Garmin v Lowrance

Hi

Spent yesterday sanding the hull at a marina with a force 4 chandler's that had a display of chart plotters and fish finders.

Being weak willed magpies we spent a while looking at them and speaking to the guys there. He recommended the Lowrance Hook Reveal 7 with triple shot transducer. £449.99 plus the maps or a Garmin one that I can't remember the model of.

What would you guys recommend for a combined plotter/fish finder, about 7 inch screen and about £5 - 600? 

This is a bit like the petrol vs diesel debate; everyone has their own point of view and there isn't really a right or wrong answer.

Personally I'm a Lowrance user, and I've had their kit on each of my boats. I like their user interface, which I find very intuitive to use out of the box. I also like their side scanning transducers and the detailed images they can produce. Lastly I like their wide range of peripheral kit e.g. their Point 1 electronic compass and GPS module, or their VHF's. There's an inherent advantage in using nav and comms kit from the same supplier as it all integrates and works seamlessly together.

Garmin and other manufacturers will do the same, so it may be helpful to consider what other kit you might want later down the line and make a decision based on the full range of kit available, with one eye on later integration with other products from that range.

The Hook Reveal is a decent bit of kit for the money. Can't remember if it is a standalone unit or whether it has network ports or wifi connectivity. These will be helpful if/when you decide to connect your plotter to a VHF, or a second plotter for example, so worth checking before you buy.

4 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

Any pointers to what is available for them both? I have a standard horizon vhf that has NMEA connection but don't know what the two could share?

Connect your VHF to your plotter for GPS info so that your VHF can send DSC alerts if it's DSC capable.

28 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I have a full Garmin setup. 

2x 8410 mfd

ais

4k xhd radar. 
It’s  all amazing at helping me blank!! 

I was really impressed by the way we could watch those fish go swimming passed us in total safety.

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

I have a full Garmin setup. 

2x 8410 mfd

ais

4k xhd radar. 
It’s  all amazing at helping me blank!! 

Killed my simrad evo 3 and cracked the glass on the 8410 on the run home in the rough stuff yesterday, don't make them tough enough!!!!!

Edited by JDP

The vhf has built in gps  so I don't think there is any advantage to linking them.

Went and put some primer on the boat today and force 4 was open so went and had another look, ordered the Lowrance Hook Reveal 7 with triple shot transducer.

Haven't got a map card yet but thinking the navionics hole of uk one for £229 is the one to get unless someone thinks otherwise?

27 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

Haven't got a map card yet but thinking the navionics hole of uk one for £229 is the one to get unless someone thinks otherwise?

Only if you’re planning on fishing the whole of the UK?? If not, just get one that includes your area. When I got mine it covered the south of England and the channel isles. More than I’ll ever need!  

Hows the transom rebuild coming along? I guess your done if your AF’ing the boat!! 

25 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

The vhf has built in gps  so I don't think there is any advantage to linking them.

Went and put some primer on the boat today and force 4 was open so went and had another look, ordered the Lowrance Hook Reveal 7 with triple shot transducer.

Just looked them up and the Hook series doesn't have any networking capability so I guess connecting to a VHF is moot.

As for a chart card, I use Navionics for navigation and CMap Reveal for sea floor cartography. Either would be fine to get you up & running.

11 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Only if you’re planning on fishing the whole of the UK?? If not, just get one that includes your area. When I got mine it covered the south of England and the channel isles. More than I’ll ever need!  

Hows the transom rebuild coming along? I guess your done if your AF’ing the boat!! 

Yes, transom is all done. Really happy with how it turned out.

We got the hull sanded and primed this weekend and hopefully will get a top coat on one evening in the week. Once it's painted just need to refit the engine and take it for a service and fit the new lowrance and glue glue floor down and we are ready

13 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Just looked them up and the Hook series doesn't have any networking capability so I guess connecting to a VHF is moot.

As for a chart card, I use Navionics for navigation and CMap Reveal for sea floor cartography. Either would be fine to get you up & running.

As for the charts, the small map seems to stop just east of the IoW which means if we launch at Chichester we can't go east. The whole of the south coast is only £20 less than the whole of the Uk

Just now, LostPiker said:

As for the charts, the small map seems to stop just east of the IoW which means if we launch at Chichester we can't go east. The whole of the south coast is only £20 less than the whole of the Uk

Well, you do trailer. So I suppose £20 extra makes sense, just incase you fancy a trip to black water where @JonC is king!

25 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

I have the whole of UK. Not needed to use it for outside of my home patch yet but as I have insurance cover to the Bay of Biscay I will use the maps at some point to do a Channel Islands crossing. For the price you may as well get the full UK version.

I’m a Lowrance fan (Simrad) 

Tbh, Garmin vs Lowrance comes down to what feels comfortable. My main worry is reliable charts, AIS and Radar as my fishing is bit different. Structure scan etc is not needed for me as I don’t drift fish. I can pick up features on a normal sounder to uptide on or check depth is deep enough for sharks…. 

As for charts, Navionics is great, whole of U.K. is helpful as you may want to travel and it’s useful when you upgrade your boat (it’ll happen 😉 )

On 8/24/2021 at 4:19 PM, Odyssey said:

I’m a Lowrance fan (Simrad) 

Tbh, Garmin vs Lowrance comes down to what feels comfortable. My main worry is reliable charts, AIS and Radar as my fishing is bit different. Structure scan etc is not needed for me as I don’t drift fish. I can pick up features on a normal sounder to uptide on or check depth is deep enough for sharks…. 

As for charts, Navionics is great, whole of U.K. is helpful as you may want to travel and it’s useful when you upgrade your boat (it’ll happen 😉 )

re boat upgrade - spending time in a marina is very bad for my future bank balance... we have already started discussing our next boat and we haven't even lauched this one yet. 

Arvor 230 type boat is current favorite although this one is for sale by the marina entrance, just about £50k short at the moment

2018-ocqueteau-ostrea-800-for-sale-66012 

41 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

re boat upgrade - spending time in a marina is very bad for my future bank balance... we have already started discussing our next boat and we haven't even lauched this one yet. 

Yep, that's the one thing no-one tells you before you get into boats... there's always a reason to upgrade 🤣

4 hours ago, LostPiker said:

Arvor 230 type boat is current favorite although this one is for sale by the marina entrance, just about £50k short at the moment

2018-ocqueteau-ostrea-800-for-sale-66012 

Those Oqueteau boats are nice. They have a very good if not niche name. More popular on the continent than here but for what reason I don’t know. 
ive drooled loads over the large 975!!