RYA courses

jonnyswamp

I consider myself to be a safe skipper in the waters that I fish in (in that I don't take any chances and will take the long way around what may be a shallow bank ) but haven't got any qualifications

Have owned a boat since 2011 and have been learning ever since

I'm thinking of doing the coastal skipper/yachtmaster offshore course

Should I take the day skipper first ? or will basic knowledge be a good enough start

Interested to know what others have and what you class as basic knowledge

I've been out on all nighters and navigated out and back in, in the dark using a mixture of electronics and port buoys

I can also recognise the different cardinal buoys and their meaning

I suspect my experience would be rather less than you Solent boys

14 minutes ago, JonC said:

I think it’s always going to be a good thing to do these courses, if I had the time I would like to do as many as possible 

I agree with Jon. Courses are what I'd also like to do. Trouble is, as you know, being self employed means the course will be double the price as in the cost of the course and lost earnings. Yeah you can do it evenings online, but i for one do not have the motivation after work to sit down and do a 40hr online course, even in bite size chunks. 
When Leo is old enough both of us will do powerboat level 2, I don't need it but will be good for him to learn and start from the bottom and work up! 

21 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I agree with Jon. Courses are what I'd also like to do. Trouble is, as you know, being self employed means the course will be double the price as in the cost of the course and lost earnings. Yeah you can do it evenings online, but i for one do not have the motivation after work to sit down and do a 40hr online course, even in bite size chunks. 
When Leo is old enough both of us will do powerboat level 2, I don't need it but will be good for him to learn and start from the bottom and work up! 

Solent charters and training run the courses over at shamrock. My boy did his aged 15 but I think kids can do it younger than that. They put an endorsement on your ticket which is lifted at 16 years old. 

I did my YM but not the exam was in CBYC. 

Most of it was plotting a course on paper and tidal calculations. I use none of it… I use modern electronics. I was the only one on the course who had not run a boat aground. It also happened that I was the only one who had a power boat….

Ive also done the VHF course and Radar course. Both are excellent but these were through commercial training centres.

Ive not done PB2 but tempted to do it Portishead with Bristol Marine Acadamy. I’d also like to do advanced powerboat. As it can be commercially endorsed but it’s best part of £300 a time plus time off work…

To my mind there is a lack of courses aimed at power boaters linked to things like:

- Anchoring (I’ve seen so many people who can’t anchor propwly….)

- Boat handling in swells… how to out run a swell or cross a bar? 

- Setting up a tow/rescue etc. Man Overboard is obviously useful but if you got someone going to “help” who has no clue then it dna make a simple breakdown worse! 

Edited by Odyssey

1 minute ago, Odyssey said:

I did my YM but not the exam was in CBYC. 

Most of it was plotting a course on paper and tidal calculations. I use none of it… I use modern electronics. I was the only one on the course who had not run a boat aground. It also happened that I was the only one who had a power boat….

Ive also done the VHF course and Radar course. Both are excellent but these were through commercial training centres.

Ive not done PB2 but tempted to do it Portishead with Bristol Marine Acadamy. I’d also like to do advanced powerboat. As it can be commercially endorsed but it’s best part of £300 a time plus time off work…

I was looking at the day skipping course and it is run either for sail or motor boats, I wouldn’t want to spend my time worrying about windward tacks and other wadi stuff. 

1 minute ago, JonC said:

I was looking at the day skipping course and it is run either for sail or motor boats, I wouldn’t want to spend my time worrying about windward tacks and other wadi stuff. 

The one I did was the shore based theory….

What is my course to steer if you are running at 6knots…. I had to explain that I run ar anything up to 30 knots. You try marking a paper chart at that speed…. To which I was told I was reckless running at that speed…. 🤔🤔🤔🤔

4 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

The one I did was the shore based theory….

What is my course to steer if you are running at 6knots…. I had to explain that I run ar anything up to 30 knots. You try marking a paper chart at that speed…. To which I was told I was reckless running at that speed…. 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Yeah your yor reckless, just ask @mike farrants

14 minutes ago, JonC said:

Solent charters and training run the courses over at shamrock. My boy did his aged 15 but I think kids can do it younger than that. They put an endorsement on your ticket which is lifted at 16 years old. 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure 12 is the minimum age requirement. 

