Movement north of fish species.

I've been thinking, strange but true, about the changes in marine life. At one time bass and doggies were a rarity and noteworthy up in the NE of England and E Scotland but they are being caught with more regularity. This week I caught a Gurnard off the mouth of the Tyne and in the 70's and 80's pout were also a rarity up here and now I can almost guarantee to get one or two a session during the summer. 

I wonder if it is just the warming of the seas rather than the removal of big cod by fishing and lots of other possible things, sandeel decline, increasing herring numbers etc etc 

Your thoughts?

We had a massive surge in the amount of thornbacks in the Thames estuary, to the point that they became a bit of a pest. The numbers seem to be down this year maybe through overfishing or just their natural routine changing again. 
Dogfish have traveled further up the river than I’ve ever known. It’s all definitely changing. 

1 hour ago, Malc said:

I've been thinking, strange but true, about the changes in marine life. At one time bass and doggies were a rarity and noteworthy up in the NE of England and E Scotland but they are being caught with more regularity. This week I caught a Gurnard off the mouth of the Tyne and in the 70's and 80's pout were also a rarity up here and now I can almost guarantee to get one or two a session during the summer. 

I wonder if it is just the warming of the seas rather than the removal of big cod by fishing and lots of other possible things, sandeel decline, increasing herring numbers etc etc 

Your thoughts?

Also with this report of sword fish around us too. Seems that the waters are changing, there are quite a few trigger fish caught down our way, and sun fish spotted. 
A couple of weeks ago one of the PBSBAC members spotted a pod of orca near Poole bay. I think it was there, @Maverickor @MegaBytecan confirm! 

5 minutes ago, Malc said:

Do you remember the name, might be interesting to follow that up online, I'm sad like that!

I can't remember the name sorry. 
but it definitely wasn't these... 

https://metro.co.uk/2014/04/12/fisherman-finds-large-red-dildo-in-cod-he-has-just-caught-4697054/

28 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Also with this report of sword fish around us too. Seems that the waters are changing, there are quite a few trigger fish caught down our way, and sun fish spotted. 
A couple of weeks ago one of the PBSBAC members spotted a pod of orca near Poole bay. I think it was there, @Maverickor @MegaBytecan confirm! 

I remember seeing sunfish when I was on charter trips out of Newquay as a child and have seen them off of Dover 20 or so years back so not a new thing 

5 minutes ago, JonC said:

I remember seeing sunfish when I was on charter trips out of Newquay as a child and have seen them off of Dover 20 or so years back so not a new thing 

We'll, I'd never heard of them around here. I accept sometimes I can be wrong. 

17 minutes ago, JonC said:

They are up here, some muppet on WSF in Sunderland deliberately foul hooked one and said that he thought it was a baby seal!!! WTF 🤬

4 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Trigger fish have been around our way for quite a few years now but are very localised.  Sunfish are spotted every year, here'e one landed by a club member then promptly returned unharmed

3F03C686-55CA-4C13-AF44-3624ED7D07FF.jpeg

Re Orca's a pod was spotted off of Lulworth earlier this year.  We also see/hear reports of basking sharks annually

6 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

I don't know about the Orca,but I caught a Trigger fish 

Triggerfish 2.jpg

It's a good question though. Fish migrations have been happening for years - think of the Scarborough tuna industry in the 1920's and 30's. Just no-one seems to know precisely why the migrations occur and how far they will go.

13 hours ago, Andy135 said:

...Just no-one seems to know precisely why the migrations occur and how far they will go.

Indeed, but it does open up the idea that we should probably be fishing for those fish that might be there as well as those we know are. Tope and smoothie north of Flamborough? Turbos? 

14 hours ago, Andy135 said:

The mackerel seem to be moving north too, or at least leaving the south coast. That could just be because they don't like the Pompey water though...

when are the dog fish leaving

It’s not just fish…. (Increase in blue fin tuna, increased numbers of blue sharks etc) but other wildlife, we get more whales, Risso dolphins, common dolphins around, even some reports of flying fish off Gower….

is it global warming? El Niño, shift in Gulf Stream? Who knows…. Just need to change our expectations of fish from Cod to bonito perhaps…

On 8/28/2022 at 8:25 PM, Andy135 said:

It's a good question though. Fish migrations have been happening for years - think of the Scarborough tuna industry in the 1920's and 30's. Just no-one seems to know precisely why the migrations occur and how far they will go.

There is definitely a lot more to it than the seas warming. There are lots of things to take into consideration, such as water quality, as the West has slowly lost it's industrial might then pollutants from our estuaries will have decreased. More food available to other species with the demise of cod. As for cod, we have local commercial boats fishing over the sp[awning grounds, what chance do the stand?