Off the mark

Plaicehunter

That's a great result for this time of year. Very well done 👍

What sort of feature were you fishing over? I'm guessing a shallow reef if you're getting bass on lures from the boat?

4 hours ago, Andy135 said:

That's a great result for this time of year. Very well done 👍

What sort of feature were you fishing over? I'm guessing a shallow reef if you're getting bass on lures from the boat?

I was fishing the estuary over shallow mud flats which are dry on a big tide and have the odd rock and patch of weed. There is a channel leading to a big shallow bay which gets very warm in summer, as the dark mud absorbs the sun's heat. I anchor on the edge of the channel but most of my bass come casting onto the shallows themselves. Fish often take as the lure swings onto the edge of the channel; I don't catch many right in the channel, though I did get one of 7-10 one day while waiting for the flood tide. In summer you can see bass and mullet coming up on the surface with the tide to feed in the bay, and quite often bass drive baitfish up there and there is carnage in the shallow water. Very exciting! 

14 minutes ago, Plaicehunter said:

I was fishing the estuary over shallow mud flats which are dry on a big tide and have the odd rock and patch of weed. There is a channel leading to a big shallow bay which gets very warm in summer, as the dark mud absorbs the sun's heat. I anchor on the edge of the channel but most of my bass come casting onto the shallows themselves. Fish often take as the lure swings onto the edge of the channel; I don't catch many right in the channel, though I did get one of 7-10 one day while waiting for the flood tide. In summer you can see bass and mullet coming up on the surface with the tide to feed in the bay, and quite often bass drive baitfish up there and there is carnage in the shallow water. Very exciting! 

This is very insightful - thanks. I can think of a couple of places like that in Portsmouth and Langstone Harbours where I could get the boat anchored up. Will give your approach a try 👍

16 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Good stuff, glad you made the most of getting out for the day 👍

..... Shouldn't this be in the boat section though, not shore?

It’s in the “bass on lures” section. I don’t think we discriminate.

44 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

I just asked a question,

maybe you should have a bass fishing section, it wouldn't matter then.... Just boat reports in shore and vice versa is messy, and makes things harder to find should you want to later.....

I don’t disagree Steve. Maybe a separate section is needed. 

On 3/20/2021 at 11:17 AM, suzook12 said:

I just asked a question,

maybe you should have a bass fishing section, it wouldn't matter then.... Just boat reports in shore and vice versa is messy, and makes things harder to find should you want to later.....

Why would you want a separate section for spiky pot bait 🙄

Edited by GPSguru