Sailtrain: Training for RYA Competent Crew, Day Skipper, Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster sailing courses.

This may interest some 

Iirc @Clinker  put this link on another site a few yrs ago

And it's free !

Edited by jonnyswamp

1 hour ago, jonnyswamp said:

Sailtrain: Training for RYA Competent Crew, Day Skipper, Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster sailing courses.

This may interest some 

Iirc @Clinker  put this link on another site a few yrs ago

And it's free !

This book by Alison Noice  https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/day-skipper-for-sail-and-power-9781472944818/ will tell you all you need to know, and it is written in a very understandable manner, with different senario's  for both the fast powerboat, displacement powerboat, and WAFI.

A relative (not saying who) did the PB2 and gave me a very nice compliment ......... he said he had learnt very much more being out with me, than he did on the course, and the instructor was very surprised at his close quarters handling ability, but, at least he now has a piece of paper (ICC) that allows him to drive and rent a boat in mainland EU. The only issue he had with the instructor was Colregs ........... he was told to power on through as he had the right of way, but instead he adopted what I had taught him .......... unless you are 100% sure of another vessels intentions, then avoid like the plague !, especially at speed.

I really should do PB2, I know all the local instructors, and we see and chat to each other all the time when going in and out of the estuary harbour, so I guess it could be quite fun.

Brother in law (James) who often crews with me has 'Ocean Yachtmaster' qualifications which he took many years ago when living in Oz.

40 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

This book by Alison Noice  https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/day-skipper-for-sail-and-power-9781472944818/ will tell you all you need to know, and it is written in a very understandable manner, with different senario's  for both the fast powerboat, displacement powerboat, and WAFI.

A relative (not saying who) did the PB2 and gave me a very nice compliment ......... he said he had learnt very much more being out with me, than he did on the course, and the instructor was very surprised at his close quarters handling ability, but, at least he now has a piece of paper (ICC) that allows him to drive and rent a boat in mainland EU. The only issue he had with the instructor was Colregs ........... he was told to power on through as he had the right of way, but instead he adopted what I had taught him .......... unless you are 100% sure of another vessels intentions, then avoid like the plague !, especially at speed.

I really should do PB2, I know all the local instructors, and we see and chat to each other all the time when going in and out of the estuary harbour, so I guess it could be quite fun.

Brother in law (James) who often crews with me has 'Ocean Yachtmaster' qualifications which he took many years ago when living in Oz.

In the pb2 training book I have it pretty much says give way to everyone, as in most cases ( not all ) we have to. 

11 minutes ago, JonC said:

In the pb2 training book I have it pretty much says give way to everyone, as in most cases ( not all ) we have to. 

Yes, I was surprised he was given that instruction, but I guess, as is the case with many trainers in all walks of life where statutes are not involved, the verbage is open to 'interpretation' by each individual trainer.

12 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Power through as you have right of way…..

Great in theory, but when some feckin idiot who doesn’t have a clue sees you going for it and follows it makes issues….

I take the veiw that you consider every single vessel as an idiot (apart from ships/ferries/lifeboats) you’ll not go far wrong 🙂 

That said I still want to do PB2 with my deckie. Hopefully they’ll have a bit more confidence so I can let them do some is the work while I drink coffee and rig up fishing rods 😁😁

Edited by Odyssey

my view is  stop or by pas if possible, all ways look for a way past be-for you get there bit like driving a car, and it dose not mater if you are in the right a hole in your boat is not fun prevention is allays better then qua-er

On 12/29/2021 at 4:52 PM, jonnyswamp said:

I consider myself to be a safe skipper in the waters that I fish in (in that I don't take any chances and will take the long way around what may be a shallow bank ) but haven't got any qualifications

Have owned a boat since 2011 and have been learning ever since

I'm thinking of doing the coastal skipper/yachtmaster offshore course

Should I take the day skipper first ? or will basic knowledge be a good enough start

Interested to know what others have and what you class as basic knowledge

I've been out on all nighters and navigated out and back in, in the dark using a mixture of electronics and port buoys

I can also recognise the different cardinal buoys and their meaning

I suspect my experience would be rather less than you Solent boys

I did the Day Skipper on-line and a book or two - it was basic but OK.