Left handed multi's

Who reels with their left hand ?

I've always reeled multipliers right handed (fixed spools left) but not having full strength in my left hand, I can't hold/pump the rod and reel with my right hand anymore

Though I hope it will return at some point

I've just bought a Fladen 665 left hand multi to use tommorow, but this was only a cheapie (£60) and if I stay left handed, I'll be looking to replace all my current reels

So what decent left handed reels are around, don't really want level winds

What do the cacky handed among us use/recommend

3 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Who reels with their left hand ?

I've always reeled multipliers right handed (fixed spools left) but not having full strength in my left hand, I can't hold/pump the rod and reel with my right hand anymore

Though I hope it will return at some point

I've just bought a Fladen 665 left hand multi to use tommorow, but this was only a cheapie (£60) and if I stay left handed, I'll be looking to replace all my current reels

So what decent left handed reels are around, don't really want level winds

What do the cacky handed among us use/recommend

Penn squalls are ok quality or the fathoms. I use these left handed, but they do have level wind. They have never caused me an issue and they are robust for the money. 

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

Penn squalls are ok quality or the fathoms. I use these left handed, but they do have level wind. They have never caused me an issue and they are robust for the money. 

I have a squall 30 and a fathom 12 and 15 atm, without levelwind, would get them in left if nothing else suits

Prefer the quicker retrieve without levelwind, makes no difference when bringing a fish in, but does when winding back in from 250 ft water to repeat the drift

Welcome to the leftie club. I have a couple of Penns and three Avets all in left hand wind. As Neil says, the Penn Fathom is good quality and worth a look, as are any of the Avets - none of these come with levelwind, which may be no bad thing for you.

Or you could try a 5000 size FS reel, something like a Shimano Saragosa, which would do up and downtiding just fine.

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Welcome to the leftie club. I have a couple of Penns and three Avets all in left hand wind. As Neil says, the Penn Fathom is good quality and worth a look, as are any of the Avets - none of these come with levelwind, which may be no bad thing for you.

Or you could try a 5000 size FS reel, something like a Shimano Saragosa, which would do up and downtiding just fine.

Yeah, I may have to sell my Penns and replace them like for like but left handed

I've not long bought a 4500 sized fixed spool and rod for Bream, not really a fan of fixed spools for up or down tiding, although I suspect they have come a long way since I last used one uptiding in the BC (early 90's)

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

What size Avets have you got, do you recommend them ?

36 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

How about one of these then?

https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Penn-Fathom---FTH15LD2-4546.html

or an abu 7000 lh

I have the exact same one, also a 12 and a Squall 30

I may just replace them 

Not sure about the new Abu's, I have a few older Swedish ones that have been great, but I bought a new Chinese Seven a few yrs ago and it's build quality is shite fair play

I don't know what the dearer Abu's are like

6 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

I have the exact same one, also a 12 and a Squall 30

I may just replace them 

Not sure about the new Abu's, I have a few older Swedish ones that have been great, but I bought a new Chinese Seven a few yrs ago and it's build quality is shite fair play

I don't know what the dearer Abu's are like

Ive got a LH abu original, ive not used it yet, it has a level wind though so not sure thatd interest you?

58 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

What size Avets have you got, do you recommend them ?

I have an SX and an MX for downtiding and and SXJ for slow jigging. I also have an EXW/30 2 speed for bigger stuff but that's in RH.

They are my reel of choice and after using them, other reels just feel cheap. Yes, you'll hear people say their bearings get crushed but that's only due to users winding up the pre-load without slacking off the drag first... something that every lever drag is susceptible to.

Bottom line is that if Luke can wind in a blue shark on an Avet on a 6-12lb rod, they must be good enough for rays and cod in the BC.

6 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I have an SX and an MX for downtiding and and SXJ for slow jigging. I also have an EXW/30 2 speed for bigger stuff but that's in RH.

