Had the week off - plenty of fishing and a few targets acheived!

mike farrants

had the week off and the weather was lovely -

went out fishing on Sunday (see catch report)

took some friends out on the boat Monday - but no fishing

Kayaks on tuesday then fished chesil in the evening (see catch report)

went to exmouth and beer to be grockles on Wednesday (prawn sandwich was the closest i got to fishing) Beer was stunning!

image.png.d61c5ce20c1b54c2f985175a6ce6820d.png

Thursday kayaks again but no fishing

Friday we were at a loose end = Mrs really doesnt like fishing and doesnt really like the boat either - but we go out for a chug about as its so lovely and she can chill - she knows how badly i wanted to catch a red band fish so is happy to let me have a go as we pass the mark - small fish skin sabikis and after about 10 mins of trying bang - i finally get my red band. 

image.png.594860fe41ebbac9fb2fdb073b84cbb4.png

followed by a mackerel. 

in the evening we pack up the camper van and head over to join our friends in Selsey at their static caravan for the weekend (rods and tackle box in tow)

Sat we have a day on East Beach with my mates Ring 20 - its a mental boat - 200Hp Mercury 2 stroke - this thing flies - literally - 50+knots easily - i have the bruises to show the slamming. great fun - but a one trick pony. Mrs loved it too! 

image.png.d5b7b64d07d0540fdc2c378852e4b686.png

Sunday we aim to go fishing before we head back - but on route to the beach at 11.50am my van konks out - suspected drive shaft popped out - bugger - thats the day ruined - RAC called. We wait at the roadside for 5hrs in the searing heat  for a RAC man to tell me what i already knew - he then passes me on to the recovery team, a further 4 hours and we get picked up by a sub-contracted recovery firm to be taken to Rownhams Services to be relayed on to weymouth. we arrive at Rownhams at 10.30pm - no relay - multiple calls to RAC prove fruitless as they cant get another firm to take on the job - RAC don't care, terrible customer service, leave us stranded expecting they are working on it still - by 2.30am after being promised a return call 4 times we hear nothing back and assume were stuck there till the morning so settle down - thankfully we had the camper! At 5.30am after just a couple of hours sleep we get a call saying they've found a firm that will take us (i believe they mean the Sub contractors "sunday out of hours charges" time has passed). 

image.png.d028db053771c48d25396694a423605e.png

eventually at 9.30am we get loaded and taken home for 12pm - 24 hours to relay us a 2.5hr journey, madness and terrible customer service, i will be cancelling my RAC cover. 

Highlights of this week - Red band fish, Red mullet, Gold Sinny wrasse, Sand smelt - ice creams, beers, wine, ring 20, feeling what 50 knots feels like, laughs with mates 

Low lights - Boat budget will take a hit due to the stoopid T4 money pit. and i never got to fish Selsey East beach - but we will be back. 

11 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

went to exmouth and beer to be grockles on Wednesday (prawn sandwich was the closest i got to fishing) Beer was stunning!

Friday we were at a loose end = Mrs really doesnt like fishing and doesnt really like the boat either - but we go out for a chug about as its so lovely and she can chill - she knows how badly i wanted to catch a red band fish so is happy to let me have a go as we pass the mark - small fish skin sabikis and after about 10 mins of trying bang - i finally get my red band. 

followed by a mackerel. 

in the evening we pack up the camper van and head over to join our friends in Selsey at their static caravan for the weekend (rods and tackle box in tow)

Sat we have a day on East Beach with my mates Ring 20 - its a mental boat - 200Hp Mercury 2 stroke - this thing flies - literally - 50+knots easily - i have the bruises to show the slamming. great fun - but a one trick pony. Mrs loved it too! 

Sunday we aim to go fishing before we head back - but on route to the beach at 11.50am my van konks out - suspected drive shaft popped out - bugger - thats the day ruined - RAC called. We wait at the roadside for 5hrs in the searing heat  for a RAC man to tell me what i already knew - he then passes me on to the recovery team, a further 4 hours and we get picked up by a sub-contracted recovery firm to be taken to Rownhams Services to be relayed on to weymouth. we arrive at Rownhams at 10.30pm - no relay - multiple calls to RAC prove fruitless as they cant get another firm to take on the job - RAC don't care, terrible customer service, leave us stranded expecting they are working on it still - by 2.30am after being promised a return call 4 times we hear nothing back and assume were stuck there till the morning so settle down - thankfully we had the camper! At 5.30am after just a couple of hours sleep we get a call saying they've found a firm that will take us (i believe they mean the Sub contractors "sunday out of hours charges" time has passed). 

eventually at 9.30am we get loaded and taken home for 12pm - 24 hours to relay us a 2.5hr journey, madness and terrible customer service, i will be cancelling my RAC cover. 

