Jump to content

Lifejackets


Geoff
 Share

Recommended Posts

With hopefully the launch of our boat getting close, and the rapidly approaching July meet there are still a few (too many) things that I need to buy, beg,borrow or steal. Joyce has been looking into reasonably priced life jackets and has suggested a couple of "Seago Seaguard 165N adult automatic life jackets without harness". Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome. As we are not likely to spend too much time (not enough - getting a bit old) on the sea I do not want to spend too much money, but we are looking for something fit for purpose. Thank you. Geoff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

With hopefully the launch of our boat getting close, and the rapidly approaching July meet there are still a few (too many) things that I need to buy, beg,borrow or steal. Joyce has been looking into reasonably priced life jackets and has suggested a couple of "Seago Seaguard 165N adult automatic life jackets without harness". Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome. As we are not likely to spend too much time (not enough - getting a bit old) on the sea I do not want to spend too much money, but we are looking for something fit for purpose. Thank you. Geoff.

For the type of boating yourself and Joyce will be doing Geoff then these jackets should do you just fine. Seago are a good make (not the best) but adequate for your needs. If you were hoping to cross the channel then I’d say no. But for fishing the solent and surrounding areas, just fine. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Neil, don't take this the wrong way, but what's the difference between fishing the solent and crossing the channel? Drowned is drowned surely? Or is this a comfort thing? Reason I ask is I'm looking as well.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Neil, don't take this the wrong way, but what's the difference between fishing the solent and crossing the channel? Drowned is drowned surely? Or is this a comfort thing? Reason I ask is I'm looking as well.....

Well if you fall over board in the solent it will probably only take a few minutes to get rescued , by either a fellow boater or the coast guard. In the channel it will take a hell of a lot longer, the waves will also be bigger if there is a swell. So, no need for things like spray hoods and built in epirbs etc in the solent. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Well if you fall over board in the solent it will probably only take a few minutes to get rescued , by either a fellow boater or the coast guard. In the channel it will take a hell of a lot longer, the waves will also be bigger if there is a swell. So, no need for things like spray hoods and built in epirbs etc in the solent. 

Ok cool, so not really suitable for the wash area either then as not too much boat traffic

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 things I look for in a life jacket,  auto inflation, crotch straps and bouyancy rating. 

150N is going to be fine in good weather and normal clothing.  It won't be sufficient in rougher weather or if you layer up for the cold / wet.  I purchased my life jacket based on my worst case scenario. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

3 things I look for in a life jacket,  auto inflation, crotch straps and bouyancy rating. 

150N is going to be fine in good weather and normal clothing.  It won't be sufficient in rougher weather or if you layer up for the cold / wet.  I purchased my life jacket based on my worst case scenario. 

Yes I agree Scott, but the difference is you use your boat a lot and go far offshore. Geoff does not and will be buying his life jacket primarily for the boat meet in July. So the one he is looking at will be just fine for what he needs. And if we are having big swells in the solent we won’t be going fishing anyhow! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

3 things I look for in a life jacket,  auto inflation, crotch straps and bouyancy rating. 

150N is going to be fine in good weather and normal clothing.  It won't be sufficient in rougher weather or if you layer up for the cold / wet.  I purchased my life jacket based on my worst case scenario. 

Good advice 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yes I agree Scott, but the difference is you use your boat a lot and go far offshore. Geoff does not and will be buying his life jacket primarily for the boat meet in July. So the one he is looking at will be just fine for what he needs. And if we are having big swells in the solent we won’t be going fishing anyhow! 

Agree 150N would be fine for that.  Auto inflation & crotch straps really should be mandatory. There is a video on YouTube which I can't find of 2 guys jumping in a pool with life jackets on the one without crotch straps was near useless as it rode straight up over his head when it inflated 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

its so true.  whereing a life jacjet is necery in a small boat . but i perfer the hand inflation ruther than self inflation.

What about if you get knocked out Trevor whilst falling from your boat? Who is going to manually inflate for you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

Found it

Again, I agree. But, if the guy who's is wearing the non crotch strap jacket had tightened up his waist strap it would not have been AS bad. freeze the video at 5 seconds and see just how loose it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

well morrice ,there has been much discuhion about this in the past, 1 what if the boat capsized ect. i wouuld have to deflate to get out

If your out in conditions that would make your boat capsize then there is something wrong with your head!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

If your out in conditions that would make your boat capsize then there is something wrong with your head!

well jhon there is allways the idiot who gose to farst (big  wave ). collision ect. regarding my head  (tanks for arsking )its not that good, i ferget things as well you know

Edited by captin slows old outlaw
?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

well jhon there is allways the idiot who gose to farst (big  wave ). collision ect.

That's true, but....... if you are not paying attention and cant hear a big boat bearing down on you then............. and he would have to be f'ing close to sink you from his wash.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

3 things I look for in a life jacket,  auto inflation, crotch straps and bouyancy rating. 

150N is going to be fine in good weather and normal clothing.  It won't be sufficient in rougher weather or if you layer up for the cold / wet.  I purchased my life jacket based on my worst case scenario. 

Thanks for your comments, with which I totally agree. The Seago's referred to are auto inflation, have crotch straps and 150N min. bouyancy rating. As Neil said I am only thinking about occasional inshore/coastal use and I am definitely only a fair weather (and trailer) sailor. To be totally honest, whilst I did used to really enjoy fishing, my main interest is boats and boating generally which does of course include fishing. If the forecast is cold, wet or windy weather we shall remain on land or in the Marina. Geoff.☺️

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Geoff said:

With hopefully the launch of our boat getting close, and the rapidly approaching July meet there are still a few (too many) things that I need to buy, beg,borrow or steal. Joyce has been looking into reasonably priced life jackets and has suggested a couple of "Seago Seaguard 165N adult automatic life jackets without harness". Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome. As we are not likely to spend too much time (not enough - getting a bit old) on the sea I do not want to spend too much money, but we are looking for something fit for purpose. Thank you. Geoff.

All my crew use standard seago auto LJ’s apart from Kyle who often wears a Crewsaver.

Because I go offshore a lot on my own, I use a seago dymanic 3D which is 300N and has a lot of additional safety features, but they ain’t cheap !

Seago after sales service is excellent. My LJ is 4 Years old and I broke one of the crutch strap buckles (it has twin crutch straps).  It was probably broken  when left in the car etc. I called Seago to see if I could buy a new strap and the guy said to me that the jacket has 5 years warranty, it should never have broken, and they would send me replacement straps in the post FOC. The straps arrived the very next day, so a big thumbs up to Seago.

Edited by GPSguru
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Again, I agree. But, if the guy who's is wearing the non crotch strap jacket had tightened up his waist strap it would not have been AS bad. freeze the video at 5 seconds and see just how loose it is.

If's and but's don't help if you find yourself overboard, all I'm saying is just bare these things in mind when you make your choice, we all have different risk perceptions ultimately you have to make a decision you're comfortable with

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

If's and but's don't help if you find yourself overboard, all I'm saying is just bare these things in mind when you make your choice, we all have different risk perceptions ultimately you have to make a decision you're comfortable with

Yes absolutely. I’d always have a LJ with a strap. My point was that the video was probably not as balanced as it could have been. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yes absolutely. I’d always have a LJ with a strap. My point was that the video was probably not as balanced as it could have been

Think it was more to show the effect more than be an absolute comparison,  it was something that was discussed at length when I did my RNLI Sea Survival course

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...