Braid......

Ok, need some new braid. Not going to pay the silly prices for J braid and the like as need to fill several reels. So anyone got any suggestions for a good budget brand? And supplier would be useful too, as with amazon etc different suppliers stock different qualities of the same "brand"

Cheers

1 minute ago, suzook12 said:

Ok, need some new braid. Not going to pay the silly prices for J braid and the like as need to fill several reels. So anyone got any suggestions for a good budget brand? And supplier would be useful too, as with amazon etc different suppliers stock different qualities of the same "brand"

Cheers

That zebco shark stuff I bought seems ok, I haven’t been smashed up by a single whiting yet. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125299733756?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=crc_jvygqio&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Iv78hwFDRlC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

works a treat 🙂

look around as done sellers have different prices for same stuff. Use it for 90% of my fishing in different breaking strains 

37 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125299733756?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=crc_jvygqio&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Iv78hwFDRlC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

works a treat 🙂

look around as done sellers have different prices for same stuff. Use it for 90% of my fishing in different breaking strains 

Yep another vote for this. It's a bit thicker than j braid for the strain, but not that bad. I use on all my reels that have braid. 

57 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

works a treat 🙂

i will beat it in mind next time i knead some thanks for the tip

4 hours ago, Odyssey said:

works a treat 🙂

I use the same braid. I was reliably informed a few years ago that it is made in the same factory as shimano power pro, it also looks and feels identical.

2 hours ago, GPSguru said:

I use the same braid. I was reliably informed a few years ago that it is made in the same factory as shimano power pro, it also looks and feels identical.

If they changed their packaging to just a picture of you on the spool it would be a real winner 

I thought J braid was about as budget as you could go without running the risk of hit and miss Ebay braids. You might be running into false economy with very low cost lines which an often fail or fluff up after a few uses. Personally I would rather fill my most commonly used reel first with something half decent and put mono on the others until I could do the others.

3 hours ago, JDP said:

I thought J braid was about as budget as you could go without running the risk of hit and miss Ebay braids. You might be running into false economy with very low cost lines which an often fail or fluff up after a few uses. Personally I would rather fill my most commonly used reel first with something half decent and put mono on the others until I could do the others.

Spectra is pretty much the same as power pro. I have a couple of reels where the braid is over 5 years old, with no fluffing and no discolouration, but I am also aware of the issues you mention with other cheap chinky ebay braids. TBH, spectra is the only braid I will buy from China.

Although I can't do a truly 'scientific' line test (not an easy task), I do check the BS by using the same knot and the same Ruben Heaton scales on a regular basis (a couple of times a year), and this stuff seems to be generally OK.

There is no real excuse not to change it on a regular basis (other than time), as it is comparatively cheap when purchased in 1000m spools.

On 8/20/2022 at 11:04 PM, JDP said:

I use J Braid on pretty much all of my reels, boat and spinning. I must have had around 7 or 8 seasons use out of some of them, with no noticeable deterioration. As Mike says, buy once, buy right.

28 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I use J Braid on pretty much all of my reels, boat and spinning. I must have had around 7 or 8 seasons use out of some of them, with no noticeable deterioration. As Mike says, buy once, buy right.

Well 3-4 trips on the doggies is hardly stressing it 😉 

On a serious note line is always a personal choice… main thing is to look after it. When I was shore fishing I would use a higher quality mono as it was nicer to cast with but not so much of an issue on the boat. 

Not used J braid but the spectra is good. Hercules braid which is also on eBay is not as good and I wouldn’t go with that again. Main draw back with spectra is that not many colours so  when everyone uses it on the boat it makes getting out of tangles a bit more a challenge but nothing a knife can’t sort out 😉

On 8/22/2022 at 7:05 PM, Andy135 said:

I found quite the opposite but would still recommend J braid over power pro for budget line as that fluffs even worse. Typical use for me would be 2-3hrs of constant casting 40-70g metals, at shore locations for Aus salmon which are almost guaranteed, these put a fair amount of pressure on the line. From the boat using 25g micro jigs or even lighter soft plastics, any fluffing greatly reduces the fall which is often at depths from 50m -120m. Dropping a heavy lead or lure wouldn't be an issue. 

Buy one buy right, maybe if you tried something like 131, Shimano ocea or grappler braid you might get 15-20 seasons out of it and be able to pass it down to your grandkids 😂

Edited by JDP

• 9 months later...