Not stinky, not shingle and not a pier...

Saintly Fish

25 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Nice fish! Well done. Who knew they would take bread? Were you after a mullet?

@Davemc will like that pic.

Top marks Neil 👍

Yes ive been after mullet again. The suckers are just annoying me. But ive had bread in their mouths, they just spit the hooks out though 😡

2 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Size 8's

I'd be tempted to try coarse hooks. 12 to 14. I was chatting to a coarse angler who was on holiday in Cornwall last time we were down and he was catching them in the Fowey Estuary on a cage feeder stuffed with bread paste and a single bread flake on a hair rigged size 12.

13 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I'd be tempted to try coarse hooks. 12 to 14. I was chatting to a coarse angler who was on holiday in Cornwall last time we were down and he was catching them in the Fowey Estuary on a cage feeder stuffed with bread paste and a single bread flake on a hair rigged size 12.

Dont think id be able to thread the eye of a 12 😵💫

Neil, they have a nasty habit of doing that, sometimes helps to scale the flake size down to encourage them to take it in one go. 

I took 3 mullet in the marina last weekend from my boat with them p*ssing around with the bait,  constant fettling with size and presentation got them to take in the end. 

Don't go too light with the hook size, I use 10's.  Lots of people swear by Kamasan B983,  I can't stand them and would advise anyone mulleting to steer clear of them.  I have had fish bend them out, there was a very lengthy discussion about them in the mullet club, with nearly everyone experiencing a bend out with them and very strangely some people continuing to use them. 

Andy,  Bass are a very very common bycatch on bread, my biggest Bass was a 5.7lber caught on a surface flake in the margins.  They are normally a proper pest if you fish with bread down in the water with bread mash going in.  Mullet won't compete with them so you end up with Bass after Bass if they move in. I hate the feckers 😁

Bass and Swans public enemy no 1 for mulletting. 

what rigs are people using for mullet? - I know they are difficult to catch, but its the perfect pastime while chilling on the boat in the marina on windy days - there's tons of bigguns sat under my boat all day - ive tried free lining bread, and also tried a bubble float - i see others using freshwater stick floats? any tips?

other than a spear?

2 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

what rigs are people using for mullet? - I know they are difficult to catch, but its the perfect pastime while chilling on the boat in the marina on windy days - there's tons of bigguns sat under my boat all day - ive tried free lining bread, and also tried a bubble float - i see others using freshwater stick floats? any tips?

other than a spear?

Free lining is the way ive been not catching them. It seems to work well. 

2 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

other than a spear?

@Scotch_Egg2012 is our resident Mullet Master and may be able to help Mike.

2 hours ago, mike farrants said:

other than a spear?

Mike,  do you want to fish on the bottom or up in the water for them? 

Edited by Scotch_Egg2012

Whatever you feel most comfortable with,  you can leger for them and try to draw them down with groundbait, in that case a simple running leger will work I stick a float stop about 3 inches up so the fish can only run so far before it picks the weight up.  Stick with around a 6 inch snood. I always use fluorocarbon in 4-6lb depending if it's snaggy.  I like to fish a popped up crust on the leger and it often results in a slam over bite.  The crucial part is groundbait, make up a firm bread mash and mould it round the lead,  method feeders work but I have lost a few good fish due to them snagging in weed. Keep the groundbait going in about a satsuma sized ball every 5 mins on top of what you are moulding around the lead. Your aim is to build a visual patch that the mullet will investigate with your crust wafting over the top, they don't usually mess about with a pop up but hit it on the move and wolf it down.  Be near your rod. 

My personal favourite is the float, again keep it very simple.  I like the drennan loaded wagglers or puddle chucker (although the puddle chucker are fragile if you hit a pontoon) mainline down to a tiny swivel I use float stops to set my depth, after the swivel 10-12 inches of 4-6lb flouro again depending on structure. You can tackle them in a variety of ways,  you can set the float very deep but gently pinch the flake on so it floats on the surface away from the float or pinch the air out and set it as a slow sinking bait to whatever depth you want. Groundbait again is crucial, if on the surface just bits of bread thrown out, if fishing down then a loose mash that creates a nice cloud works well,  keep the bait going in with the mash about a walnut size every 20 or so seconds, surface flakes less often depending what else is hammering it (swans, Bass, gulls etc) if any tide and you are fishing around boats quite often drifting the float to a boat and letting the float stay on the Hull whilst the bait wafts underneath quite often results in a take. 

Set your drag before casting out. 

Sorry its a bit of an essay, there is much more to it than I am able to write here but this is a good start. 

Watch how they are hitting your ground bait,  I had a video which I can't upload of a shoal I was feeding in port solent,  I just threw some bits of a bread roll in and watched, first impression looked like they were nailing the surface flakes but the video shows they were not actually eating them,  they were trying to sink them, it wasn't easy to spot but in that situation if I was getting loads of hits on the top with no firm takes I change to a shallow slow sinker, what they do is try and sink the flakes then circle round and mop up the ones sinking down, crafty buggers

Anyone wants to do a trip for them give me a shout more than happy to show a few tips and tricks

Edited by Scotch_Egg2012

22 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

Anyone wants to do a trip for them give me a shout more than happy to show a few tips and tricks

I'd definitely be keen for a mullet masterclass Scott. Sounds like a great way to learn a new sea fishing discipline.

51 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I'd definitely be keen for a mullet masterclass Scott. Sounds like a great way to learn a new sea fishing discipline.

@Andy135 @Saintly Fish let me know when you guys are free and we can organise something, September is a good month round here, if it stays mild October can produce but numbers start tailling off noticably. 

3 hours ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

I like the drennan loaded wagglers or puddle chucker (although the puddle chucker are fragile if you hit a pontoon) mainline down to a tiny swivel I use float stops to set my depth, after the swivel 10-12 inches of 4-6lb flouro again depending on structure. You can tackle them in a variety of ways,  you can set the float very deep but gently pinch the flake on so it floats on the surface away from the float or pinch the air out and set it as a slow sinking bait to whatever depth you want.

Agree, a loaded waggler, anything from a couple of BB to a couple of AAA. Use a hook trace of about 6lb mono to a 14 hook. If the bites are shy, and you want a more natural bait presentation, then use 4lb - 6lb braid in a moss green colour as a supple hook length

awesome tips thanks guys!

will order some wagglers - i have bubble floats on board, and even thought about a cork for that natural look, 

might try again one evening. 

any particular time of day or state of tide in a marina? they seem more active at low water in the shallows - but not sure if that's because i can see them better!