Project 15ft Boat

suzook12

Ok, bought this a couple of months ago with intention of stripping for parts and selling off what I didn't need, namely everything except the engine......

Move forward a bit, and thinking this has enough wrong with it to be a good project base to learn more about laminating, or rather, turn theory into practice......

boat2

The boat......

So, what is wrong with it? Well, floor is a bit spongy and the transom is clad in steel........

Now, having a couple of new toys to try out, a start was made this evening.

Boat Floor

So thats the spongy floor explained, whoever put this floor down didn't do enough to key the new glass in to the hull and started ripping out in lumps. The wood is sodden and mostly rotten and delaminated........ Guess we know what the transom is gonna look like.....

Good luck with that Steve. No real surprises there. No probs to a man of your calibre. Let me know if I can be of any help with material supply etc. do you intend to replace the whole floor area? I would think Nidaplast would be better than plywood if you do. Geoff.☺️

Thank you all. To be fair, as stated, this was bought to strip, and I would be Just slightly in profit going down that road. So if this ends up as a planter then its no real loss, but it's a good excuse to put into practice what I've learnt about laminating. And the boy too, he will be getting his hands dirty on this!!

Geoff, I did watch a video of a knowledgeable person saying small boats need the ply decks as they need the ballast, which kind of makes sense....... We'll see. I will work out what I need and put a shopping list together. Yes the whole floor area will need to be done. Looks like it was done with 6 or 8mm ply so it was on to a loser from the off.

I did notice the bearers were in poor shape too, and very dry laminate wise, can poke holes in with my finger in places. There is nothing in the way of former either, just grp, with some very tight corners to boot.

Onwards and upwards

Oh yeah, the toys to try out..... One was a Ryobi multi cutter thing which worked very well, and keeps the dust down considerably, although they are a bit slow.... The other is a matching recip saw, this will come into its own shortly as well I fancy.........

Got a bit further with it this evening. I have come to the conclusion that whoever laid the last floor, was in fact a plasterer. It seems that the top layers were stripped back then the boards were dot and dabbed on top!! Majority of the wood is now out, should have it all somewhere near stripped tomorrow if nothing else gets in the way......

floor.jpg.29b54f8642d3ab12e213b8aab8c0b42a.jpg

There was one patch of half decent ply and that was at top right in the pic. It feels like the bearers etc under this floor skin are also shot until about a foot in front of the door. Am toying with putting this on a Pod as well, free up some more floor space. Wont be long before this needs to be off the trailer and some bracing putting in....

3 hours ago, Geoff said:

A bit dusty - yes, but nothing cuts FG like a diamond blade in small angle grinder. We call it "the zapper". We also use a reciprocating air saw for tight corners etc. Geoff. 

Had success with slitting disc in a 5" grinder today, one disc and that weren't new! Had thought about using the 9" but decided better of it, would prob go straight through the bottom!! 🤣

Steve, the diamond discs  are far better, much quicker and last many times longer than normal cutting discs. The 100/120mm machines are miles better and more controllable than the 9". Geoff.☺️

4"?? Can you still get them?? Lol.... I have a box of slitting discs, and they are doing fine at the moment. Maybe get some diamond discs when next shopping......

115mm and 125mm are where its at these days

Yeah, thats why I didn't use the 9" in the finish, had visions of seeing daylight through the cuts .....

Todays update......

Today we got the fibre glass floor panel out and started trimming the tab back to the sides ready for grinding.......

IMG_1575

IMG_1584

Just when you think things couldn'y have been any worse, you get that dawning realisation.......

None of the bearers are bonded to the hull!!, they are so flimsy it's ridiculous, and to add to that, the floor was about and inch above the supports!!! And the amount of GRP that was bone dry of resin............

IMG_1597IMG_1588

IMG_1581

To be honest, I'm kinda glad I never moved this on, just not fit for purpose, the hull basically had no bracing from the back forwards. Despite it havong been indoors for several weeks now, still finding little pockets of water, so along with everything else, not only does it leak, but doesn't drain either.....

Should be a big enough project I think

Hi Steve, thanks for posting. I always thought that Shetland had a pretty good reputation for build quality, but it just goes to show what hidden problems can show up. It is a good job that some of these floors do get spongy. I look forward to seeing your rebuild, Geoff.

3 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Hi Steve, thanks for posting. I always thought that Shetland had a pretty good reputation for build quality, but it just goes to show what hidden problems can show up. It is a good job that some of these floors do get spongy. I look forward to seeing your rebuild, Geoff.

Not the Shetland mate, this is the Trident or whatever it was called...... Shetlands gonna be a doddle after this.....

1 minute ago, suzook12 said:

Not the Shetland mate, this is the Trident or whatever it was called...... Shetlands gonna be a doddle after this.....

Sorry Steve, I thought your project boats were all Shetlands. My bad. Geoff.☺️

Haven't done anything to boat today other than have a good look and think about how I'm going to do the bearers, and tie it all in to the transom, which if you look, also hasn't been done..... Think I might make ply formers and glass over the top, this could change at any time tho......

Its really amazing how quickly a hull can absorb water into products such as marine ply which you would thing with the name marine ply they would hold up longer. I had a similar boat which I bought from a guy in Southampton. The boat boat had been kept on a trailer until I purchased it, with the boat being just under 5 years old. It was kept by me both on a mooring or pulled onto a beach at Fort Vic IOW if I wasn't going to use it for a week or so, which also meant not having to use antifouling.

A particularly rough day crossing the bridge at the Needles almost sunk it with one wave. The wave took out the windows and split the transom down both corners. After managing to get the boat back and out of the water I was amazed to find the transom rotten and the foam under the floor black and sodden with stinking mould and water. Not quite the long term investment I had hoped after owning it just 5 months!!!

Ive seen a fair few more of these waterlogged on forums over the years, hopefully you can make it more watertight than the manufactures have. Out of interest when you say there's a metal plate at the stern, I assume this is on the outside ? Can you see if the lower engine bolts had pulled in from the other side. They usually pull in a little if the ply is soft. 

2 hours ago, JDP said:

Its really amazing how quickly a hull can absorb water into products such as marine ply which you would thing with the name marine ply they would hold up longer. I had a similar boat which I bought from a guy in Southampton. The boat boat had been kept on a trailer until I purchased it, with the boat being just under 5 years old. It was kept by me both on a mooring or pulled onto a beach at Fort Vic IOW if I wasn't going to use it for a week or so, which also meant not having to use antifouling.

A particularly rough day crossing the bridge at the Needles almost sunk it with one wave. The wave took out the windows and split the transom down both corners. After managing to get the boat back and out of the water I was amazed to find the transom rotten and the foam under the floor black and sodden with stinking mould and water. Not quite the long term investment I had hoped after owning it just 5 months!!!

Ive seen a fair few more of these waterlogged on forums over the years, hopefully you can make it more watertight than the manufactures have. Out of interest when you say there's a metal plate at the stern, I assume this is on the outside ? Can you see if the lower engine bolts had pulled in from the other side. They usually pull in a little if the ply is soft. 

Sounds like you could have done with an article on boat buying advice when you were younger and a newbie to this game. Glad to hear you got the boat back ok, it’s no picnic round by the needles when the weathers not kind. 

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Sounds like you could have done with an article on boat buying advice when you were younger and a newbie to this game. Glad to hear you got the boat back ok, it’s no picnic round by the needles when the weathers not kind. 

I was 17 at the time, having said that I still tend to go by peoples word and trust them which regularly backfires on me. If people are liars and cheats then that's something they have to live with, not me.