29th May, Fowey Estuary, shore jigging.

Andy135

8 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Nice little session that and fish for dinner, can’t complain at all 🙂 

Yep, very worthwhile. 👍

It was a lovely evening to be out. Several people stopped for a chat, including a guy who had recently spent two days salmon fishing on the River Wye, only to catch a chub. 😖

I felt bad for him, especially as he was watching me reel in the wrasse as he was telling me about his expensive blank. 

Mind you, I was grateful not to be blanking myself 🤣

5 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

nice one! i'll have to try the jigs off the rocks at portland bill!

Plenty of bass and wrasse just off the Bill so I reckon you'll do well.

13 hours ago, Andy135 said:

I snatched a couple of hours this evening at a mark on the Fowey estuary.

20220529_204558

As you can see the water clarity was good. I was using a Rovex 9ft spinning rod and a Major Craft 30gr slow jig in Zebra Glow pattern. The mark was a slim finger of rock past which the ebb tide was flowing, creating a small rip that I hoped would be used by bass or pollack as a spot to feed on sandeels. Casting across the rip and letting the jig flutter down it didn't take long before I had a hit.

20220529_205920

A nice plate-sized pollack which came home for tea, closely followed by a fat mackerel.

20220529_211023

Not to be outdone, a small ballan wrasse also took a shine to the slow jig just a few casts later.

20220529_211643

Three species within 30 minutes. Result!

The light had begun to fade by now so with several more "last casts" I called it a night and headed home with two fishy friends in tow. This mark could be worth another visit if I can get out later this week.

20220529_220602

Did you count the jig time to the bottom ? There is sone very deep water in Fowey.

10 minutes ago, willyhookit said:

hope to be  back  in Fowey    the end of  August   see if there is any  giant  mackerel about    was you fishing near were the chain was put across    trapping the spanish boats    

Polruan castle.

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

Did you count the jig time to the bottom ? There is sone very deep water in Fowey.

I was counting down 6 seconds per sweep, and on a couple of occasions I was hooking the tips of kelp fronds, so I didn't risk going much deeper.

10 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Yep, very worthwhile. 👍

It was a lovely evening to be out. Several people stopped for a chat, including a guy who had recently spent two days salmon fishing on the River Wye, only to catch a chub. 😖

I felt bad for him, especially as he was watching me reel in the wrasse as he was telling me about his expensive blank. 

Mind you, I was grateful not to be blanking myself 🤣

A barbel would have tested his gear for him..... Some big uns in the wye

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

any particular technique from the shore??

i've just got some cheapo 28g ones from amazon to try off the bill

Cast out, take in the slack line and let them fall for a count of 10 (or whatever depth is appropriate for your marks), then sweep the rod up and reel in a few turns then let it sink down again. Rinse & repeat. The takes will be on the drop.