in general

Ah that old chestnut! 

ive done 200l loads of times no issues 🙂 Just need a good petrol  garage 😉 

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

Ah that old chestnut! 

ive done 200l loads of times no issues 🙂 Just need a good petrol  garage 😉 

If it weren't so feckin expensive I'd just order a barrel of sunoco R SUR but at £540 a barrel......

4 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Yeah, there has been much talk about what is allowable/illegal etc to transport/store/decant for personal useage, not here, but in general

In the UK the definitive answer is 240L, but I doubt that you will find many places that allow more than 5 or 10L due to local policy.

If I want more than 10L, then I use pay at the pump in the late evening or early morning.

Edited by GPSguru

12 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

In the UK the definitive answer is 240L, but I doubt that you will find many places that allow more than 5 or 10L due to local policy.

If I want more than 10L, then I use pat at the pump in the late evening or early morning.

Yep! 

Mikford haven Tesco used to have a queue of commercial fisherman with cans there before Marina put a petrol pump in. Same with Penarth Tesco 🤣

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

That’s not good news for those with older boats. Time to sell them? But who would want to buy a boat with an engine that can’t be used? Can they be converted or is there an additive?

50 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

That’s not good news for those with older boats. Time to sell them? But who would want to buy a boat with an engine that can’t be used? Can they be converted or is there an additive?

As far as I'm aware, the only option would be to use E5 Super Unleaded. Marinas will convert their pumps to supply this instead of regular unleaded. Cost will go up but we'll keep on boating.

8 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

As far as I'm aware, the only option would be to use E5 Super Unleaded. Marinas will convert their pumps to supply this instead of regular unleaded. Cost will go up but we'll keep on boating.

According to that article the only way is to use kerb side petrol stations. No mention of marinas converting their pump for E5. Why would they bother if 95% of boats can take E10!

21 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

According to that article the only way is to use kerb side petrol stations. No mention of marinas converting their pump for E5. Why would they bother if 95% of boats can take E10!

Cos I reckon that 95% estimate is optimistic, and the marinas will see it as an opportunity to make a bigger mark up for E5.

3 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

I think if you read the RYA statement it says 95% road vehicles.

Why do you need to change the pump at marinas ,surely you just clean tanks and fill with super unleaded.