European game fishing.

Saintly Fish

Fishing at Madeira is very expensive, but you do stand a chance of a 'grand' (1000lb fish) ............ chartering a boat is about £750, although flights to Funchal are pretty cheap, however if you are not a good air passenger the runway is 'interesting' 😂

Although not strictly European, other places to look at are the Azores, and Cape Verde, both have excellent game fishing, but again, quite expensive when compared to fishing trips in the UK !    https://www.marlinmag.com/blue-marlin-fishing-in-cape-verde/

In most of the 'preferred' destinations, you are looking at £800 - £1000 for a long day charter. Last time I was in Cape Verde I chartered on Sambo.

With regard to Portugal, I am considering towing my own boat there for a holiday. Pretty easy really by taking the ferry from Plymouth to Santander and then a little over a day's drive to Portugal. We have driven there several times without the boat, usually stopping off at various locations in Northern Spain, which also has good fishing into the Bay of Biscay.

Edited by GPSguru

7 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Fishing at Madeira is very expensive, but you do stand a chance of a 'grand' (1000lb fish) ............ chartering a boat is about £750, although flights to Funchal are pretty cheap, however if you are not a good air passenger the runway is 'interesting' 😂

Although not strictly European, other places to look at are the Azores, and Cape Verde, both have excellent game fishing, but again, quite expensive when compared to fishing trips in the UK !    https://www.marlinmag.com/blue-marlin-fishing-in-cape-verde/

In most of the 'preferred' destinations, you are looking at £800 - £1000 for a long day charter. Last time I was in Cape Verde I chartered on Sambo.

With regard to Portugal, I am considering towing my own boat there for a holiday. Pretty easy really by taking the ferry from Plymouth to Santander and then a little over a day's drive to Portugal. We have driven there several times without the boat, usually stopping off at various locations in Northern Spain, which also has good fishing into the Bay of Biscay.

What's the chartering like in Portugal Ian? Ever done it there? 

10 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Madeira appealed because of its almost instant access to deep deep water, but yes it's expensive. 
Im 50 next summer so am considering a treat trip for myself, was thinking Norway but now thinking sun!!!

Why not think outside to box and head for east coast oz, QLD and NSW.

Plenty to do for the family and lots to interest you. Also Marlin and other game is cheap fishing over there. Start off in Sydney (opera house etc), drive on up to Brisbane and the gold coast, then hire a 4x4 and take a drive along Rainbow beach to get the ferry to Fraser Island, then drive along 75mile beach, then drive up to Cairns via Rockhampton, taking a boat out to the Whit Sunday’s on the way (stunning). Also take a boat out for walk on the GBR. Plenty to do in Cairns and some good fishing there also. You need about 3 weeks, plus stopping off in Singapore or Dubai on the way. Singapore is worth a day or two and so is Osaka if you fly japan airlines.

If you are going on your own, the head for Ascension or Reunion Islands for some of the best fishing the world has to offer. You only live once ! 👍

7 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Why not think outside to box and head for east coast oz, QLD and NSW.

Plenty to do for the family and lots to interest you. Also Marlin and other game is cheap fishing over there. Start off in Sydney (opera house etc), drive on up to Brisbane and the gold coast, then hire a 4x4 and take a drive along Rainbow beach to get the ferry to Fraser Island, then drive along 75mile beach, then drive up to Cairns via Rockhampton, taking a boat out to the Whit Sunday’s on the way (stunning). Also take a boat out for walk on the GBR. Plenty to do in Cairns and some good fishing there also. You need about 3 weeks, plus stopping off in Singapore or Dubai on the way. Singapore is worth a day or two and so is Osaka if you fly japan airlines.

If you are going on your own, the head for Ascension or Reunion Islands for some of the best fishing the world has to offer. You only live once ! 👍

Erm well, because I was only planning on going for a week?

27 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Erm well, because I was only planning on going for a week?

Ah ok, then I guess it is a flight to Faro. Although I have spent many a happy hour on the Algarve, I have never really fished there. My mate does a fair amount of fishing from Porto, but I don't remember him catching anything sizeable game wise, but there are huge numbers of Bass to 5lb or so.

Tuna and sharks out of Algarve but it’s not fantastic… could catch them from Cornwall if you tried hard enough but I think that’s due to the demand, I’m sure if you pay more money you’d get a better trip but big game fishing is ££££

What about South Africa/Namibia? Same time zone, big sharks from beach etc? 

1 minute ago, Odyssey said:

Tuna and sharks out of Algarve but it’s not fantastic… could catch them from Cornwall if you tried hard enough but I think that’s due to the demand, I’m sure if you pay more money you’d get a better trip but big game fishing is ££££

What about South Africa/Namibia? Same time zone, big sharks from beach etc? 

Looks like Cape Verde is going to be the location. 
Tui do some rather good all inclusive holiday deals, and the charters look good from Sal. 

9 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Looks like Cape Verde is going to be the location. 
Tui do some rather good all inclusive holiday deals, and the charters look good from Sal. 

Sounds good 🙂 

Im 40 in 2 years and did have similar thoughts about a holiday away somewhere warm that had some fishing….

22 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

But you were invited as you well know, just the destination changed after you turned down the trip. 

And I suppose you think it’s funny trying to get Ginge  burnt to fuck . You know full well he can’t be exposed to sunlight, like a little ginger gremlin .

Besides when you first mentioned it the trip was Norway. I would struggle to sell that but someplace hot is easy,  I would only have to explain the coincidence of there just so happening to be an OOs meeting there at the same time. 

2 hours ago, JonC said:

Besides when you first mentioned it the trip was Norway. I would struggle to sell that but someplace hot is easy,  I would only have to explain the coincidence of there just so happening to be an OOs meeting there at the same time. 

Well then we can look at that! 
Egypt looks promising too, and cheaper! 

The cat I chartered from fuertaventura is all geared up for big game with kit. Plenty of pictures but no idea if they ever catch any big stuff.

Out 5 how trip was £350, they advertise longer trolling trips which maybe are more serious.