Hand warmers (petrol)

jonnyswamp

My mate had a couple on him yesterday whilst fishing

Bit of a faff to light, but when they settled down they were both still hot 8 hrs later

I've asked santa to send me a Zippo 12hr one, as the reviews seem to favour that brand, I've also owned loads of Zippo lighters over the years and they're usually pretty bomb proof

Anyone else have one ?

No, but they sound good. I had a couple of charcoal ones that barely got warm and left black powder all over your hands. I also have a couple for the charcoal bar ones that you light and put into an insulated tin. But I can never get the buggers to stay alight. 

I’ve heard good things about them, but I tend to keep busy as that keeps out the cold… 

best cure is a big cod…. Takes your mind off the cold a treat…. Sound like I should ask Santa for some as I ain’t going to get a cod 🤣🤣🤣

Yes I have the genuine zippo version and some cheap Chinese copies. I find the Zippo harder to light and keep alight unless it has a reasonably good ventilation, where the Chinese ones have been much easier to keep going. Not that I need them right now, in fact I only used them a couple of times in the last 5 years when I head into the snow. Today is perfect 28'c on the coast and a barmy 45'c inland, just about the right temp for a slow cooked pull part lamb!!!

Petrol warmers sound a bit dodgy to me. Last week Joyce bought me a couple of sachet hand warmers from Lidl? The sachets are packed with some kind of white crystals and a small soft metal disc. The instructions say to put a bend in the metal disc and the unit will heat up and stay warm for up to an hour. They also claim that the warmers can be recharged up 1000 times by placing in boiling water for about ten minutes. Geoff.🙂

21 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Petrol warmers sound a bit dodgy to me. Last week Joyce bought me a couple of sachet hand warmers from Lidl? The sachets are packed with some kind of white crystals and a small soft metal disc. The instructions say to put a bend in the metal disc and the unit will heat up and stay warm for up to an hour. They also claim that the warmers can be recharged up 1000 times by placing in boiling water for about ten minutes. Geoff.🙂

Probably easier to put your hands in the water. 

disclaimer, this is not actually advice. 

49 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I've used those ones before. They're pretty good for what they are.

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

I've used those ones before. They're pretty good for what they are.

I did have some chemical warmers years ago, but they were only single use. If you had say about 10 of the type the type that J bought, that should last for a day and they could all be recharged with the hot water treatment in the same pot (10 mins) and be ready for another day, or does it not work like that? Geoff.

9 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I did have some chemical warmers years ago, but they were only single use. If you had say about 10 of the type the type that J bought, that should last for a day and they could all be recharged with the hot water treatment in the same pot (10 mins) and be ready for another day, or does it not work like that? Geoff.

Yes, the idea is that you boil them to reset the crystals back to a liquid state. They go hard as they discharge their heat. No reason why you couldn't put them all in the same pot.

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

Yes, the idea is that you boil them to reset the crystals back to a liquid state. They go hard as they discharge their heat. No reason why you couldn't put them all in the same pot.

If he got a really big pot he could do them for everyone. 

I don’t use petrol in mine, I use zippo lighter fuel or this other fuel that is virtually the same as the zippo stuff. These cheapies like mentioned seemed to out perform the far more expensive zippo. Just realised, these aren’t Chinese lighters but Japanese, which might be why they work so well, they were very cheap though.A6269948-A671-4AF9-BD04-6928B449947A.thumb.jpeg.2aea651dd3d1705eee9c49bf97170687.jpeg A1BDF565-E84F-4C82-9B30-4FEE8249CBF3.thumb.jpeg.ddc10ef03d4e119ee257b4ee926f4841.jpeg

Edited by JDP

1 minute ago, JDP said:

I don’t use petrol in mine, I use zippo lighter fuel or this other fuel that is virtually the same as the zippo stuff. These cheapies like mentioned seemed to out perform the far more expensive zippo.A6269948-A671-4AF9-BD04-6928B449947A.thumb.jpeg.2aea651dd3d1705eee9c49bf97170687.jpeg A1BDF565-E84F-4C82-9B30-4FEE8249CBF3.thumb.jpeg.ddc10ef03d4e119ee257b4ee926f4841.jpeg

Jesus Jon, how many hand warmers does one ex pat need in oz??

14 minutes ago, JDP said:

I don’t use petrol in mine, I use zippo lighter fuel or this other fuel that is virtually the same as the zippo stuff. These cheapies like mentioned seemed to out perform the far more expensive zippo. Just realised, these aren’t Chinese lighters but Japanese, which might be why they work so well, they were very cheap though.A6269948-A671-4AF9-BD04-6928B449947A.thumb.jpeg.2aea651dd3d1705eee9c49bf97170687.jpeg A1BDF565-E84F-4C82-9B30-4FEE8249CBF3.thumb.jpeg.ddc10ef03d4e119ee257b4ee926f4841.jpeg

That’s the key ingredient to most Australian reds right there.