They are my reel of choice and after using them, other reels just feel cheap. Yes, you'll hear people say their bearings get crushed but that's only due to users winding up the pre-load without slacking off the drag first... something that every lever drag is susceptible to.

Bottom line is that if Luke can wind in a blue shark on an Avet on a 6-12lb rod, they must be good enough for rays and cod in the BC.

Or dog fish 👍🏻

Over here most people use both multi and spin with the handle on the right unless they are left handed, where they will then have them both on the left.

Being a pom and brought up with multi on the right (being right handed) and my spin reels on the left I decided to recently buy a left handed multi as I find my rod twitching action is better and easier with the rod in my right hand after a lifetime of twitching spin outfits in the right hand. It came quite naturally being able to use the multi on the left even though Im right handed, in fact it seems far more natural than using a spin reel to wind on the right!!!

Big game drag, pull and fight I find a big multi (Tiagra'a etc) easy with rod in the left cranking with the right. Micro jigging finesse work, rod in right crank on the left.

Edited by JDP

4 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Left handed multi's, I can understand why you need one @jonnyswamp 👍

But FFS, @Andy135 AND @Saintly Fish are wrong'un's 🙄 🤣

I fully understand Andy’s reason, he explained before that he couldn’t coordinate his hands enough to hold the rod with one hand and wind with the other. He kept dropping the rods and throwing them in when casting. 

3 hours ago, JonC said:

I fully understand Andy’s reason, he explained before that he couldn’t coordinate his hands enough to hold the rod with one hand and wind with the other. He kept dropping the rods and throwing them in when casting. 

Don't confuse me with Neil - he's the one with form for throwing rods overboard or breaking them. He's done in two rods this season alone.

Hi @jonnyswamp

Ive got Avet SXs for uptide and downtide fishing. 40lb braid for uptiding is fine. 

They do left hand versions too, Not cheap about £170-180 on Facebook from Steve Hatton. I use LX on the blues no issues for blues and porgies.

Nice reels well built, hopefully will last 🙂 

Drag is excellent on them and I think will land most things up our end of the channel and work well out on the reefs/tope fishing out west 

Just got back from a day's inshore out of Weymouth

Absolutely fine with the spinning gear Breaming (left hand wind fixed spool)

Not so good with a left hand wind multi when Bassing or drifting the banks for flatties

No problem when playing a fish in as it's a relatively slow process, just goes a bit Pete Tong when trying to speed wind 150 yds of line back in to reset the drift

( a bit like my first girlfriend doing me a favour, if you catch my drift, no rythm or finesse 🦾

Thanks for the offer of the Abu @Saintly Fish, but I'm going to hold off on replacing my right hand reels with left for the minute and hope I get some sort of strength back in my left hand, or persevere with the cheapie Fladen until I get it sussed 

15 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Just got back from a day's inshore out of Weymouth

Absolutely fine with the spinning gear Breaming (left hand wind fixed spool)

Not so good with a left hand wind multi when Bassing or drifting the banks for flatties

No problem when playing a fish in as it's a relatively slow process, just goes a bit Pete Tong when trying to speed wind 150 yds of line back in to reset the drift

( a bit like my first girlfriend doing me a favour, if you catch my drift, no rythm or finesse 🦾

Thanks for the offer of the Abu @Saintly Fish, but I'm going to hold off on replacing my right hand reels with left for the minute and hope I get some sort of strength back in my left hand, or persevere with the cheapie Fladen until I get it sussed 

Using a mangle with the left hand and a multi with the right hand is just sooooo natural, even for a left handed tw@t like me !

left handed multi’s are for wrong’un’s 🙄😉🤣

3 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Using a mangle with the left hand and a multi with the right hand is just sooooo natural, even for a left handed tw@t like me !

left handed multi’s are for wrong’un’s 🙄😉🤣

When I used to beach fish I could happily cast reel up with the right hand controlling the spool or with the reel low with the left hand if I was after distance. I really can’t see what the big deal is .