Highlights of this week - Red band fish, Red mullet, Gold Sinny wrasse, Sand smelt - ice creams, beers, wine, ring 20, feeling what 50 knots feels like, laughs with mates 

Low lights - Boat budget will take a hit due to the stoopid T4 money pit. and i never got to fish Selsey East beach - but we will be back. 

Well done on the fish Mike, but please stop bleating on about your non fishing related issues🤣Remember there is a lot to be said for preventative maintenance 👍

Congrats on your red band fish! Sounds like a fun few days (not the drive shaft shafting you, obvs).

I'm with RAC, so I'm not too pleased to hear of your recovery nightmare. My only experience of needing their service is when I had a Discovery that shat all the hydraulic fluid for its self-levelling suspension system when I was on the way to the boat for a days fishing. Got recovered in the time it took my brother in law and I to walk to the nearest pub for a pint. But none of that's any good for you to hear now I suppose! 😉🤣

21 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Congrats on your red band fish! Sounds like a fun few days (not the drive shaft shafting you, obvs).

I'm with RAC, so I'm not too pleased to hear of your recovery nightmare. My only experience of needing their service is when I had a Discovery that shat all the hydraulic fluid for its self-levelling suspension system when I was on the way to the boat for a days fishing. Got recovered in the time it took my brother in law and I to walk to the nearest pub for a pint. But none of that's any good for you to hear now I suppose! 😉🤣

But seeing as you probably own the rac.....

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Do you have one of those crappy RAC badges on your cars front grill? 

15 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Well done Mike, you finally got your red band fish.👍

A can of petrol and a box of matches would have probably been a better VW option 🙄🤣

Having said that, I am changing the Volvo latter this week for a Discovery Sport ! 🤣

One word for you - Electronic handbrake. 

25 minutes ago, JonC said:

One word for you - Electronic handbrake. 

It has got 3 years full warranty, so it should be ok. Having said that the electronic handbrake on the Volvo has not been without its issues.  After 6 trips to the main dealer, I ended up fixing it myself !

3 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

It has got 3 years full warranty, so it should be ok. Having said that the electronic handbrake on the Volvo has not been without its issues.  After 6 trips to the main dealer, I ended up fixing it myself !

Full warranty and an actual full warranty can vary in what’s covered. If it’s main dealer usually ok but independents sometimes sub the work out and can be very wordy with their terms in my experience 

53 minutes ago, JonC said:

Full warranty and an actual full warranty can vary in what’s covered. If it’s main dealer usually ok but independents sometimes sub the work out and can be very wordy with their terms in my experience 

It is RAC premium warranty, supplied by the local merc main dealer against non merc vehicles. It is good for 3 years, or 100k miles ( whichever comes 1st) and a max claim of £22k per annum. It covers pretty much everything apart from the obvious service items. 

On 8/15/2022 at 5:02 PM, mike farrants said:

followed by a mackerel. 

Seems your not the only one, another VW van on back of breakdown truck at Baiter Poole,tried uploading phote but says too big.

According to Autotrader and J D Power VW `s are not very reliable,better of buying the badge and sticking it on Transit.😁

24 minutes ago, mick said:

Seems your not the only one, another VW van on back of breakdown truck at Baiter Poole,tried uploading phote but says too big.

According to Autotrader and J D Power VW `s are not very reliable,better of buying the badge and sticking it on Transit.😁

According to @suzook12transits are worse. I think Ford "hand-grenade"  was the term he used

35 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

According to @suzook12transits are worse. I think Ford "hand-grenade"  was the term he used

not what the experts say.

most people buy VW because of the badge not for their reliability.

Edited by mick

VW T4 s are known money pits - i knew that when getting into it and yes theres the lifestyle and badge that draws people in - id never be seen in a mazda Bongo for example - but i bet they are far better built and more reliable!

Its not the breaking down that is the issue (i expect that with an old van) its the complete Sh1tsh0w that was the recovery by the RAC - It never should have taken 12 hrs let alone the 24hrs to get me home.

1 hour ago, mike farrants said:

Its not the breaking down that is the issue (i expect that with an old van) its the complete Sh1tsh0w that was the recovery by the RAC - It never should have taken 12 hrs let alone the 24hrs to get me home.

They have said in the past that they prioritise responses by member demographic, so if you had been a lone female or a mum with kids...

Start Rescue, much better than AA. I've had to use them twice in cars, once before lockdown and once this year, been spot on both times and recovered within an hour at weekends. Got the trooper covered with the AA as Smart have a 7 metre maximum on trailers and have broken down twice without the boat on and taken minimum of 4 hours to be recovered.