Ahoy!

Adam

24 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

As for congers then, anywhere rocky or snaggy will hold them so try any rough ground or wrecks. In winter they cover open ground and can be found on banks in deep water.

Thanks Andy! Not much rough ground in Poole Bay I think. Some rocks here and there, one rock called Poole Patch but I've lost tones of gear there so not happy to go there again haha! 

15 minutes ago, Adam said:

Thanks Andy! Not much rough ground in Poole Bay I think. Some rocks here and there, one rock called Poole Patch but I've lost tones of gear there so not happy to go there again haha! 

If you can push out to the nearest wreck and anchor uptide of it, let your gear trot back to the wreck. Go heavy on the line (min 30lb), trace (min 150lb mono) and hook (Cox and Rawle Meathook 6/0), then strike any bites quick and wind them up before they get back into the wreck. Good luck! 👍

8 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

@Adam surely Harry rock or Durdle door is reachable for you from Poole bay. Gotta be big eels round there. 

I fish Harry's a lot, usually for bream never for conger. Can't wait for next day out haha 🤪

8 minutes ago, Adam said:

I fish Harry's a lot, usually for bream never for conger. Can't wait for next day out haha 🤪

The methods for conger are totally different from bream. Prob worth anchoring Harry's and dropping half a mackerel on a conger trace just to see what's at home 👍

32 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

The methods for conger are totally different from bream. Prob worth anchoring Harry's and dropping half a mackerel on a conger trace just to see what's at home 👍

I'm not totally newby to conger fishing. I've never cought one myself but was out with people that targeted them and even helped to land them. I have a decent rods and reels with proper line and 100lb rigs with steel traces. The thing is that I wasn't interested in targeting this kind of species before but now its my goal and it MUST be just me and my boat - not mates etc... Hope you are getting what I mean 😂 Anchoring Harry's would be tricky, its close to the main ship road to Swanage, Weymouth, Portland so it's always busy as hell.

Edited by Adam

7 minutes ago, Adam said:

I'm not totally newby to conger fishing. I've never cought one myself but was out with people that targeted them and even helped to land them. I have a decent rods and reels with proper line and 100lb rigs with steel traces. The thing is that I wasn't interested in targeting this kind of species before but now its my goal and it MUST be just me and my boat - not mates etc... Hope you are getting what I mean 😂 Anchoring Harry's would be tricky, its close to the main ship road to Swanage, Weymouth, Portland so it's always busy as hell.

So why not steam over to the needles area? You will get nice conger over there.