My Hobie Revolution 16

Malc

That sounds like a well thought out set up. Thanks for sharing. I guess you must need to keep a sharp eye on the weather conditions in case they deteriorate whilst you're out, or do you find you fish more sheltered waters and can ride it out?

@Davemc on here has a similar yak, although not a Hobie I don't think.

3 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Thanks for sharing. I guess you must need to keep a sharp eye on the weather conditions in case they deteriorate whilst you're out, or do you find you fish more sheltered waters and can ride it out?

Yes I keep an eye out on the weather, the last time I was out there was a sharp breeze offshore so I stayed close in but as soon as it dropped I went out to the mark I wanted to fish and then the wind spung up so I headed in again. Its surprising what kind of sea a suitable kayak can be in, 3-6 foot long swells are a doddle, but a short chop of a foot or two is a nightmare and if there is a secondary swell from a different angle making it a confused sea it is time to go in or wait it out if the tide is due to change as wind against tide usually means a short chop.

Nice set up - far more sophisticated than mine - but i bought a boat so the yak took 2nd place. 

summer only for me = and no real tech on board - i'll only use it for inshore fun!

have had some fun feathering - and will try for pipefish and bream in portland harbour and just off the beach in weymouth drifting for plaice - areas i cant get in pugwash.

image.png.cac23f1b15d5c5d1b203d869091c799f.png

image.png.a479cbd04e05a907dcd6e507491d021e.png

I do have PFD and wetsuit and will wear them when solo. 

36 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

Nice set up - far more sophisticated than mine - but i bought a boat so the yak took 2nd place. 

summer only for me = and no real tech on board - i'll only use it for inshore fun!

have had some fun feathering - and will try for pipefish and bream in portland harbour and just off the beach in weymouth drifting for plaice - areas i cant get in pugwash.

image.png.cac23f1b15d5c5d1b203d869091c799f.png

image.png.a479cbd04e05a907dcd6e507491d021e.png

I do have PFD and wetsuit and will wear them when solo. 

factor 50 needed too by the look of it!!

#almostaspaleasaginge

6 hours ago, Malc said:

Just found one of both my kayaks together.

IMG_0348r.thumb.jpg.026e9db3f8192d68ed057ba93de7cb45.jpg

Black one is an RTM Tempo that I eventually sold on due to lack of space.

The red one looks like the same type as a guy had that was waving at me as I went past him last week. Something must have been not working on it because he was shouting and swearing a lot. I couldn’t make out what he was saying even though I was really close because my engine was  running at full rpm. 
I noticed after I passed that he had given up with trying to fix it and decided to go swimming instead, which I thought was odd as the water looked really cold. 

15 minutes ago, JonC said:

The red one looks like the same type as a guy had that was waving at me as I went past him last week. Something must have been not working on it because he was shouting and swearing a lot. I couldn’t make out what he was saying even though I was really close because my engine was  running at full rpm. 
I noticed after I passed that he had given up with trying to fix it and decided to go swimming instead, which I thought was odd as the water looked really cold. 

We usually carry a small drill and a large stubby auger with us for such occasions.

Have you been down to check your boat recently?

1 minute ago, Malc said:

We usually carry a small drill and a large stubby auger with us for such occasions.

Have you been down to check your boat recently?

That’s a good idea, is the drill waterproof? 

Hell yeah, just need to wind the handle round and round.

I have been told that if it had been a Hobie that you would have been able to catch up in your boat. Can't say who said it but I believe they could be right.

5 minutes ago, Malc said:

I have been told that if it had been a Hobie that you would have been able to catch up in your boat. Can't say who said it but I believe they could be right.

You wouldn’t catch my boat. Once I’ve got the fucker started that is. 

48 minutes ago, Malc said:

Your not confusing @JonC for @mike farrantsare you?

On 1/7/2022 at 6:31 PM, JonC said:

I carry a 12 guage on mine just incase I have a similar experience with a boat 😂😂

• 4 weeks later...