First Trip is Dangerously Close

Having bought a boat in October last year, lock downs, lots of paint, wiring, faulty carbs and a rotten transom we are finally one step away from actually being ready to use it for the first time. 

I have done my PB2 course, the boat is all ready bar the engine service booked in for Monday, the rods are ready, my reels have new line on them so barring the mechanic finding something wrong with the engine our first trip is scheduled for 18th September. Location is still unknown as 2 of the slipways recommended are closed then, the third I still need to look into.

What advice do you have for a first timer? Any recommendations for marks in the solent to try? What species will be about? Not really bothered what we catch, as long as we catch. Ideally a fish or two for the table but just some sport would be a good start

22 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

Having bought a boat in October last year, lock downs, lots of paint, wiring, faulty carbs and a rotten transom we are finally one step away from actually being ready to use it for the first time. 

I have done my PB2 course, the boat is all ready bar the engine service booked in for Monday, the rods are ready, my reels have new line on them so barring the mechanic finding something wrong with the engine our first trip is scheduled for 18th September. Location is still unknown as 2 of the slipways recommended are closed then, the third I still need to look into.

What advice do you have for a first timer? Any recommendations for marks in the solent to try? What species will be about? Not really bothered what we catch, as long as we catch. Ideally a fish or two for the table but just some sport would be a good start

Depending on where you are launching from, browndown beach or east bramble bouy are good first time marks. Watch for strong SW winds. Aim for a N wind if possible. Or SW under 10mph. 
good luck! 

First bit of advice is that you will have jiggles but don’t let that ruin your day. 

Ive done loads of trips on my boat abd still fiddling/fettling it to my needs. Main thing is to smile 🙂 

good luck, know you limits, know what the weather is forcast to do, remember swell isnt always the same strength or direction as the current wind, dont push too hard or too far - a short trip mackereling on the drift would be a good place to start - or stick to an estuary and mooring. 

i've found that I simply wont anchor alone, only with able crew as its when things are likely to not go to plan. 

and remember - always better to be on land wishing you were at sea than at sea wishing you were on land.

oh and dont forget the bait! 🙂

good luck and have fun!

2 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Don't bother with fishing on the first time out, just get used to operating the boat and concentrating on what you are doing.

This is a good plan. My first ever trip out on my own boat was more of a launch practice with a little spin up and down the estuary. I didn't even take any rods or tackle - it was just to get familiar with launching, berthing and how the boat handles.

I hope it goes smoothly. All the usual silly phrases work, like ‘slow is pro’ and ‘don’t act like a fucking idiot’ 

I remember the first run out of the marina on my boat with my boy giving me valuations of other boats and repair cost estimates🤣

9 hours ago, mike farrants said:

i've found that I simply wont anchor alone,

That is something you should really learn to do, Mike.

If the shit hits the fan and something is going badly wrong with either the engine or steerage, then dropping the pin can give you valuable time so sort out the issue, or call for assistance.

13 hours ago, GPSguru said:

That is something you should really learn to do, Mike.

If the shit hits the fan and something is going badly wrong with either the engine or steerage, then dropping the pin can give you valuable time so sort out the issue, or call for assistance.

oh im happy to drop anchor alone - i meant retrieving it (alderney ring method) - is much easier with 2 people. 

2 hours ago, mike farrants said:

oh im happy to drop anchor alone - i meant retrieving it (alderney ring method) - is much easier with 2 people. 

With practise you will find its easier single handed Mike. There is no need to relay instructions to others who may not compute them as you meant them. Maybe its just me, but I prefer to do it all myself. Its a bit different with a windlass as its best to have somebody on the throttle to take the strain off the windlass by easing the boat forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Boat outboard has a clean bill of health from Barry at Winsor marine. Great guy, has lent us a fuel tank as our was full of watery shite. Bags are packed, rods ready and boat packed for trip Saturday. Going to launch at Calshot slip and fish for anything we can catch. Got feathers, frozen squid, frozen mackrel from a charter trip a month ago and frozen mackrel left over from last year's pike fishing plus a couple of wraps of frozen black lug from about 6 months ago. 

Good work Adam. Sounds like you're all set. I've used Barry in the past. Decent bloke.

Bet you're chomping at the bit to get out there tomorrow. Tenner says you're too excited to sleep tonight!

Good luck and stay safe. Let us know how you get on, even if it's a blank 👍

36 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

Yes, few minor issues but successful overall.

The transducer was far to high on the transom. Barely in the water so took it off and taped it to the boat hook and taped that to a rail. Better than nothing but only just. Engine wouldn't fully select reverse, messaged Barry at Winsor marine and he called me straight away and told me how to adjust it, was fine after that.

Just the 2 fish to the boat which considering our spot choice was random I was happy enough with. I had a red gurnard and my mate had a big bass.

Used more fuel than expected and didn't check it properly so had to nurse it back to make sure we didn't run out and get stranded. Lesson learnt for next time.

Boat hit 24 knots flat out which I was happy with, probably got more in it if I fiddled with the engine trim but didn't this time.

Launched without an issue although maneuvering to the pontoon without reverse was a bit tricky. Recovery was fine but we got the boat out and then realised it wasn't right on the trailer do had to take it back in the water and re-do it, also one of the rollers fell off so need a new circlip needed.

On the plus side, we didn't come home in a life boat, the engine worked and we had fun. 

Next time we'll concentrate more on the fishing so any marks around solent would be great, promise to keep then secret 😉 

Excellent, for your fuel use the thirds rule, a third to get there, a third to get back, and a third in reserve. As an example,  if the sea changes you use more fuel in a wind over tide chop.

Edited by GPSguru

Good to hear of a successful first outing! Well done. Glad you got the reverse issue sorted out. It's usual for roller circlips to be doubled up - they often rust out quickly so having two gives a margin of safety.

Got any catch pics (for Jon of course 😉)?

Just now, GPSguru said:

Excellent, for you fuel use the thirds rule, a third to get there, a third to get back, and a third in reserve. As an example,  if the sea changes you use more fuel in a wind over tide chop.

That was my thinking, in the excitement of the day I didn't check it properly. I glanced at the gauge on the tank and read the half marker as the level. Very silly but a good lesson for the future. Could have been an embarrassing call to the coast guard at best if we didn't have the reserve can

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Glad you had fun and caught fish! 
How did the new anchor set up work out for you?

Got some work to do before I get it right. 

First time I put the buoy on after the triangle thing so the alderney ring couldn't work🤭

Next time the tide had gone out and only had 1m of water so not enough to lift the chain off the bottom.

Something else to master for next time