Turn for the worse....

suzook12

So, past few weeks have been doing an awful lot of welding to my Iveco Daily. Yesterday was making the last patches for the front under the wheel arch, all going reasonably well. 2 plates tacked in, got up to make the last 2 plates to see a lot of smoke coming out from under the bonnet. Strange I thought, not been schutzed yet....... The sealer I was using to go round the welds with, turns out it's f**kin flammeable!!

Wouldn't be so bad, but that ignited the armourflex cable trunking, which in turn melted about 40 control wires for the ECU!!

Talk about gutted. Today is going to be decision day, scrap it or carry on with a load of extra work now. It's not even moveable now. If it was outdoors would have been tempted to let it burn lol.....

6 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

How much of the wire length has been affected? Could you bridge the affected sections with new?

Yes, I can do that.... Theres about 1-2 foot of wire affected, it'll be messy all spliced in the same area (one end as it dissappears down the gearbox tunnel after) and trying to unravel and unstick them all. About a week I reckon, then will find out if the ECU has been damaged........ It was the next patch I was concerned about as that has foam and rubber the other side, and fuse box above it..... Scrap is through the floor currently, so looks like Ive gotta carry on.

4 hours ago, suzook12 said:

So, past few weeks have been doing an awful lot of welding to my Iveco Daily. Yesterday was making the last patches for the front under the wheel arch, all going reasonably well. 2 plates tacked in, got up to make the last 2 plates to see a lot of smoke coming out from under the bonnet. Strange I thought, not been schutzed yet....... The sealer I was using to go round the welds with, turns out it's f**kin flammeable!!

Wouldn't be so bad, but that ignited the armourflex cable trunking, which in turn melted about 40 control wires for the ECU!!

Talk about gutted. Today is going to be decision day, scrap it or carry on with a load of extra work now. It's not even moveable now. If it was outdoors would have been tempted to let it burn lol.....

Can you not get a replacement loom section from a commercial breaker ? ........ it would be quicker and more preferable than splicing.

If you were welding then you would have (should have !) had the battery disconnected, so damage to the ECU is unlikely.

2 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Can you not get a replacement loom section from a commercial breaker ? ........ it would be quicker and more preferable than splicing.

If you were welding then you would have (should have !) had the battery disconnected, so damage to the ECU is unlikely.

Controversial subject there mate, old school thinking is battery needs to be disconnected to avoid voltage spikes, more modern view is you actually want the battery to absord and dissipate any spikes Battery was actually connected, but no harm was done to the main live(s) so should theoretically be no power to the ECU.

The truth is I won't know till I've rewired it all now, and the way this thing has panned out, I'm not making any assumptions.....

I think replacing the loom will be a bigger PITA than just cutting out and replacing the damaged, as it.s the main trunk that is damaged that runs through the bodywork everywhere....

I will certainly finish the welding before any attempts to rewire it, don't want to do it twice lol

53 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Controversial subject there mate, old school thinking is battery needs to be disconnected to avoid voltage spikes, more modern view is you actually want the battery to absord and dissipate any spikes Battery was actually connected, but no harm was done to the main live(s) so should theoretically be no power to the ECU.

The truth is I won't know till I've rewired it all now, and the way this thing has panned out, I'm not making any assumptions.....

I think replacing the loom will be a bigger PITA than just cutting out and replacing the damaged, as it.s the main trunk that is damaged that runs through the bodywork everywhere....

I will certainly finish the welding before any attempts to rewire it, don't want to do it twice lol

Yep, I’m old school, even though I have a spike protector !

With me it is usuall habit to disconnect the battery before I do anything major on a car.

Howver, I do find welding very therapeutic and satisfying !

55 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Yep, I’m old school, even though I have a spike protector !

With me it is usuall habit to disconnect the battery before I do anything major on a car.

Howver, I do find welding very therapeutic and satisfying !

I quite enjoy welding, but not cars/vans. Ally TIG welding was always my goto, time just flew by

Iveco UK have no part in stockm nor are they going to, Iveco NL has the relevant subharness...... £800!!!!

Guess I'll be rewiring it then, not going to put a second hand one on as there are so many variants, and the wires that thin they are prone to failing anyway, don't fancy buying more issues....

Back on the welding Wednesday....