Importing from the EU

Ok, so now we have left the EU, importing boats into the UK has become a bit of a mine field. Apparently all boats to be brought in must conform to RCD II.
Im looking at a boat that's engine is RCD I. The engine is a Volvo penta D4 260hp. 
Now there are quite literally 1000's of these engines already in use in the UK. But I can't bring one back from the EU because it does not conform?? 
Who is up to date with the ins and outs of the regs? Let's leave VAT to one side for a moment, as paying this is understood. 
@Andy135, did you check or worry that the Suzuki on JG conforms? Were you even aware of the rule?? 

I think that Jersey girl was purchased prior to the end of the transition period - I could be wrong of course. I do seem to remember that imported used Japanese cars over 10 years old for some reason. Geoff.

5 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I think that Jersey girl was purchased prior to the end of the transition period - I could be wrong of course. I do seem to remember that imported used Japanese cars over 10 years old for some reason. Geoff.

Yes I wondered the same. Maybe Andy will confirm?

RCD 1 and 2 are pieces of EU legislation, and should no longer apply now that we've left the EU, unless we agreed to follow them as part of the Brexit agreement.

@Saintly Fish, can you share a link to the requirement for compliance with RCD 2 when importing from the EU? I'm curious to know more about the legal requirement (and how it may or may not be enforceable).

JG wasn't imported from the EU, so it didn't apply to her. All I had to worry about was paying the VAT.

8 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

RCD 1 and 2 are pieces of EU legislation, and should no longer apply now that we've left the EU, unless we agreed to follow them as part of the Brexit agreement.

@Saintly Fish, can you share a link to the requirement for compliance with RCD 2 when importing from the EU? I'm curious to know more about the legal requirement (and how it may or may not be enforceable).

JG wasn't imported from the EU, so it didn't apply to her. All I had to worry about was paying the VAT.

Not so much a link for actual facts but a link from advice given by others on YBW. 

https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?threads/buying-from-palma.575216/

I have emailed Volvo penta and they have sent me the relevant certificates relating to the engine fitted. 

I'd be inclined to follow the advice already given on YBW and contact RYC for their point of view on it. Having glanced at the RDC 2 requirements (very briefly) the only sticking point for the prospective new boat would be the engine. Everything else can be made compliant without too much extra cash thrown at it, but the engine... 😬

Thinking sideways about this... if you really wanted the boat, you could think about removing the engine, trucking the boat and engine back separately, get the boat registered here, then drop the engine back in. It would be a "second hand" engine that could be bought from anywhere and who would be any the wiser?

7 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I'd be inclined to follow the advice already given on YBW and contact RYC for their point of view on it. Having glanced at the RDC 2 requirements (very briefly) the only sticking point for the prospective new boat would be the engine. Everything else can be made compliant without too much extra cash thrown at it, but the engine... 😬

Thinking sideways about this... if you really wanted the boat, you could think about removing the engine, trucking the boat and engine back separately, get the boat registered here, then drop the engine back in. It would be a "second hand" engine that could be bought from anywhere and who would be any the wiser?

Yeah I've emailed the RYC and getting no response. I've also emailed these guys...

https://www.hpi-ceproof.com/

And again, no response. 
Removing an engine and shipping it separately just adds to the stress and cost. Not something I can be arsed with, I'm stretching my limits of "doable by me" as it is!! 

The bottom line with HPI or Volvo is that they themselves can't turn an RCD 1 compliant engine into an RCD 2 compliant engine if the emissions/noise requirements have become more strict between 1 and 2, so unless you plan to modify the engine to meet RCD 2 criteria, all they can do is give you the RCD 1 CE mark documentation, which won't be helpful here.

It's the act of importation that's the killer here, and it sticks in the throat that the same engines can be bought in boats already in the UK. The legislation intends to ensure that any boats brought into UK waters permanently meet current specifications, and it's just hard cheese that some of those boats would be older, used boats that will never likely pass the criteria for new boats.

29 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Thanks Luke , but this only refers to vat which I am well aware of. Even with paying the vat and transport costs the boat would be worth it. However it's the certification that is the problem here. 

51 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Customs basically. Getting the boat past them without the correct paperwork is the issue. 

What boat you looking at? 😃😃😃

I’ve thought about as would quite like a Rodman 1150… good sea keeping and good range to go off the continental shelf off Ireland but with VAT it’s just not feasible 

Edited by Odyssey

11 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

What boat you looking at? 😃😃😃

I’ve thought about as would quite like a Rodman 1150… good sea keeping and good range to go off the continental shelf off Ireland but with VAT it’s just not feasible 

I'm looking at a Gulf Craft Ambassador 32. 

Right, I can't find any definitive info on this as yet, BUT, surely the boat would only have to apply to the relevant legislation that applied when it was new? I mean, if you import a car or bike, it has to conform to the relevant laws at date of manufacture.

As it's for sale in the EU, it would have to conform to the legislation there, so as we adopted most of these laws (a lot were based on the old BS certs to start with), it should be relevant here. If it's a new boat it would have to be RCD2 compliant to sell it either end....

6 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Right, I can't find any definitive info on this as yet, BUT, surely the boat would only have to apply to the relevant legislation that applied when it was new? I mean, if you import a car or bike, it has to conform to the relevant laws at date of manufacture.

As it's for sale in the EU, it would have to conform to the legislation there, so as we adopted most of these laws (a lot were based on the old BS certs to start with), it should be relevant here. If it's a new boat it would have to be RCD2 compliant to sell it either end....

Yes it's a bit grey Steve, hence I'm trying to find a definitive answer! 

HMRC will only be able to guide you on the VAT side of things anyway.

If the boat is built after 98 but before 2017 it will be RCD 1 compliant, and that is all it will need to be unless you are importing it as a new boat then it will need to be RCD 2 compliant.

What you have to take into account is that these are our laws as well having been in the EU during that time, the only thing that has changed is the VAT rules