Full Marinas….

Odyssey

Just off the phone from various marinas in Cardiff…

- CBYC full with waiting list 

- Cardiff Marina full, waiting list or fine is you’re under 8m

- Small Marina up river, got room but due to high demand charging extra 

- Penarth Marina will move a few boats around to squeeze me in 

- Neyland full

- Milford Haven full 

- Portishead has room

- Watchet nearly full

- Burry port loads of room but you get 45 mins either side of high tide to get In or out….

Whats it like on the south coast? Just wondering what is driving demand at the moment? 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Last shark trip tomorrow. Time to get back on the cod and commence operation Odyssey Refit…. (Further posts to be added…. Basically deep clean of interior, improve sleeping, heating, new lighting, new sounds, polish, new spots, nav lights, bilge pumps, rod holders, fridge maybe even redo some upholstery…..) 

16 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Whats it like on the south coast? Just wondering what is driving demand at the moment? 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Can't say for certain as I've not been in the market for a berth since I got Jersey Girl, but I'd guess that more people having bought boats over lockdown means more demand for berthing everywhere.

That said, there are a fair few dry-stack racks empty at our marina - some will get occupied by owners who have a pontoon berth during the summer then use dry stack over winter, but there were some free throughout the winter last year.

Do you have any dry-stacks near you that you could consider instead of a pontoon berth?

19 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Can't say for certain as I've not been in the market for a berth since I got Jersey Girl, but I'd guess that more people having bought boats over lockdown means more demand for berthing everywhere.

That said, there are a fair few dry-stack racks empty at our marina - some will get occupied by owners who have a pontoon berth during the summer then use dry stack over winter, but there were some free throughout the winter last year.

Do you have any dry-stacks near you that you could consider instead of a pontoon berth?

Boat is too big for the dry stack and there isn’t enough cost save to justify it…. 

Having a berth is great to pop down, top up fuel, work on tarting up the interior etc 

14 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Good lad !! 

No curtains! Jusr maybe recover the seats as looking worn and fit a memory foam matteress in the bow bunk as I’m getting older and it’s not the most comfortable…

Candy stripe won’t suit me either 😉 

3 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Boat is too big for the dry stack and there isn’t enough cost save to justify it…. 

Having a berth is great to pop down, top up fuel, work on tarting up the interior etc 

How big is too big though? The forklifts can lift up to 10 tonnes, and there are some big ol' tubs in our dry-stack. In the the pic below, the blue hulled boat in the top left is a Sunseeker Portofino 31. Not sure what the white hulled boat is but it's equally sizeable.

Uu9v7MU.jpg

And as for popping down to the boat, if yours is on a ground rack like those above then you can just rock up and climb aboard. If it's at height, just call them and ask them to put her on a service rack for a few hours.

#dontdismissdrystack

3 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

How big is too big though? The forklifts can lift up to 10 tonnes, and there are some big ol' tubs in our dry-stack. In the the pic below, the blue hulled boat in the top left is a Sunseeker Portofino 31. Not sure what the white hulled boat is but it's equally sizeable.

Uu9v7MU.jpg

And as for popping down to the boat, if yours is on a ground rack like those above then you can just rock up and climb aboard. If it's at height, just call them and ask them to put her on a service rack for a few hours.

#dontdismissdrystack

Yard is only open 8-4 Monday to Friday. No access to boats while in yard so not really ideal… a lot of my cod fishing is grab a few hours on the boat at 30 mins notice when the wind drops…. 

5 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Yard is only open 8-4 Monday to Friday. No access to boats while in yard so not really ideal… a lot of my cod fishing is grab a few hours on the boat at 30 mins notice when the wind drops…. 

Just checked…. It’s cheaper but my boat is slightly too long and once I’m full of fuel it’s too heavy so that rules that one out sadly! 

At least I got a space so I can try for some cod now. Especially as I won’t have @Andy_B poaching anymore 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

6 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

problems , problems this boating lark

finding space is a real pain for your big boats i am so glade mines on a trailer

The question we all want to know the answer to Pete is when yours will come off its trailer! 😋

55 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

i dont know ,

its the thought of all that money i am saving not being in a boat yard

I think what @Andy135 means pete, is when are you going to convert your boat from a garden ornament to a floating platform??

