Grrrr

So my starboard engine fired up and ran today for all of 5 mins..... then wouldn’t restart. 

It cranks, nearly runs but cuts out.... I’ve checked fuel seems fine, there are volts, fuel pump is whirring...

it’s a full EFI engine, got a mechanic booked in for Thursday to run a diagnostic check...

Ideas please 🙂 

Edited by Odyssey

Same fuel in both tanks, it’s run already no issues, I’ve checked the water separator and no water. 

Im wondering coil pack, injectors or sensors 

4 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Could be something relatively simple like crank/cam position sensor

It sounds like sensor to me....

Injector and coil pack more likely to go under load. Sensor just needs to be out of range and ECU says “computer says no” and sits there looking grumpy 🤣

Diagnostics will hopefully sort it out! 

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

What about you mate and ours @headlight?? What’s happened to him. Has he come up for air yet this year?

I offered to take him out but he was busy working 

Hes got a new bench seat for his boat for the new lady to sit on when she comes out....

True....

coujd be MAF, fuel flow, injectors, CDI, coils, phase of moon...

Hopefully diagnostics will show sensor else its get mechanic to look at spark plugs and work back from there...

28 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Good luck Luke, hope it a simple quick fix 

I hope so! 

Some of the guys from CBYC have taken their boats down to Milford so I’m seeing pics of blue sea and fish on WhatsApp. 

I’ve got 300kg of mackerel being delivered next week so need boat up and running soon to get me out there to use all this bait 🤣

On 4/13/2021 at 8:10 PM, Odyssey said:

So my starboard engine fired up and ran today for all of 5 mins..... then wouldn’t restart. 

It cranks, nearly runs but cuts out.... I’ve checked fuel seems fine, there are volts, fuel pump is whirring...

it’s a full EFI engine, got a mechanic booked in for Thursday to run a diagnostic check...

Ideas please 🙂 

Sounds like a fuel issue, probably high pressure pump or pump filter ......... certainly something that is common to all cylinders.

Could even be simple like a split hose, or sucking extra air .............

A diagnostics check will soon sort it out, or put you on the right path to the fault.

Edited by GPSguru

On 4/14/2021 at 11:27 PM, GPSguru said:

Sounds like a fuel issue, probably high pressure pump or pump filter ......... certainly something that is common to all cylinders.

Could even be simple like a split hose, or sucking extra air .............

A diagnostics check will soon sort it out, or put you on the right path to the fault.

So it’s back up and running....

There is a fuel flow sensor harness whiz head removed to get to the fly wheel to get to the tensioner to get to the timing belt. It’s a daft place (I saw the pictures) and as the mechanic had thought he’d done it up tight but hadn’t when doing timing belt. So engine thought it had no fuel when it did....

Anyway good to go...

17 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

So it’s back up and running....

There is a fuel flow sensor harness whiz head removed to get to the fly wheel to get to the tensioner to get to the timing belt. It’s a daft place (I saw the pictures) and as the mechanic had thought he’d done it up tight but hadn’t when doing timing belt. So engine thought it had no fuel when it did....

Anyway good to go...

Superb news Luke, and a FOC repair too I’d imagine? 

FOC which is good. 

Also the honesty was nice, could of easily ripped me off and said needed a new fuel flow sensor as that’s what the diagnostics said....

He did say he hates timing belts on those engines and connecting it up in December with cold hands is always a bad idea 🤣

24 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

FOC which is good. 

Also the honesty was nice, could of easily ripped me off and said needed a new fuel flow sensor as that’s what the diagnostics said....

He did say he hates timing belts on those engines and connecting it up in December with cold hands is always a bad idea 🤣

Now go catch some dogs. 

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Now go catch some dogs. 

Can’t.... I’ve got 4 tons of concrete to lay instead 😢😢😢😢😢😢😢