Scotland Skate Fishing

Odyssey

Hi all 

I’m off to Scotland skate fishing in April. It’s over May Bank holiday on the Saturday so enough time to make a long weekend of it. 

There are spaces available as of yesterday. I’ve not booked the whole boat but if anyone is interested let me know and I can pass on the skippers details. 

Fingers crossed I get one over a ton to cross off on my ton up list 🙂 

Mako, conger and Six Gill shark maybe a challenge but a thresher is potentially possible….

6 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Hi all 

I’m off to Scotland skate fishing in April. It’s over May Bank holiday on the Saturday so enough time to make a long weekend of it. 

There are spaces available as of yesterday. I’ve not booked the whole boat but if anyone is interested let me know and I can pass on the skippers details. 

Mako, conger and Six Gill shark maybe a challenge but a thresher is potentially possible….

Have you been watching @Brian Lawrenceon Facebook? He has smashed them this year. 

2 hours ago, JonC said:

Have you been watching @Brian Lawrenceon Facebook? He has smashed them this year. 

To many Brian Lawrence's on Facebook, went on hoping to see some mako's, didn't realise all those species were so common up there. Are they getting the sharks through winter, what temp would it be in April ?

9 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Hi all 

Willy wonker  (Alain @willyhookit) does a lot of Skate fishing in Jockistan. He tows his worrier up from York ................

I used to compete in Land Rover events in jockistan, but these days I would find the trip from deepest South Devon more than a little tedious, not only that, but I also have a problem understanding the sweaty's accent. However, we have looked at rental properties with either a mooring or launching facilities as an alternative to a France break next year.

19 minutes ago, JDP said:

To many Brian Lawrence's on Facebook, went on hoping to see some mako's, didn't realise all those species were so common up there. Are they getting the sharks through winter, what temp would it be in April ?

This is the guy, he posted a bit on here but was scared off by sexual advances from @GPSguru

He has consistently caught large skate for a couple of years 

39A4778B-666E-40DE-BB70-8E30ABF20A1D.png

1 hour ago, JDP said:

No Makos around… I have a hit list of fish over 100lb that can be caught in U.K. waters, bonus points if I do it from my own boat but that limits where I can fish! 

As far as I am aware it’s: 

- blue shark

porbeagle 

thresher

mako 

BFT

common skate 

Six Gill shark 

conger 

halibut 

Six Gill is not really done easily, but thresher is a possibility, mako you never know… as for Halibut, that would be Shetland and a lot of waiting around… Conger, hard to find big eels 

22 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

as for Halibut, that would be Shetland and a lot of waiting around

Or go to Norway, I've got near your 100lb but just fell short at 88lb. 
Still lots of waiting around, but that's in the airport waiting for connecting flights. 
C469CD44-B03E-4642-A042-C79D57919A47.jpeg.ddfaf2848db09022318cf8a5e4537672.jpeg

Nice Halibut but Norway is cheating 😉 

Besides I prefer warmth do it’s be a marlin or something… I could do with some warm sun, a cold beer about now 🤣

23 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Nice Halibut but Norway is cheating

Cheating?? How do you come to that ? 
It was hard work finding that beast. The smaller 30-40lb samples were quite numerous, but the biggies were a lot tougher to find. 
One of the guys in our group landed a 280lb 3.2m monster! 

2 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Cheating?? How do you come to that ? 
It was hard work finding that beast. The smaller 30-40lb samples were quite numerous, but the biggies were a lot tougher to find. 
One of the guys in our group landed a 280lb 3.2m monster! 

Well Whenever I look at fishing reports it’s like a fishing Nirvana full of monster fish every drop that’s all 🙂 

I thought it was the place where they got bored of 20-30lb cod and were hoping for a doggie 🤣🤣

10 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Well Whenever I look at fishing reports it’s like a fishing Nirvana full of monster fish every drop that’s all 🙂 

I thought it was the place where they got bored of 20-30lb cod and were hoping for a doggie 🤣🤣

Big cod in Norway are mainly caught between June and July. After that they bugger off. We only caught one cod and it was about 5lb. But then we went end of august. 

On 12/30/2021 at 10:34 PM, Odyssey said:

No Makos around… I have a hit list of fish over 100lb that can be caught in U.K. waters, bonus points if I do it from my own boat but that limits where I can fish! 

- blue shark

porbeagle 

thresher

mako 

BFT

common skate 

Six Gill shark 

conger 

halibut 

Six Gill is not really done easily, but thresher is a possibility, mako you never know… as for Halibut, that would be Shetland and a lot of waiting around… Conger, hard to find big eels 

I have done Porbeagle, Thresher, and BFT.

Conger over 100lbs is a tough call, my best is 92lb

Mako is a strong contender, I have a feeling we will see more of them in the very near future.

10 hours ago, GPSguru said:

I have done Porbeagle, Thresher, and BFT.

Conger over 100lbs is a tough call, my best is 92lb

Mako is a strong contender, I have a feeling we will see more of them in the very near future.

Thresher is on the list for this year. 

Mako maybe more a fluke! As for conger there are less and less big ones around sadly 😞 

On 12/30/2021 at 10:34 PM, Odyssey said:

- blue shark

porbeagle 

thresher

mako 

BFT

common skate 

Six Gill shark 

conger 

halibut 

Mate  had a  60lbs    Halibut   out of whitby      been a few  caught     nowt real big   as yet   

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2021 at 11:49 AM, Odyssey said:

Hi all 

Good luck on your trip. I've been going up to Scotland for around 10 years chasing skate, it's great fishing and don't be afraid to use big baits!

my favorite is fresh dogfish, killer bait for the 'barn doors'  😉🙂

7 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

You'd better hope that @Andy135 does read that, he worships the LSD. No quicker way to make an enemy of him!! 🤣

Yet another reason why dogfish are the greatest! Being barn door bait is no bad thing in the grand scheme of things.