On 10/14/2021 at 12:45 PM, Odyssey said:

Just off the phone from various marinas in Cardiff…

- CBYC full with waiting list 

- Cardiff Marina full, waiting list or fine is you’re under 8m

- Small Marina up river, got room but due to high demand charging extra 

- Penarth Marina will move a few boats around to squeeze me in 

- Neyland full

- Milford Haven full 

- Portishead has room

- Watchet nearly full

- Burry port loads of room but you get 45 mins either side of high tide to get In or out….

Last shark trip tomorrow. Time to get back on the cod and commence operation Odyssey Refit…. (Further posts to be added…. Basically deep clean of interior, improve sleeping, heating, new lighting, new sounds, polish, new spots, nav lights, bilge pumps, rod holders, fridge maybe even redo some upholstery…..) 

My drystack licence is due in December (same marina as Andy) I got a call this week to see if was renewing and what my future intentions were.  Never had them call me before but they said unprecedented demand is forcing them to ask owners if they plan to stay. 

Sounds like high demand all round

52 minutes ago, Scotch_Egg2012 said:

My drystack licence is due in December (same marina as Andy) I got a call this week to see if was renewing and what my future intentions were.  Never had them call me before but they said unprecedented demand is forcing them to ask owners if they plan to stay. 

Sounds like high demand all round

Wow. I renewed in September and only got an email reminder so demand must have really ramped up since then.

On 10/14/2021 at 1:47 PM, Odyssey said:

Just checked…. It’s cheaper but my boat is slightly too long and once I’m full of fuel it’s too heavy so that rules that one out sadly! 

At least I got a space so I can try for some cod now. Especially as I won’t have @Andy_B poaching anymore 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Did you give up your berth in CBYC when you moved to Milford ?

If so, where have you managed to get in for the winter

2 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

Did you give up your berth in CBYC when you moved to Milford ?

If so, where have you managed to get in for the winter

I managed to blag the last spot in Penarth…. But the office rang me up on Friday, I’m going back into CBYC F21 in the gold section 🙂 

Just waiting for weather now so I can get back and get on the cod 

Just now, Odyssey said:

I managed to blag the last spot in Penarth…. But the office rang me up on Friday, I’m going back into CBYC F21 in the gold section 🙂 

Just waiting for weather now so I can get back and get on the cod 

That's a result, Penarth isn't the best to get lifted out etc

CBYC is spot on fair play, £75 per lift out/in and a couple of quid a week for the hire of the jacks/cradle

As you know, it used to be £55 each way and the jacks/supports were free. But after the use of oil drums and bits of 3 x 2 as supports were banned, the club bought a load of new jacks etc and have to get the money back somewhere

I think it's still one of the cheapest clubs in the Bay overall ?

3 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

That's a result, Penarth isn't the best to get lifted out etc

CBYC is spot on fair play, £75 per lift out/in and a couple of quid a week for the hire of the jacks/cradle

As you know, it used to be £55 each way and the jacks/supports were free. But after the use of oil drums and bits of 3 x 2 as supports were banned, the club bought a load of new jacks etc and have to get the money back somewhere

I think it's still one of the cheapest clubs in the Bay overall ?

It’s good value, if you can get a lift out… I’ve never managed before and ended up over in Penarth, was lifted with 24hrs notice unlike CBYC which was 6 weeks and still nothing…

2 hours ago, Odyssey said:

It’s good value, if you can get a lift out… I’ve never managed before and ended up over in Penarth, was lifted with 24hrs notice unlike CBYC which was 6 weeks and still nothing…

Email the yard manager, Simon and see of you can book a slot

He's always been helpful with me

And a packet of biscuits to all the yard boys can go a long way

Are you still a member of CBYC

10 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Email the yard manager, Simon and see of you can book a slot

He's always been helpful with me

And a packet of biscuits to all the yard boys can go a long way

Are you still a member of CBYC

Yep still a member, was down this morning looking at new berth 🙂 

just not been there much due to Covid but it looks like it’s changing for the better 🙂