Jump to content

29th May, Fowey Estuary, shore jigging.


Andy135
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

That is what I like about slow jigs, you never know what is going to grab the jig, whereas soft plastics and hard lures are more predictable with results.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well done Andy, a very poetic write up. If only Jon could get the benefit of the words. That's probably the best session you've reported on....... ever!! 
(except from my boat of course). 🤣

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve been saying for a while that these slow jugs are the way forward. Well done Ginge for taking my advice. 
Did you take a pot noodle with you to complete the evening in style? 

  • Haha 2
  • Optimistic 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Nice little session that and fish for dinner, can’t complain at all 🙂 

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Nice little session that and fish for dinner, can’t complain at all 🙂 

Yep, very worthwhile. 👍

It was a lovely evening to be out. Several people stopped for a chat, including a guy who had recently spent two days salmon fishing on the River Wye, only to catch a chub. 😖

I felt bad for him, especially as he was watching me reel in the wrasse as he was telling me about his expensive blank. 

Mind you, I was grateful not to be blanking myself 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

nice one! i'll have to try the jigs off the rocks at portland bill!

 

 

Plenty of bass and wrasse just off the Bill so I reckon you'll do well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Plenty of bass and wrasse just off the Bill so I reckon you'll do well.

Of course he will do well @mike farrants could catch a fish in a puddle 🤣🤣🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

challenge accepted......

To be clear, you don't get to put any fish in the puddle first. 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Andy135 said:

I snatched a couple of hours this evening at a mark on the Fowey estuary.

20220529_204558

As you can see the water clarity was good. I was using a Rovex 9ft spinning rod and a Major Craft 30gr slow jig in Zebra Glow pattern. The mark was a slim finger of rock past which the ebb tide was flowing, creating a small rip that I hoped would be used by bass or pollack as a spot to feed on sandeels. Casting across the rip and letting the jig flutter down it didn't take long before I had a hit.

20220529_205920

A nice plate-sized pollack which came home for tea, closely followed by a fat mackerel.

20220529_211023

Not to be outdone, a small ballan wrasse also took a shine to the slow jig just a few casts later.

20220529_211643

Three species within 30 minutes. Result!

The light had begun to fade by now so with several more "last casts" I called it a night and headed home with two fishy friends in tow. This mark could be worth another visit if I can get out later this week.

20220529_220602

Did you count the jig time to the bottom ? There is sone very deep water in Fowey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hope to be  back  in Fowey    the end of  August   see if there is any  giant  mackerel about    was you fishing near were the chain was put across    trapping the spanish boats    

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, willyhookit said:

hope to be  back  in Fowey    the end of  August   see if there is any  giant  mackerel about    was you fishing near were the chain was put across    trapping the spanish boats    

Polruan castle.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

Did you count the jig time to the bottom ? There is sone very deep water in Fowey.

I was counting down 6 seconds per sweep, and on a couple of occasions I was hooking the tips of kelp fronds, so I didn't risk going much deeper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Yep, very worthwhile. 👍

It was a lovely evening to be out. Several people stopped for a chat, including a guy who had recently spent two days salmon fishing on the River Wye, only to catch a chub. 😖

I felt bad for him, especially as he was watching me reel in the wrasse as he was telling me about his expensive blank. 

Mind you, I was grateful not to be blanking myself 🤣

A barbel would have tested his gear for him..... Some big uns in the wye

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Andy135 said:

I was counting down 6 seconds per sweep, and on a couple of occasions I was hooking the tips of kelp fronds, so I didn't risk going much deeper.

About 20ft of water then, some places in the estuary go to well over 100ft.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

any particular technique from the shore??

i've just got some cheapo 28g ones from amazon to try off the bill

Cast out, take in the slack line and let them fall for a count of 10 (or whatever depth is appropriate for your marks), then sweep the rod up and reel in a few turns then let it sink down again. Rinse & repeat. The takes will be on the drop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You could also try dropping them straight down the side of the rocks off the Bill and jigging for wrasse. Simple up & down motion of the rod.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mike farrants said:

so pretty much sink and draw works if you aren't vertical jigging? 

Basically yes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...