New mini Project- Ducati Diesel

suzook12

3 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Ummm

I just changed a one piece wheel bearing on the trailer. It said use a press, but a f’off big socket and 3 good tw@ts with a 14lb sledge hammer = job done. 
I put the new bearing in the freezer for a few hours, then gently tapped it in with a 2lb hammer and a hollow brass drift.

Edited by GPSguru

2 hours ago, GPSguru said:

I just changed a one piece wheel bearing on the trailer. It said use a press, but a f’off big socket and 3 good tw@ts with a 14lb sledge hammer = job done. 
I put the new bearing in the freezer for a few hours, then gently tapped it in with a 2lb hammer and a hollow brass drift.

If in doubt clout 😉 

3 hours ago, GPSguru said:

When I do bearings I use the old race with a slice in it to evenly hit the new one into place 

39 minutes ago, JonC said:

When I do bearings I use the old race with a slice in it to evenly hit the new one into place 

So do I, but these one piece bearings have raised inner race and quite a thin bearing shell, hence the hollow brass drift. Placing the old shell on top would need to be quite accurate to avoid damage.

With this type of bearing a lot of folk freeze the bearing and then heat the drum to 200c. The bearing then just drops straight in, however, I am not a great fan of placing a -10c bearing into a 200c housing !

freezing the bearing and then fitting to the drum at room temp makes it a very easy fit.

At some time I will run a good bead of weld around the bottom of the old bearing shell and then turn it in the lathe to create a small flange, which will assist withe the bearing installation.

17 hours ago, GPSguru said:

now that`s how you use the right size hammer😉

Just now, Andy135 said:

Sounds awesome! Top spannering 🔧🔧

Haha, didn't even lay a spanner on it. Found some vids and realised these are generally gravity fed, so raised the pipe, bled it again and away she went..... Simples

And a bargain!!

🤣

11 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Haha, didn't even lay a spanner on it. Found some vids and realised these are generally gravity fed, so raised the pipe, bled it again and away she went..... Simples

And a bargain!!

🤣

Love a cost-free fix 👍